Review by KaylynMoore -- We are Voulhire: A New Arrival ...

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
KaylynMoore
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kaylynmoore.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Review by KaylynMoore -- We are Voulhire: A New Arrival ...

Post by KaylynMoore »

[Following is a volunteer review of "We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies" by Matthew Tysz.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz is a fantastical, magical, modern twist on the oversaturated fantasy book scene. He brings the world of fantasy, magic, and traditional into the modern era through terminology and dialogue. Voulhire is a unique country, with a diverse community of people, and an interesting history.

Galen Bray is from a war-torn country far from the prosperous Voulhire; as fortune would have it, his uncle has left him a smith in the southern city of Magnum Caelum. He leaves the destitute islands he's known all his life to start on a grand adventure in a prosperous country. On his journey to live the life his uncle left him, he meets several friends that help him build his dream.

The nearby city of Hlilport is quickly becoming a booming trade center for the south with the help of Eldus Alderman. Appointed by King Wilhelm, Eldus has set off to enrich the small southern town and free it from it's dark past. The king aids Eldus in this endeavor as he tries to firmly establish a golden-age for his country. With the help, and sometimes interference, of his advisors and court Wilhelm attempts to solidify his place as ruler of Voulhire. Many obstacles block the path to the perfect kingdom he aspires to build, with some threats as old as Voulhire itself and others a new breed of danger.

The book seems to focus mainly on Galen Bray, as he is always speaking in the first person, while other main characters are referred to in the third person view. The chapters are set up in a very similar way to Game of Thrones, which provides a familiar and easy read. The author creates a world in such a way that you are constantly learning alongside Galen; all of the history, lore, and geography is introduced through his character and I absolutely love it. There is no long drawn out intro about how the country came to be or how every person matters. Any new information is presented to the reader via the characters, as opposed to the author giving a brief description or prologue. This keeps the book engaging and doesn’t cause that boring lull where you’re reading purely to make sure you keep up with the story.

I would give We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies 4 out of 4 stars. I found very few errors, and they never distracted from the story or its message. The book was easy to read but still enthralling enough to make me want to keep going. If you're a fan of the Game of Thrones series, or others like it, this book would definitely be a good fit. Personally, I look for books in a series as I enjoy the vast world they build, developing characters, and consistency in the story. I will be recommending this book to those who enjoy fantasy, its easy pace and well laid out plot make it perfect for on the go reading. I look forward to reading the other novels in this series.

We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”