Review by cvetelina_yovcheva87 -- We are Voulhire: A New...

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
cvetelina_yovcheva87
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cvetelina-yovcheva87.html
Latest Review: Our Autumn Years by Arthur Hartz

Review by cvetelina_yovcheva87 -- We are Voulhire: A New...

Post by cvetelina_yovcheva87 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies" by Matthew Tysz.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

We Are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies is the first novel in Matthew Tysz’s sequence. It represents an imaginary world full of magic, intrigues, and betrayals. I really enjoyed reading the novel and, as soon as I have a chance, I will read the other novels of the sequence.

We Are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies starts like a fairy tale. It presents the story of a king who wants to preserve his throne from the desires of his sons. The only possible solution the king sees is to separate his sons so that they will not unite against him. The four princes start a war with one another which lasts for more than twenty years. The lands ruled by the princes are ruined as a result of the constant wars. One of the people who escapes from the war-torn lands is Galen Bray. The boy travels to the desired Voulhire land where he inherits his uncle’s fortune. However, Galen Bray does not know who he may really trust. He is too naïve and is not acquainted with the customs in the new place he turns out to be.

As the story develops, it turns out that Voulhire is not such a perfect place as it first seems. It hides its awful secrets. One of them is related to general Meldorath. He has abused his magic and done awful things. People are still afraid of him, although he is claimed to be dead. His real destiny becomes clear as the story goes on.

My favorite part of the novel is the one which describes lord Eldus’s efforts to turn Hillport into a prosperous city. He is determined to help all those who have been abused by the previous rulers of the city. Unfortunately, lord Eldus’s destiny is quite dramatic. The only thing about the novel which I did not like was that there were too many subplots which were sometimes difficult to follow. I found it difficult to keep track of all the characters that appear throughout the novel, and their role in the development of the plot.

I rate We Are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies 4 out of 4 stars because the novel is full of suspense and twists and kept me interested till the last page. I recommend it to both adults and teenagers. However, the novel is not a suitable choice for those who prefer more realistic reads.

The novel is professionally edited, and I did not notice any typos. It is definitely worth reading, as it transfers the reader in an exciting imaginary world.

We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like cvetelina_yovcheva87's review? Post a comment saying so!
Daniel_
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 226
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-daniel.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Daniel_ »

cvetelina_yovcheva87 wrote: ↑16 Jun 2019, 08:10 My favorite part of the novel is the one which describes lord Eldus’s efforts to turn Hillport into a prosperous city.
For me, my favorite part was when the castle was attacked... it brought so much tension. :D
Great review!
Nisha Ward
Previous Member of the Month
2021 Reading Goal: 50
Favorite Author: Garth Nix
Favorite Book: Binti Home
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 255
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nisha-ward.html
Latest Review: Why Trial Attorneys Have Gray Hair by Richard T. Snrod Esq.
Reading Device: B0794RHPZD
fav_author_id: 4351

Post by Nisha Ward »

An overabundance of subplots is often a detriment to a novel but it sounds like with this one Galen's arrival in Voulhire is still enjoyable despite this. I'll be sure to check it out as I'm curious as to if his story and Lord Eldus' intersect in this book.
"...while a book has got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the reader it's got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the writer as well." - Terry Pratchett on The Last Continent and his writing.
adhambakry
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adhambakry.html
Latest Review: Divided World by Kenneth Pickering

Post by adhambakry »

Thanks for the review! I've read the book and loved it! The we are Voulhire series is indeed addicting.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”