Review by Brielle_S -- We are Voulhire: A New Arrival un...

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Brielle_S
Favorite Book: We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 4
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brielle-s.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko by Matthew Tysz

Review by Brielle_S -- We are Voulhire: A New Arrival un...

Post by Brielle_S » 15 Jun 2019, 10:54

[Following is a volunteer review of "We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies" by Matthew Tysz.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Galen Bray is a young refugee who is seeking a better life for himself in Voulhire, a rich and powerful land where his estranged great uncle owns a successful forge. After his uncle dies, Galen leaves the war torn land of princes and ventures to the town of Magnum Caelum where his uncle lived. Galen is quick to demonstrate his gratitude to the people of Voulhire for helping him escape from the chains of poverty by swearing to help them no matter what it takes. The land of Voulhire is not as perfect as it seems though. A plotting Mianoran knight who uses others as pawns in his game to seek power, a powerful wizard waiting to break free from his prison, and a group of rebels with a murderous hatred for Voulhire are only a few of the problems that Voulhire faces.

We Are Voulhire: A New Arrival Under Great Skies is the first in the We Are Voulhire series by Matthew Tysz. The author uses beautiful imagery and multiple points of view to paint a picture of the different characters and places in the enchanting world of Voulhire. The different realms and universes the author experimented with in the book were complex and creative. I found the map at the beginning of the book to be very helpful when I read about each of the locations.

I enjoyed reading from the different characters points of view. I believe that this added a lot to the story and made the characters more relatable. Each of the characters were thoroughly developed and while they didn’t undergo any major changes, they were obviously very complex. In addition to the brilliant imagery and amazing characters, Tysz used comedic relief to downplay some of the more serious and gruesome events in the book. This made the novel easier to read.

The characters relationships with one another were confusing, but as the book went on they got easier to keep track of. I would have liked to see more character development in the book as well.

The various characters in the novel brought with them their own themes. Galen demonstrated courage and bravery by travelling to a strange land. Galen also shows a great amount of enthusiasm when he arrives in Voulhire, wanting to show his gratitude to the citizens of his new land. When Galen finds that Voulhire is not as peaceful as he thought, the young man courageously tries to help his new nation.

I rate this book a 4 out of 4 stars. This book is easy to get hooked on and is enjoyable to read. The characters and imagery that Tysz used enhanced the story and made it come to life. This book was professionally edited and had few mistakes. I recommend this book to fans of fantasy books. I wouldn’t recommend this book to anyone who is upset by the use of vulgar language or violent imagery.

We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Brielle_S's review? Post a comment saying so!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”