Review by away5688 -- We are Voulhire: A New Arrival und...

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
away5688
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-away5688.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Review by away5688 -- We are Voulhire: A New Arrival und...

Post by away5688 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies" by Matthew Tysz.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

A refugee, Galen Bray, finds hope in Voulhire, as he inherits property from a distant relative. The king of Voulhire must deal with the corrupt leader of the knight’s order if he is to protect it. A prisoner bids his time in a small island surrounded by a small fleet of ships off the south shore of Voulhire, waiting for the perfect to make his escape. In distant, uninhabitable lands, rebels rise as they turn their weapons towards Voulhire once again.

We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies is a fantasy novel written by Matthew Tyz. It is around 139 pages. In it, we follow the lives of different characters as they navigate around the growing conflict that shrouds Voulhire.

The story is told in different perspectives. When told from the eyes of Galen Bray, who appears to be the main protagonist, it is told from first-person. The parts that feature other characters are told in third-person. It is an interesting choice. It serves to create a divide between Galen Bray and the rest of the cast, putting a large degree of importance on him. I couldn’t help but find myself amused by how he viewed the world with such fascination, and I found myself anticipating his further growth. As for the other characters, I felt distant from their troubles. I couldn’t invest myself into them as well as I could Galen Bray, primarily because I couldn’t empathise with how they felt, and also because the author did not shy away from killing off characters when it mattered.

I found that there is not much development for Galen Bray. While he is the main protagonist, most of his development is shoved to the side in favour of expanding more of the world through the other characters.

The storyline is well-developed. Any questions I had were answered as the story progressed, and I found myself with more questions as the plot thickened. Also, I liked how the author managed to neatly tie in the events from each character’s arc into one big conflict. The ending also did a good job of setting up future conflicts for the later books.

There are occasional typos and grammatical errors, but overall the writing is exceptional.

In conclusion, I have decided to rate this novel 4 out of 4 stars. The world-building is top notch, the plot is intricate, and the conflicts are well-thought. If you love fantasy, I would definitely recommend that you read this.

We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like away5688's review? Post a comment saying so!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”