Review by redheadmargo -- The Orb by Tara Basi

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
redheadmargo
Favorite Book: Waterworks
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-redheadmargo.html
Latest Review: East Wind, 2nd edition by Jack Winnick
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0

Review by redheadmargo -- The Orb by Tara Basi

Post by redheadmargo »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Orb" by Tara Basi.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Orb by Tara Basi is an incredible story that will appeal to anyone who enjoys science fiction. It will be especially appealing to those who read Alternate History, Dystopian future fiction and really anyone who loves a detailed story premise. The author does not disappoint on any of these counts. This book is so full of descriptive scenarios that you become immersed in the characters and their stories. I would not recommend this to someone who is looking for a light, easy read as it has depth and such an incredible story line that you will want to give it your full attention.

The crux of the story is set in future London, after several world conflicts that have decimated the planet. Some places remain habitable but the majority of the population is situated in impossibly deep bunkers that use technology to simulate the lost world above. We are introduced to several characters early on in the story. Zip, the detective for hire; Peter, the scientist who hires Zip to find the truth about his daughter Kiki; and several different factions who are battling for dominance in this world. The battles revolve around the title object of the book, the Orb. It is a giant blue ball that mysteriously appeared over London many years earlier and has been hanging suspended over the city since that time. It is also the catalyst for several world wars and most of the destruction wreaked upon the planet.

The two largest factions are in a standoff as each is plotting to gain ultimate control over the Orb and Zip has unknowingly been planted right in the middle of the battle. The book follows her and her convoluted struggle to find the truth about Kiki and her struggles with her family, former colleagues and even the body she inhabits. The author makes great use of artificial intelligence as a weapon and as a useful tool for all characters involved. She also employs virtual reality as an everyday occurrence in this world. This story is believable and some instances make you hope that this is not the future for the world that we live in. The conclusion is a suitable solution to the book’s finely written story.

I really enjoyed this book and look forward to reading more of this author’s work. I was unaware of any spelling, grammar or punctuation errors and I attribute that to it being well edited. I have no problem giving this book a rating of 4 out of 4 stars. I will read this book again!

The Orb
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like redheadmargo's review? Post a comment saying so!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”