Official Review: The Dark Raid Chronicles by Josh Hill

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
You must limit each topic thread in this section to only one book or only one series. Make the title of the topic the name of the book, and if possible also include the author's name. If you want to allow spoilers, you must include the word spoilers in the title of the topic, otherwise spoilers are prohibited.
mmm17
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 58
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mmm17.html
Latest Review: Cooperative Lives by Patrick Finegan

Official Review: The Dark Raid Chronicles by Josh Hill

Post by mmm17 » 14 Jun 2019, 10:22

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Dark Raid Chronicles" by Josh Hill.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Dark Raid Chronicles, written by Josh Hill, is a lively fantasy novel set in a medieval scenario. Kings, palaces, towers, citadels, elves, nymphs, sorcery, and wild creatures are some of the ingredients of this action-packed, imaginative tale. Readers follow a young man’s adventures as he navigates uncharted territory in a dangerous quest to find and help a friend in danger.

The book revolves around three teenagers who live in Kraylas: Skirly, Darkon, who goes by Dark, and Skirly’s sister Kalandra, who is engaged to Dark. In Kraylas, the highest among the eleven kingdoms of the realm, all young boys have to endure a coming-of-age ritual in which they must win a fight against a dangerous beast in an arena. Skirly is banished from the kingdom after he uses sorcery – an enchanted quill given to him by Dark – to survive this ritual. His sister Kalandra puts herself in danger by trying to follow him into the wild territories, and Dark also leaves Kraylas to find the siblings.

The medieval period has always stirred my imagination, and I was pleasantly surprised by this book. The writing style is vibrant, and the characters are believable and likable. The friendship between Dark and Skirly felt touching and inspiring, as well as their relationship with Kalandra. A good dose of suspense was sustained, resulting in a gripping story. The author is a talented storyteller who vividly describes medieval settings and ethos. Interesting magical elements and side stories get woven into the plot – I particularly liked how the author developed the Okas and the Hatons.

With that said, every genre has its clichés, and this book is no exception. It is a typical medieval fantasy novel, which reminded me of some of the genre’s recent bestsellers. However, this does not detract from the entertainment readers can get from it. Additionally, I found the book a bit lengthy. Some of its parts were a little repetitive and could be shortened or condensed, such as when Dark spends weeks roaming in search of Skirly and Kalandra.

Lastly, I rate the book 3 out of 4 stars. Overall, I thought it was a fun book to read. I’m taking a star away because I felt the editing is not yet in its final form; I found several errors in it. I believe it should appeal to readers who enjoy medieval fantasy. It might not be a good read for those who are put off by magical, supernatural elements.

The Dark Raid Chronicles
View: on Bookshelves

Like mmm17's review? Post a comment saying so!

kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
2019 Reading Goal: 95
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 48
2018 Reading Goal: 115
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 94
2017 Reading Goal: 100
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 94
Currently Reading: Scorched
Bookshelf Size: 283
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: Lone Star Odyssey by David Wilson

Post by kandscreeley » 17 Jun 2019, 09:31

Though it's a bit barbaric (or medieval??), I like the idea of boys coming of age this way (at least in a novel). I'm curious what happens after Skirly is banished. It sound interesting enough. Thanks!
“There is no friend as loyal as a book.”
― Ernest Hemingway

Nisha Ward
2019 Reading Goal: 40
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 65
Favorite Author: Garth Nix
Favorite Book: A Murder is Announced
Currently Reading: Breach
Bookshelf Size: 194
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nisha-ward.html
Latest Review: The Ultimate Guide to Zombies by Dave Robertson
Reading Device: B0794RHPZD
fav_author_id: 4351

Post by Nisha Ward » 19 Jun 2019, 18:37

Sometimes cliched plots can be entertaining and this certainly does sound like it. I'd like to know more about the Okas and the Hatons, as well as how the twins survive, so I might just look into this one.
"...while a book has got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the reader it's got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the writer as well." - Terry Pratchett on The Last Continent and his writing.

Letora
2019 Reading Goal: 90
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 48
Favorite Book: The Turn
Currently Reading: No Rest for the Wicked
Bookshelf Size: 134
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-letora.html
Latest Review: Cynthia and Dan by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Letora » 20 Jun 2019, 07:00

I love medieval fantasy novels! It does seem like the plot might need some work, but I would be willing to give it a try. Does the book have a lot of magic or just the hint of it? Thank you for reviewing!
"Fantasy is a necessary ingredient in living, it's a way of looking at life through the wrong end of a telescope." - Dr. Seuss

SunVixen
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 70
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sunvixen.html
Latest Review: The Turn by Matthew Tysz

Post by SunVixen » 22 Jun 2019, 12:48

"Kings, palaces, towers, citadels, elves, nymphs, sorcery, and wild creatures are some of the ingredients of this action-packed, imaginative tale."

Sounds like something interesting. Thank for review!

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”