Review by Ereader_541 -- We are Voulhire: A New Arrival ...

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Ereader_541
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ereader-541.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko by Matthew Tysz

Review by Ereader_541 -- We are Voulhire: A New Arrival ...

Post by Ereader_541 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies" by Matthew Tysz.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

We are Voulhire: A New Arrival Under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz was a great adventure that connects you to several different characters throughout the land of Voulhire. It begins with Galen Bray as he journeys to Voulhire to claim his deceased uncle’s forge in Magnum Caelum and begins to learn the skills of becoming a blacksmith. We are slightly introduced to King Wilhelm who appoints Eldus Alderman, a former judge, to become Lord of the town of Hillshire. Lord Eldus is coming to Hillshire after the previous Lords were murdered viciously during an encounter with a powerful mage. Lord Eldus is determined to bring the people of Hillshire out of a place of fear and poverty and takes actions to bring the village of Hillshire into a new and prosperous age. Hillshire is just a small village of fishermen but within its borders there is a dark secret that threatens Hillshire and the entire realm of Voulhire.

This book had many well-developed characters and a great storyline to connect them. With this being the first book in the series, the beginning of the book was just setting up the characters and the environment. As we got further into the plot the suspense and excitement grew. It became more difficult to put the book down as I came to the battle scene where the author brings everything that has been building-up into action. I can't wait to read the second installment in this series to find out what happens next.

What I liked most about the book was that there was a sense of a magical element in the book. One of the magical elements are the mages in Voulhire. Mages are people empowered with magical gifts that originate in the world of Caromentis. Caromentis is somewhat an alternate dimension that can be accessed from our world and vice versa. The author added the perfect amount of magic to the story to help elevate but not overpower it. Overall there wasn’t anything that I disliked about the book, it was just right for me.

I would give this book a 4 out of 4 rating. It was a thrilling new adventure that was well written. I came across 4 minor typos but overall this book appeared to be professionally edited. I chose this score because there were very few typos and I truly enjoyed the book. I believe that this would be a great read for almost any audience.

This book did contain a few areas where the characters used some vulgar words and slight sexual references. Also, with any battle scenes there must be bloodshed and while this book was not overly gory there is still the element of violence present. For these reasons, I would not recommend this book for younger readers but rather for a more mature audience, such as, young adults and older.

We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Ereader_541's review? Post a comment saying so!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”