Review by Dee_218 -- We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Dee_218
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dee-218.html
Latest Review: Lost and Love: Thailand (Book One of the Lost and Love Series) by Stella Knights

Review by Dee_218 -- We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End

Post by Dee_218 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End" by Matthew Tysz.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

We Are Voulhire: Someone Else's End is a third installation of the series written by Matthew Tysz. The series is sci-fi/fantasy fiction. I imagined it could be adopted into a television series. The author has a great writing style which switches from narrative to dialogue all the time. We get to experience the world through some of the important characters. Yet, for the most part, the author maintains the idea of an illusion that the entire story is told by Galen, I will explain why I was confused.

Galen comes from the destroyed Land of the Princes. He seems to be one of the very few survivors to have lived to experience the beauty of other cities. In his quest to experience Voulhire's aesthetic 'capitol', he gets his friends, Demetrius and Rowan, to accompany him. They together have a deep desire to head to Virko, to the palace, to seek help from the king. War ensues upon their arrival.Will their encounter be successful as the city gets attacked by dark magic and demonic creatures that destroyed the Land of the Princes?

I love that the novel is action-packed and mysterious. An assassin attacks king Willem during a court session that was to decide the city's future. The attack is both a work of the visible and invisible world at work. Spells, swords, spirits and martial arts are at play as we observe the action. The novel may be a dark sci-fi/fantasy but it is filled with warmth. It must have taken great skill for the writer to portray his characters (even those who carried out evil acts) in a warm way. The characters are full of sarcasm and witty jokes when they address each other throughout the book. An example of this hint of humor is in the conversation between Galen and Rowan where they were both arguing over perfecting Rowan's sword. Rowan says he doesn't want his sword perfect, he says this for the "10th time". The stubborn Galen replied, "for the 10th time" as well, that he wanted his "first sword to be perfect". The author's emphasis was necessary to create the dry humor in the conversation. The humor was enjoyable throughout the book.

My concern with We Are Voulhire: Someone Elses End is that it seems to have an old, church style setting. Such that you would compare it to the early centuries AD. The author even writes "my liege" to depict the era in language use, but I found that he portrayed this idea inconsistenly. Demetrius also explains preceding eras to Galen, and the current era they are in which reveals social advancements and its impact on the church. The advancement were not modern enough to have a 'capitol' that was built in modern building material and, in a world where people used swords and horses. The author lost me a bit with his switch of writing style. Although commendable, I sometimes felt like he would narrate, then Galen, then other characters as well. He should have removed himself from the narration. I noted only one typo on page 41.

I give the novel a 3 out of 4 mainly because of the points explained in the preceding paragraph. The novel is a page-turner and deserves a dedicated, imaginative reader. The reading audience can be anyone from 16 to 28 due to its highly animated demons and magic. The scenes are complicated enough to suit this demographic and for them to enjoy it. There is some use of foul language as well. (Capitol is spelled in this review as is spelled in the novel).

We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End
View: on Bookshelves

Like Dee_218's review? Post a comment saying so!

Bluebird03
2019 Reading Goal: 65
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 181
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bluebird03.html
Latest Review: Retort and Retribution by Jak Dello

Post by Bluebird03 »

What a very informative, detailed, and enlightening review! I thoroughly enjoyed reading it. Being one that appreciates dry wit, I can see why the author's humor appealed to you as well. Thank you, Dee 218, for a wonderful review!

Bluebird03
2019 Reading Goal: 65
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 181
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bluebird03.html
Latest Review: Retort and Retribution by Jak Dello

Post by Bluebird03 »

What a very informative, detailed, and enlightening review! I thoroughly enjoyed reading it. Being one that appreciates dry wit, I can see why the author's humor appealed to you as well. Thank you, Dee 218, for a wonderful review!

Dee_218
Currently Reading:
Latest Review: Lost and Love: Thailand (Book One of the Lost and Love Series) by Stella Knights

Post by Dee_218 »

Bluebird03 wrote:
02 Jul 2019, 12:41
Thank you for stopping by and taking the time to comment Bluebird. :D

Charlie19
2019 Reading Goal: 40
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 12
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-charlie19.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by Charlie19 »

I think I will read this after I finished the first one. Great review.

Nisha Ward
Previous Member of the Month
2019 Reading Goal: 40
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 100
Favorite Author: Garth Nix
Favorite Book: A Murder is Announced
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 247
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nisha-ward.html
Latest Review: Devoted Lyon by Alasdair Douglas-Hamilton
Reading Device: B0794RHPZD
fav_author_id: 4351

Post by Nisha Ward »

I liked this one. Seemed like you enjoyed the book and Galen's continued adventures quite a bit despite the anachronistic style and setting. Thanks for this!
"...while a book has got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the reader it's got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the writer as well." - Terry Pratchett on The Last Continent and his writing.

Dee_218
Currently Reading:

Post by Dee_218 »

Nisha Ward wrote:
03 Jul 2019, 08:13
I liked this one. Seemed like you enjoyed the book and Galen's continued adventures quite a bit despite the anachronistic style and setting. Thanks for this!
Thank you for stopping by. It is really a great read. :D

Dee_218
Currently Reading:

Post by Dee_218 »

Charlie19 wrote:
02 Jul 2019, 23:53
I think I will read this after I finished the first one. Great review.
Hey thanks you very much. Do enjoy the read!

Prisallen
2019 Reading Goal: 104
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 69
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 142
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prisallen.html
Latest Review: The Kahler Files #1--More or Less than Human by Eric Safflind

Post by Prisallen »

Thanks for a wonderful review! This sounds like a very interesting fantasy novel. I love books that have humor in that. I haven't read the previous books so how hard would it be to follow this one?

inaramid
Previous Member of the Month
2019 Reading Goal: 50
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 62
2018 Reading Goal: 48
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 77
2017 Reading Goal: 10
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 30
Currently Reading: Siege and Storm
Bookshelf Size: 139
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-inaramid.html
Latest Review: City of Ladies by Sarah Kennedy

Post by inaramid »

There seems to be a lot of backstory and worldbuilding in this one - looks like anyone interested will have to go back to the beginning of the series to fully grasp what's happening. Thanks for this review!

Nerea
Bookshelves Moderator
2019 Reading Goal: 15
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 166
2018 Reading Goal: 10
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 80
Favorite Author: William H. Coles
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 480
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nerea.html
Latest Review: Little White Lies by JC Anderson
fav_author_id: 89641

Post by Nerea »

Your summary and analysis of the book are clear and well-drafted. I sampled the book, but I didn't quite enjoy reading it. The flow of the story kept flactuating. And like you said the "switching of writing style" is a bit confusing. I appreciate your incredible piece. Thank you.
"Regular reading improves your grammar."

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”