Review by Thundershake -- We are Voulhire: The Fires of ...

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Thundershake
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thundershake.html
Latest Review: The Sins of a Master Race by Matthew Tysz

Review by Thundershake -- We are Voulhire: The Fires of ...

Post by Thundershake » 08 Jun 2019, 13:08

[Following is a volunteer review of "We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko" by Matthew Tysz.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

We Are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko, by Matthew Tysz is a dark/fantasy novel, the second in the We Are Voulhire series. The story mainly follows the life of Galen Bray, a strong and young nobleman who is very anxious to start his new life in Voulhire. Yet Voulhire isn’t the normal city people perceive it to be. Surreptitiously hidden within Voulhire’s depths, just beyond the façade portrayed by the city’s state-of-the-art houses and towns are the city’s true characteristics: its unholy conducts.

In order to gain total supremacy over the city, Voulhire’s current government creates an evil plan of replacing Feudalism with Capitalism. And somewhere within the deepest levels in a lord’s house, lies the most unholy of things in Voulhire. It lies trapped within the abysmal darkness: a beast denied passage to the outside world, and even denied death itself.

The Fires of Virko is an exceptionally great story, plot-wise and all. Matthew Tysz wonderfully depicts the story with a great, opulent plot with a diverse and lively cast of characters. He weaves excitement, wonder and mystery within the secretive lives of the citizens of Voulhire. Each of the view-point characters in the story has his own interesting tale, which somewhere in the future interlinks with the other view-point characters tales.

The character development is significant and intriguing for leading and supporting characters. Even those who come off as unlikable or characters who can easily be hated have their own comprehensible and very relatable characteristics. A greater loving of the book comes from how all elements of the story from plot to the characters were skillfully and artistically created and how all these elements fit in perfectly together.

Matthew Tysz prose is descriptively immersive. There isn’t a shortage of words or a feeling of over description in any of the chapters. The story is a very fascinating read. There is little to nothing one could hate from the telling of the tale.
The author’s language use is exceptionally flawless. I did not find anything I disliked from the telling of the story. However, I did discover a few grammatical errors, which leads me to conclude that the novel was professionally edited.

For the reasons mentioned, I conclude to give this book 4 out of 4 stars. I recommend this book to readers who enjoy great fantasy books of adventure and mystery; to those who can handle a little bit of what is abnormal or a little scary.

We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Thundershake's review? Post a comment saying so!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”