Review by zainherb -- We are Voulhire: A New Arrival und...

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
zainherb
2021 Reading Goal: 100
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zainherb.html
Latest Review: The Mindset by Ace Bowers

Review by zainherb -- We are Voulhire: A New Arrival und...

Post by zainherb »

[Following is a volunteer review of "We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies" by Matthew Tysz.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

WE ARE VOULHIRE: A New Arrival Under Great Skies.

WE ARE VOULHIRE: A New Arrival Under Great Skies, is the first book in the ‘WE ARE VOULHIRE' series. The story is narrated by a young man named Galen Bray who has just arrived in Voulhire as an immigrant from his war-torn country, The Lands of The Princes. Galen's great-uncle owns a forge in a small village in Voulhire called Magnum Caelum. Knowing he is close to dying, he wills his property to his great-nephew whom he has never met. Galen is located by his great-uncle's executor, Rowan, who assists in bringing Galen to Voulhire. Galen and Rowan become fast friends as Rowan helps Galen to settle in, while Galen learns how to operate the forge by reading his great-uncle's book. Demetrius, a monk from another town called Yamon Soul, joins them as he becomes employed by Galen.

In contrast to The Lands of The Princes, Voulhire is a relatively peaceful and prosperous country. It, however, has its internal issues as any country does. There is the talk among the people that the dangerous and powerful mage, Meldorath has not been executed as the King claims, but is alive and will, very soon, resume committing acts of terror as he did before he was captured. The little town of Hillport has received yet another delegate sent by the king to oversee and ensure progress in the town, but, after the town's previous experiences, the people are slow to trust the king and his delegates. The Riva Rohavi, a rebel group known for its troublesome acts all over the country, has gotten a new leader, and after being silent for the past five to seven years, may start killing and pillaging once again. The members of the Mianora council, which presides over such critical matters in the country, are unable to agree on how to handle the Riva Rohavi.

WE ARE VOULHIRE: An Arrival Under Great Skies, by Michael Tysz, is the third book I've read in its series after reading the second and third books following it, and this one is just as compelling as the others. The characters are very well developed and the plot is full of twists and turns that challenge the reader's mind. Michael Tysz creates a completely different universe consisting of the physical realm called Cosmos and a magical realm called Caromentis, from which all mages derive their magical abilities. This makes one think of the universe in a way different from what one is used to. Every character and event is described in such graphic detail, that the reader will feel present in that world.

What I like particularly about this book is the plot. It makes me think of Game of Thrones, and Lord of the Rings. I can hardly wait to read the next books in the series if they are available. I could not find a single thing that I disliked in the entire book and even found myself slowing down my reading so as not to quickly finish reading the book. The book was very well edited and I particularly like the fact that each chapter has an engaging title rather than just numbers.

I recommend this book to anyone who loves reading fantasy. I would not, however, recommend it to underage readers because of the use of strong language and reference to adult topics in the book. Because of the good job done editing, the strong plot and the good character development, I rate the book four out of four stars.

We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like zainherb's review? Post a comment saying so!
:techie-reference:

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”