Official Review: Demonslayer by Ian P. Eviston

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
You must limit each topic thread in this section to only one book or only one series. Make the title of the topic the name of the book, and if possible also include the author's name. If you want to allow spoilers, you must include the word spoilers in the title of the topic, otherwise spoilers are prohibited.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
2019 Reading Goal: 95
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 41
2018 Reading Goal: 115
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 94
2017 Reading Goal: 100
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 94
Currently Reading: Scorched
Bookshelf Size: 275
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: E M P Honeymoon by Dorothy May Mercer

Official Review: Demonslayer by Ian P. Eviston

Post by kandscreeley » 07 Jun 2019, 09:37

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Demonslayer" by Ian P. Eviston.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Demonslayer by Ian P. Eviston takes place in a world where magic, demons, and aether are commonplace. The demons and humans have a tentative treaty, but not all the demons are happy with it. Members of their race are starving to death; they feed off the aether of humans which they can't do with the current treaty. There is a synthetic aether substitute, but it's not enough to feed all of the demons. A rebellion is imminent, and humans are at risk.

Emily and Spirit Clayborn live in the poor section of the town of Crossus, along with every other miscreant of their society. Their parents were taken from them when they were young, and they were banished to this section of town. Emily is dying from leukemia, and Spirit is determined to do whatever it takes to cure her, even if it means losing his own life in the process. He competes against others in a tournament where the loser has body parts fed to cannibals to make money for her treatments. When battling another undefeated champion, something changes within Spirit that will change life as he knows it.

I loved the premise behind Demonslayer. Humans and demons coexisting in a tentative peace that's short-lived? It's action-packed, going non-stop from almost the first scene. I can guarantee you won't be bored when reading this novel. I think my favorite part was Spirit discovering that there's more to him than meets the eye. It introduces the reader to the world of magic and all the rules that go with it.

The story is in the third person perspective, but we follow several different characters throughout the novel. We even get a glimpse into life as a demon. When demons want to destroy the human race for their purposes, you wouldn't think that you'd sympathize with them at all, but the author helps us to do just that by showing us their lives, their spouses, and their children.

Having said that, the shift in perspectives is not always clear. There were instances where one second we'd be following along with Spirit; the very next paragraph, however, we'd be in a completely different location with another character. Several times I found myself having to reread to figure out the new perspective. I felt like the transitions should have been delineated, so this wouldn't be an issue.

In spite of the problem with perspectives, I enjoyed the variety of characters that the author presented. There are different cultures, even within the human race, each with their own peculiarities. One of my favorites was a young adult named Taya. She doesn't always use phrases correctly, which leads to some humorous moments in the midst of what could otherwise be an overly somber situation. At one point, she says, "You should not engage in the judging of books by the face you see." When Spirit corrects her, she then says, "That is it! Do not do the assuming of things."

Sadly, the book lacks professional editing. There were errors in every part of the book. Homophone errors ("queue" instead of "cue") and typographical errors ("hey" instead of "they") were the most common. It was enough that it was distracting to the story, and I found myself having to scour a few sentences to discover the hidden meaning. Still, the author used a few ten dollar words that I enjoyed learning. For example, he uses the words cachinnation and chary.

I would love to give Demonslayer a perfect score, but the errors were too numerous and the perspective changes too jarring. Therefore, I must rate it 2 out of 4 stars. That's not to say the book doesn't have merit; I loved the characters, technology, and magic. Once it's edited appropriately, I would be glad to change my score. As it is, I recommend it to those that enjoy a good fantasy novel, but you must be able to overlook errors and keep up with perspective changes. I must end with a word of caution. While I wouldn't necessarily classify the book as having a cliffhanger ending, it does make a segue towards the next book in the series. If you aren't interested in reading a series, you will want to avoid this book. It is also somewhat violent with dark characters and gory scenes; therefore, I wouldn't recommend it to a younger audience. Even with its issues, I can't wait to see what Mr. Eviston comes up with next!

Demonslayer
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like kandscreeley's review? Post a comment saying so!
“There is no friend as loyal as a book.”
― Ernest Hemingway

Kibetious
Previous Member of the Month
2019 Reading Goal: 70
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 20
2018 Reading Goal: 100
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 49
Currently Reading: Explore Experience Evolve
Bookshelf Size: 722
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kibetious.html
Latest Review: Dimensions of a New Civilization by Andrew Masuku

Post by Kibetious » 08 Jun 2019, 03:37

I have always enjoyed reading action-packed books and especially the ones such as this that are able to keep one glued to the book to the end. I hope the errors will be corrected. Thanks for the review.
​​​​​​He gives strength to those who are tired; to the ones who lack power, he gives renewed energy :techie-studyinggray:

kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley » 08 Jun 2019, 05:54

Kibetious wrote:
08 Jun 2019, 03:37
I have always enjoyed reading action-packed books and especially the ones such as this that are able to keep one glued to the book to the end. I hope the errors will be corrected. Thanks for the review.
I hope so, too. In all other respects, it's a great book. Thank you for your comment.
― Ernest Hemingway

mmm17
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mmm17.html
Latest Review: The Dark Raid Chronicles by Josh Hill

Post by mmm17 » 08 Jun 2019, 08:01

It's interesting that you mentioned how you felt like the transitions should have been better delineated. I can relate to that feeling. I felt the same way about some of the books I've reviewed and this really bothered me. Thank you for a great review! I really enjoyed reading it.

cecemi_
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25

Post by cecemi_ » 08 Jun 2019, 10:15

Brilliant! I love books that are fast-paced but still have plenty of character development and vivid descriptions, and this was a winner on all counts! I can't even pick a favorite character because I became attached to several. Yes, there are incredible battle scenes, but those aren't the only parts where I could't put the book down - I pretty much read it in one sitting! My favorite element, though, is all the great descriptions. The cannibalistic demons are INCREDIBLE!!

TuyetMai
Currently Reading: Raptor
Bookshelf Size: 65
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tuyetmai.html
Latest Review: The Chauvinist's Guide to Modern Romance by Morris Rollins

Post by TuyetMai » 08 Jun 2019, 11:12

Wow! It sounds like an interesting book with the multi-dimensional view of the demons, but I'd rather check it out once it's properly edited. Thank you for the insightful review.

kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley » 08 Jun 2019, 12:55

mmm17 wrote:
08 Jun 2019, 08:01
It's interesting that you mentioned how you felt like the transitions should have been better delineated. I can relate to that feeling. I felt the same way about some of the books I've reviewed and this really bothered me. Thank you for a great review! I really enjoyed reading it.
It was very jarring for me. It made the reading harder than it should have been. Otherwise it was a good story. Thanks!
― Ernest Hemingway

kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley » 08 Jun 2019, 12:57

cecemi_ wrote:
08 Jun 2019, 10:15
Brilliant! I love books that are fast-paced but still have plenty of character development and vivid descriptions, and this was a winner on all counts! I can't even pick a favorite character because I became attached to several. Yes, there are incredible battle scenes, but those aren't the only parts where I could't put the book down - I pretty much read it in one sitting! My favorite element, though, is all the great descriptions. The cannibalistic demons are INCREDIBLE!!
Yes! It was quite an interesting book. Very enjoyable on so many levels. Thanks for commenting.
― Ernest Hemingway

kdstrack
2019 Reading Goal: 100
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 56
2018 Reading Goal: 100
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 106
Currently Reading: The Engine Woman's Light
Bookshelf Size: 239
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: An Unexpected Mess by Marie Washtag

Post by kdstrack » 08 Jun 2019, 15:17

This author takes the story into avenues that one wouldn't expect, e.g. demons having families! I also thought the synthetic aether for demon food was quite creative. Mr. Eviston has presented some unique themes into this book. I enjoyed your description of this book. Great job!

kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley » 08 Jun 2019, 15:37

kdstrack wrote:
08 Jun 2019, 15:17
This author takes the story into avenues that one wouldn't expect, e.g. demons having families! I also thought the synthetic aether for demon food was quite creative. Mr. Eviston has presented some unique themes into this book. I enjoyed your description of this book. Great job!
Oh yes! His world is quite unique and well-written. Worth reading for sure. Thanks for stopping by.
― Ernest Hemingway

Scarlet Nicoll
Currently Reading: Screamcatcher
Bookshelf Size: 180
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scarlet-nicoll.html
Latest Review: The Toki-Girl and the Sparrow-Boy Book 1 by Claire Youmans

Post by Scarlet Nicoll » 09 Jun 2019, 03:25

As you mentioned, I too love the premise, but too bad about the errors. Thank you for the heads up!

kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley » 09 Jun 2019, 07:08

Scarlet Nicoll wrote:
09 Jun 2019, 03:25
As you mentioned, I too love the premise, but too bad about the errors. Thank you for the heads up!
I'm sure the author can fix that. Thanks for commenting.
― Ernest Hemingway

Prisallen
2019 Reading Goal: 104
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 31
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prisallen.html
Latest Review: Burying Leo by Helga Gruendler-Schierloh

Post by Prisallen » 09 Jun 2019, 09:12

It certainly seems as if this book has a lot of potential once the errors and transitions in perspectives are fixed. Thanks for a very thorough and informative review!

Stephanie Elizabeth
2019 Reading Goal: 40
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 60
Currently Reading: Cynthia and Dan
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephanie-elizabeth.html
Latest Review: The Grey World by Bri McKay

Post by Stephanie Elizabeth » 09 Jun 2019, 18:31

A battle between humans and demons! Not something I would normally read, but your summary was so well-written that now I am thinking I might give it a chance. It is too bad that the shifts in perspective lacked proper transitioning. Thanks for the honest review!

Samy Lax
2019 Reading Goal: 53
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 47
2018 Reading Goal: 38
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 118
Currently Reading: Dealing with the Devil
Bookshelf Size: 114
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samy-lax.html
Latest Review: Breaking The Stupid Mold by Tania Kolar

Post by Samy Lax » 10 Jun 2019, 00:54

It's always a pleasure to know there exists another book that I can read without getting bored. The only issue is that my To-Read list is getting irrationally lengthy. Great review!
“If you're reading this...
Congratulations, you're alive.
If that's not something to smile about,
then I don't know what is.”
― Chad Sugg, Monsters Under Your Head

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”