Review by Sinclairess -- We are Voulhire: A New Arrival ...

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Sinclairess
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 68
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sinclairess.html
Latest Review: Project Tau by Jude Austin

Review by Sinclairess -- We are Voulhire: A New Arrival ...

Post by Sinclairess »

[Following is a volunteer review of "We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies" by Matthew Tysz.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Set in a fictional world, We are Voulhire: A New Arrival Under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz is the first book in the series. The story begins in the Land of Princes, where there is constant feuding. The entire country is named Voulhire. Galen Bray is a main character who escapes from the dangerous Land of Princes to inherit his late great uncle’s blacksmith legacy in the small town of Magnum Caelum. His uncle’s executor, Rowan, promises to help Galen get settled in. Galen travels Voulhire as an awed tourist. Meanwhile, King Wilhelm of Voulhire attempts to protect the lands from the great and mysterious mage Meldorath, whose reign left many people, young and old, scarred by his mastery of magic. The story alternates between Galen, King Wilhelm, and several other characters. Though there are many points of view, they all merge into a seamless storyline.

It is evident that a lot of thought was put into the story because all of the names, places, and cultures are custom. There is a map on the first page. The map will be a very helpful reference when reading because there are a great many details particular to one city or area. Each area has its own distinctive history, yet each history represents the core of all its people. The citizens of Voulhire are all united by a common goal: to be the best that they can be, even though they all have different obstacles.

I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars! It was likely professionally edited because I did not find any typos or grammatical errors. It is formatted well. The vocabulary is sophisticated. I enjoyed reading it because of the sheer entertainment it gave me. I often found myself gasping and holding my breath, anxious to find out what would happen next. The plot twists were surprising, but fit well with the sequence of events. Tysz made an enthralling story.

I am fond of this book because it is pleasantly stuffed with enchantment. I appreciate Tysz’s heavy focus on magic. The book explores not only how entertaining magic is, but how powerful it is because of its unpredictability. There are several different types of mages. There are biomages who control all bodily functions. Telemages can transmit thoughts to one another from great distances. The best mages and warriors control their bodies and abilities through dance! There is always a connection that blends magic with greatness.

Anyone who wants to read a fantasy book with its own unique world should read this book. Beware that there is a bit of profanity, explicit themes, and violence. Other than that, it should be suitable for many. There is an even mix of humor and solemnity, so it did not make me feel overwhelmed by any mood in particular. If you’re looking for an ongoing adventure, look no further than We are Voulhire: A New Arrival Under Great Skies. I look forward to reading the next installment!

We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Sinclairess's review? Post a comment saying so!
“It's far less important to me to be liked these days than to be understood.” :sad-teareye:
― Lionel Shriver, We Need to Talk About Kevin
Shrabastee
2021 Reading Goal: 30
Favorite Book: The Warramunga's War
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 728
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shrabastee.html
Latest Review: Fateful Eyes by Dr. Panos Nomikos

Post by Shrabastee »

You know what? This book is just perfect for me. I am all about magic,fantasy and new worlds. From your review,it seems this book makes good on all those aspects. I have been planning to read this,and now I am surer than ever that I will. Thanks for the review!
Sinclairess
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 68
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sinclairess.html
Latest Review: Project Tau by Jude Austin

Post by Sinclairess »

Shrabastee wrote: 08 Jun 2019, 03:06 You know what? This book is just perfect for me. I am all about magic,fantasy and new worlds. From your review,it seems this book makes good on all those aspects. I have been planning to read this,and now I am surer than ever that I will. Thanks for the review!
Thanks for reading and thank you for your enthusiasm! Please read this book, you will not regret it. I am about to read the next book as we speak! :D :reading-2:
“It's far less important to me to be liked these days than to be understood.” :sad-teareye:
― Lionel Shriver, We Need to Talk About Kevin
jokinyo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jokinyo.html
Latest Review: The Arrow That Flies By Day by John Servant

Post by jokinyo »

I love the magic and mages in this book, i am looking forward to more of this in the next book.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”