Review by Juju15 -- We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under...

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Juju15
Favorite Book: The Reel Sisters
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-juju15.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Review by Juju15 -- We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under...

Post by Juju15 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies" by Matthew Tysz.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

If you are seeking to immerse yourself in a fantasy world, then you will likely enjoy We are Voulhire: A New Arrival Under Great Skies!

In this first book of the series We are Voulhire, the author, Matthew Tysz, introduces the reader to an extraordinarily intricate world, composed of magic and mysteries. We first get to meet Galen, following him on his journey to his uncle’s forge, where he is expected to take over, despite never meeting him or having any forging experience. From his homeland, where war has been going on for more than twenty years , he is now heading to a peaceful land called Voulhire. Then, we learn more about this enchanted society through the eyes of many more protagonists, like a King who is trying to keep his empire under control or a Lord who is given a new fief to rule over but uncovers its dark and violent past. We get to see omnisciently the actions and thoughts of each individual. This way, we come to know about rumors involving a dangerous and power thirsty mage. The problem now is, where is this deadly sorcerer and what is he really capable of?

I truly enjoyed this novel! The way the author created this fantasy universe really plunged me into the story. What I also find admirable, is how intricate the vocabulary and sentence structures are, but yet very comprehensive, and it blends perfectly in the story’s framework. Tysz also made the choice to change pronouns between characters. For example, when a chapter is about Galen, the writing is told in the first person. Then, when we swap to a different protagonist, like the King of Voulhire, the text is changed to the third person. I think this makes reading less monotone and it was a marvelous idea. Also, on the first page of the book is a map of Voulhire with its many cities. This illustrates well the story since we are given many cities and town’s names and I personally can say that it helped me to visualize better the events that spanned several locations. It also adds an element to this imaginary story.

I have no negative comments to make about We are Voulhire: A New Arrival Under Great Skies. It is professionally edited and well structured. I would recommend it to anyone who loves fantasy novels and out of this world tales, but I would also highly recommend it to people who think they do not enjoy fantastic stories because this could make you change your mind about this genre. I give this book a 4 out of 4 stars. I will certainly read the rest of the series!

Overall, I think the author created a very interesting and detailed world with a storyline full of surprise and ambiguities. It is very easy and entertaining to read and I can’t wait to move on to the second book!

We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Juju15's review? Post a comment saying so!
Daniel_
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 226
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-daniel.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Daniel_ »

Juju15 wrote: 06 Jun 2019, 10:15 I truly enjoyed this novel!
Glad to know that you did too. I should read the next part of the series very soon.
Great review!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”