Review by Moray_001 -- We are Voulhire: A New Arrival un...

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Moray_001
2021 Reading Goal: 20
Currently Reading: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-moray-001.html
Latest Review: Mirrored Worlds by Tayma Tameem

Review by Moray_001 -- We are Voulhire: A New Arrival un...

Post by Moray_001 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies" by Matthew Tysz.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

We Are Voulhire: A New Arrival Under Great Skies is an outstanding and truly captivating Sci-Fi/Fantasy novel written by Matthew Tysz. It is set in a fictional world of two dimensions, Earth and Caromentis, which is the world of magic. Caromentis is accessible to very few people.

The book begins with a young man named Galen who is on a journey of escape from the terrible Land of the Princes. It is a war-torn area which has humbled its citizens and nearly broken their spirit. Galen is on a journey to Voulhire, Magnum Caelum to be specific. Upon arrival, he meets Rowan, the executor of his late uncle’s will, who becomes his companion while adjusting to his new life. They form allies with a mage after the discovery of a mysterious stone which may possess great value. A new lord, Eldus, is sent to the small city of Hillport to redeem the town from the effects of the actions of the former lords, Orlin and Meldorath. In the midst of all this, the Riva Rohavi, an old enemy of Voulhire is brewing a dark and catastrophic uprising. King Wilhelm, the king of Voulhire, is quite unprepared for the disaster that is about to strike his land after many years of peace and prosperity.

The first thing I absolutely love about the novel is that it is multi-faceted. There are many characters with different agendas of their own and it leaves you guessing who is genuine and who isn’t. I’m glad it wasn’t a linear storyline where the reader can guess all the events that will occur from the start. I’m excited to discover Galen’s role in the plot of events and whether or not he will be a useful tool in the war that is brewing.

The few things I didn't enjoy about the story were some confusing descriptions of events that took place. There were also two or three grammatical errors but they didn't really distract my interest. Some of the descriptions during attacks were very graphic and made me wince at the vivid imagination. At first, I thought Galen's attitude was too subdued for someone who has been through a tough life but I feel he will evolve and become bold as the story progresses.

I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars because it took me on a journey to a different dimension and left me anticipating the next book in the series. I recommend it for those who love reading about fictional worlds with an element of magic and fantasy. It isn’t suitable for people who can’t stand graphic descriptions of violence.

We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Moray_001's review? Post a comment saying so!
jokinyo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jokinyo.html
Latest Review: The Arrow That Flies By Day by John Servant

Post by jokinyo »

We are together in that journey, i think Matthew really knows how to capture the readers mind.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”