Review by Helene_2008 -- We are Voulhire: The Fires of V...

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Helene_2008
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 8
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-helene-2008.html
Latest Review: Arsenic and Old Men by Glenn Ickler

Review by Helene_2008 -- We are Voulhire: The Fires of V...

Post by Helene_2008 » 01 Jun 2019, 18:17

[Following is a volunteer review of "We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko" by Matthew Tysz.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Matthew Tysz's second installment in his series, We are Voulhire, brings us new characters and new worlds, specifically Alitheia, the spirit world. The novel is set in the town of Virko, which much like present day earth, religion holds little power and industry rules. Again the book is told from multiple perspectives, this time with three main characters. Galen returns with his band of merry men, Rowan and Demetrius. They are not settled for very long in Magnum Caelum from their last adventure, before the mayor calls on them for another task. He asks them to seek a supplier of iron from Virko, the town Demetrius grew up in, for weapons. While the men are able to complete their original task rather quickly, their stay is much longer than intended due to a favor asked by Lord Venden on his death bed.

Another main character, who resides in Virko, is Hans Hrelek, Lord Venden's son, also known as Folcro. First impressions paint Folcro as a recluse young man hidden up in the castle of Rendenhide. As the story progresses, we never find out the origin for this nickname, but we do find out more about the young Lord's activities, both sinister and slated. Folcro's acts of revenge will have you squirming in your skin.

Last but not least, is the Eiodi, the head priest of Yamon Soul. The Eiodi is best described as a quirky, red headed, old man looking to keep religion in an ever secular world. One of the tasks of the Eiodi is overseeing the investigation of unusual disturbances of magic throughout Voulhire. Two disturbances are encountered in this book: a powerfully imbued object constantly emitting magic in Hillport and a virus that seems benign. The powers of both objects stand to change the future of Voulhire forever.

I give We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko a 4 out of 4 rating. While I gave the previous book in the series the same rating, I enjoyed this book a little more. I was excited to see what was in store for the characters after the action packed ending of the first book. I was also thrown by where Alabaster's loyalties lie. I thought Tysz had some interesting ideas in his book like the circular relationship between flesh, magic, and spirit worlds. Also about Heaven being timeless because time is an object given a name by man, like all other things in our universe.

I was a little frustrated that the book didn't address some things that were introduced in the first book. What happened to this Beth character? What is King Wilhelm doing about what happened in Hillport? Where are the Riva Rohavi? The book was well edited though I did find a few mistakes. These few shortcomings do not inhibit me from recommending this series though. I would recommend this novel to anyone who enjoys adventure/action and fantasy novels. Based on some of the content I would recommend this book for young adults and older. I hope others will join me in finding out what Galen has in store next.

We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko
View: on Bookshelves

Like Helene_2008's review? Post a comment saying so!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”