Official Review: Spawn of my error by Griff D. Johnson

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Manang Muyang
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 686
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Official Review: Spawn of my error by Griff D. Johnson

Post by Manang Muyang »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Spawn of my error" by Griff D. Johnson.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Griff D. Johnson is a Christian, albeit not the usual one. He refuses to believe that God created man and woman for them to disobey Him and for Him to punish them. God is love personified, so how can He be so cruel? Johnson’s musings keep him busy, and one day, Eve herself comes to tell him the naked truth. Spawn of My Error: Eve’s Odyssey is the result of his five years of fellowship with Eve, the mother of all living.

One fine evening, Eve apprises him, “Dude, I have an interview with News One Southern California. It’s time to tell all.” It’s apparently time to reveal why God allowed the first couple to fall.

Johnson utilizes interesting characters in this fantasy piece. These include the media people, heroes and villains from Revelation in the Bible, human brainchildren like Tarzan, the blue Avatars, and the Greek mythological character Cassandra, and many more. The hodgepodge can be entertaining to the reader who loves trivia, but it may be endlessly confusing to one who wants focus in a book.

I can divide the book into five distinct parts. The first centers on the main characters: Eve, Dude, and the media people, Rick, Cindy, and Stan. We also meet the media mascot, the dog Chipper. This part culminates with the televised interview. Parts two to five see more characters and scenarios being introduced. I am wont to think of the five parts as separate stories. Of the five, I found the story on the moon, the fourth, the hardest to appreciate. The devils there gave me one hell of a time. I struggled to comprehend their cryptic “demon-speak” and cringed at their diabolical guffaws. (I am sure that hell would be eternal torture; I better do my best not to end up there.)

The book is rife with paragraphs discussing God’s goodness and expounding on Christian values. However, being a “free-thinking” Christian, Johnson also employs provocative language and expletives galore. These may cause traditional religious folk to cross themselves.

The book is all dialogue, huge chunks of it. There are various challenges in digesting the conversations. The author is averse to dialogue tags, so the reader is left to guess who is talking. This is especially difficult when there are more than two characters conversing. The author also shuns the commas needed in direct address, furthering the confusion. Moreover, his dialogues are peppered with ellipses such that many of the statements are mystifying fragments.

The editing is hideous. The author does not favor commas; he also dislikes hyphens. Apart from the missing punctuation, there are misspellings and misused homophones. As the subject matter is not exactly simple, I had a seriously difficult time deciphering some of the messages.

Johnson has a very fertile imagination, and his book will appeal to those with the same gift. His Eve is intelligent, beautiful, and strong; she also has a unique and stunning power. Women readers will delight in her portrayal. Fans of Revelation will find the moon battle reminiscent of John’s visions, with the added novelty of seeing the devils plotting their malevolent stratagems.

I am giving the book 2 out of 4 stars. I deducted two stars: one for the bad editing and the second for the convoluted conversations. Johnson’s work deserves no less. Readers will come away from it with lots of lessons to ponder and will hopefully understand Eve’s error in judgment on that fateful day in Eden. I suppose this understanding is what Eve asks of us who believe that she is our mother and that we are her spawn.

Spawn of my error
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Miriam Molina's review? Post a comment saying so!
kdstrack
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

I appreciate your honest comments about this book. It's not for me. Thanks for your review.
SangeethaNarayan
Currently Reading: The Prophet
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sangeethanarayan.html
Latest Review: Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base

Post by SangeethaNarayan »

The premise seems so interesting. I wish the editing were better. I wish authors cared a little more about presenting their thoughts well. If its not readable, why should even bother reading it?
evraealtana
Currently Reading: The Signature of All Things
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-evraealtana.html
Latest Review: Never Teach A Pig to Sing. It is a waste of Time by Freida Atwood

Post by evraealtana »

Ugh. Poor editing is an absolute mood-killer. I was so interested in the premise, and so let down by your description of the errors. I don't think I'll put myself through it. Thank you for the review.
Alice Heritage
Review Team Guidelines Team Leader
Favorite Author: Wilkie Collins
Favorite Book: Wuthering Heights
Currently Reading: 50 Masterpieces of Gothic Fiction
Bookshelf Size: 379
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alice-heritage.html
Latest Review: Dissonance by Aaron Ryan
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 1
fav_author_id: 1
Signature Addition: Mod

Post by Alice Heritage »

Yes, the premise sounds right up my alley - you know I'm a demon fan! Shame it didn't deliver and that the editing was poor. Thanks for your thorough and thoughtful review.
This post was brought to you by the word "specifically".
Mod
Bluebird03
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bluebird03.html
Latest Review: Retort and Retribution by Jak Dello

Post by Bluebird03 »

The author seems to have a creative imagination, but should have focused a bit more on the editing. After reading your comments, I think I'll work harder to avoid hell as well. Thank you for a most entertaining review!
Wyland
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 444
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wyland.html
Latest Review: The Cult Next Door by Elizabeth R. Burchard, Judith L. Carlone

Post by Wyland »

This seems different from your everyday religious books. I’ll want to read Johnson’s perspective on a topic that has been read widely by both the religious and laity. Thanks for the informative review.
Manang Muyang
Favorite Book:

Post by Manang Muyang »

Wyland wrote: 04 Jun 2019, 03:08 This seems different from your everyday religious books. I’ll want to read Johnson’s perspective on a topic that has been read widely by both the religious and laity. Thanks for the informative review.
Well, Johnson is not your ordinary Christian. If you do get to read this, do tell about your experience. Thank you for your visit.

P.S. Is that you in your avatar?
Manang Muyang
Favorite Book:

Post by Manang Muyang »

ButterscotchCherrie wrote: 01 Jun 2019, 10:01 Yes, the premise sounds right up my alley - you know I'm a demon fan! Shame it didn't deliver and that the editing was poor. Thanks for your thorough and thoughtful review.
I appreciate your visit, demon fan! :twisted2:
Manang Muyang
Favorite Book:

Post by Manang Muyang »

kdstrack wrote: 30 May 2019, 12:06 I appreciate your honest comments about this book. It's not for me. Thanks for your review.
Thanks for visiting and commenting. Johnson wants people to know all about Eve. I hope he finds his audience.
Prisallen
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 233
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prisallen.html
Latest Review: Nirvatra by April Thomas

Post by Prisallen »

"These may cause traditional religious folk to cross themselves." I really like your sense of humor. The editing issues seem bad enough to keep me from reading this book, as it sounds like it would be confusing to read. Thank you for a thorough and interesting review!
Manang Muyang
Favorite Book:

Post by Manang Muyang »

Prisallen wrote: 05 Jun 2019, 12:01 "These may cause traditional religious folk to cross themselves." I really like your sense of humor. The editing issues seem bad enough to keep me from reading this book, as it sounds like it would be confusing to read. Thank you for a thorough and interesting review!
Thanks for getting the punch line. I appreciate your feedback.
Manang Muyang
Favorite Book:

Post by Manang Muyang »

Bluebird03 wrote: 02 Jun 2019, 08:59 The author seems to have a creative imagination, but should have focused a bit more on the editing. After reading your comments, I think I'll work harder to avoid hell as well. Thank you for a most entertaining review!
Thanks for the sweet words. Yes, we don't want to go to hell!

I hope Johnson can at least correct the errors. The "all-dialogue" style is more than enough challenge for the reader.
Last edited by Manang Muyang on 05 Jun 2019, 15:13, edited 2 times in total.
Manang Muyang
Favorite Book:

Post by Manang Muyang »

sursangeet_2000 wrote: 31 May 2019, 05:39 The premise seems so interesting. I wish the editing were better. I wish authors cared a little more about presenting their thoughts well. If its not readable, why should even bother reading it?
It was quite a challenge to read. I hope Johnson can address the issues to make his messages transmit clearly.
Manang Muyang
Favorite Book:

Post by Manang Muyang »

evraealtana wrote: 31 May 2019, 19:09 Ugh. Poor editing is an absolute mood-killer. I was so interested in the premise, and so let down by your description of the errors. I don't think I'll put myself through it. Thank you for the review.
I hope Johnson irons out the kinks to make the book easier to handle. Thanks for the visit.

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”