Review by PENcilMANIA -- We are Voulhire: The Fires of V...

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
PENcilMANIA
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pencilmania.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz

Review by PENcilMANIA -- We are Voulhire: The Fires of V...

Post by PENcilMANIA » 26 May 2019, 08:26

[Following is a volunteer review of "We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko" by Matthew Tysz.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

A sheer euphoria is what it was. With suspense in every page and crippling the readers to their comfy couch, author Matthew Tysz has done it yet again in his book ‘Fires of Virko’, second in the series ‘We are Voulhire’.

Galen, from the land of princess, considers himself lucky to be brought to the beautiful land of Voulhire to own a forge and a few riches left by his blacksmith uncle. He has no idea of the adventures that await him as he rides towards Virko to acquire iron for his newly found business along with his uncle’s executor, Rowan and a monk named Demetrius. Virko is an industrial city built from scratch by Lord Venden Hrelek, who now lies in his death bed, afraid that the hands of the evil has shaped his son Hans’s mind and therefore requests the king to place Virko under command of royal administration.

Meanwhile, the all-powerful mage Meldorath has his plans for the city of saints – Yamon soul. With Meldorath’s hunger for power and revenge, and lord Hans’s youthful craziness, evil await the two powerful cities of Voulhire.

The author has done a wonderful job crafting a dark world with medieval setting and bringing magic to spice up his creations. At first, I was of the opinion that the tittle gives the plot away. With passage of each chapter, my mind would whisper, 'Ah! This is how Virko burns'. But I was amazed by the climatic plot twist.

I truly enjoyed the author’s choice of words and the creativity put into it's murders. On the other hand, I am of the opinion that the fights and riot could have been a bit more descriptive and magical. Despite several deaths, the main characters escape unscathed, which is quite a cliché. The author was wise not to have clubbed the book into one as there is introduction of was whole set of new character in each book which would have otherwise confused the readers.

I would like to give the book 4 out of 4 stars as my desire for reading the next book in the series remains unhindered and in fact, my curiosity has escalated. Kudos to the author’s great story telling ability. The book was well edited and I appreciate the author’s keen eye for details. There were a few spelling errors and interchanging of character names but it isn’t more than what you can count of the fingers on one hand.

I urge the readers to read the first book, ‘We are Voulhire – A New Arrival Under Great Skies’ and you’ll no doubt scramble to get your hand on this one. For all those who love battles, magic and a bit of adult humor, this is the book for you.

We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko
View: on Bookshelves

Like PENcilMANIA's review? Post a comment saying so!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”