Review by Ekta Kumari -- We are Voulhire: A New Arrival ...

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Ekta Kumari
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Rebecca
Currently Reading: Wild World
Bookshelf Size: 84
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ekta-kumari.html
Latest Review: Humanity Must Survive the 21st Century by Theodore Vornicu
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Review by Ekta Kumari -- We are Voulhire: A New Arrival ...

Post by Ekta Kumari »

[Following is a volunteer review of "We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies" by Matthew Tysz.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Fantasy is an established genre and one of the most popular, too. Accordingly, it is difficult to come up with something new that its audience can appreciate and accept. Fortunately, We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies does not disappoint. It is everything I would look for in a fantasy novel. Matthew Tysz has created a captivating world in his book, and, with a storyline simmering with mystery, this read becomes enchanting as well as thrilling. With its multi-dimensional plotline, the author has tactfully crafted a tale that encompasses rivalry, treachery, greed, revenge, politics, and, most importantly, magic.

Galen Bray leaves his war-torn nation to escape to Voulhire with the help of Rowan, who is the executor of his uncle's will. Now, Galen is eager to rebuild his life while cherishing the riches that the prosperous Kingdom of Voulhire can offer him. Meanwhile, the kingdom is rapidly progressing towards a bright future. The king, Wilhelm Arcolo, desires to steer his kingdom towards great glory. He appoints Lord Eldus Alderman to work for the development of the State of Hillport and restore it from its subverted state, left behind by its two former lords. Will King Wilhelm and Lord Eldus be able to achieve their goals? Especially, when the danger of an attack by a group of rebellious insurgents, Riva Rohavi, looms over the kingdom. While the group has not been active for a long time, it has been known to re-emerge out of the blue. But is Riva Rohavi the only danger facing the kingdom? Or something eviler lurks within the premises of its own land, waiting for the perfect opportunity to shatter its stability. When magic and mages are not unknown for a kingdom, how does it put up a fight against these forces that are beyond the control of the physical realm?

This is the first book in the series, of which two other successive books are already out. With the introduction of Galen Bray in the opening chapter, it seemed like he is the main focus of the story, but I was surprised to find that many other characters come into play throughout the book and the main action revolves primarily around the kingdom and the menace threatening its peaceful atmosphere. Perhaps, Galen Bray and the elaborate background of all the other characters form the foundation for a tale that is going to unfold in further installments of the series.

Readers get to relish an engaging story with this book. Besides, the author supplements the action with the mystical element of the unknown, as he introduces the world of magic, Caromentis, to the readers. However, the inclusion of this appears as a sub-plot in-between the soaring tension of the main plot. Furthermore, the subjects of unsparing politics and power struggle are also explored through the means of the characters involved in the administration of the kingdom. One of them is Midius Maido, who happens to be the Lord High Chancellor of Voulhire and a ruthless opportunist. I liked the use of these underlying themes to carry the plot further.

The narration is in the third person for the most part, except that of Galen Bray, who is narrated in the first person. The alternating viewpoints may bother some, but it was quite okay for me, as all the chapters are meticulously separated from each other on the basis of characters and the switch between viewpoints never takes place in the middle of a chapter. In my opinion, the author's writing style delivers an immersive reading experience and magnifies the dated backdrop of the storyline, which is loosely interrupted a few times to provide some much-needed background information. The contrasting attributes of the characters make the story even more dimensional. For instance, Rowan's coarse language and discourteous attitude never get to the point of making him look like a standoffish person, rather it becomes just another interesting facet to his character. The humble and grateful Galen Bray, the dutiful Lord Eldus, the outspoken Rowan, the cunning and strategic Midius Maido, all seemed to fit together perfectly, in making the read realistic and believable. Moreover, Matthew Tysz's proficiency in worldbuilding shines through in his narrative of the fictional kingdom, as he develops a convincing account of its history, geography, and people.

The exceptional editing further adds value to the book. I found very few errors, and even those were insignificant. This one was a flawless read for me, and I would recommend it to anyone who is looking for an enthralling read that is a cliffhanger right from the beginning to the end. However, as the build-up is slow here, I would only suggest this to those who can enjoy a slow-paced mystery. Fans of magic and fantasy should also consider it. Finally, strong characters, an engrossing story, a multi-faceted plotline, and excellent editing earn We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies a well-deserved 4 out of 4 stars.

We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Ekta Kumari's review? Post a comment saying so!
"Words dazzle and deceive because they are mimed by the face. But black words on a white page are the soul laid bare."

-Guy de Maupassant
Fazzier
Currently Reading: Secondary Break
Bookshelf Size: 547
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fazzier.html
Latest Review: Planning for a Better, Greener Future by Peter Nelson

Post by Fazzier »

I've really enjoyed reading your review. Particularly, I like how you've accurately described the narrative styles adopted by the author (You've nailed it!). I'm glad you also enjoyed the book as much as I did. Thank you for this wonderful review!
Ekta Swarnkar
Favorite Book: 30th Century: Escape (General Audience Edition)
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ekta-swarnkar.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by Ekta Swarnkar »

I'm really inspired by your review and I am happy that you enjoyed the book as much as I do.
You live your dreams in the characters of the books you read. :techie-studyingbrown:
Partridgeapoclypse
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Partridgeapoclypse »

Nice 👍🏻 never read the book but going to have to after the review
Nerea
Favorite Author: William H. Coles
Favorite Book: Diamond and Pearls
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 675
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nerea.html
Latest Review: Little White Lies by JC Anderson
Reading Device: Laptop
fav_author_id: 89641
Signature Addition: No Wahala

Post by Nerea »

I read book three of the series and I must say the author knows how to tell a good story. I like the reasons for your rating. Incredible review. :tiphat:
"Regular reading improves your grammar."
No Wahala
briellejee
Currently Reading: Opaque
Bookshelf Size: 292
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-briellejee.html
Latest Review: The Watchmaker’s Doctor by G. M. T. Schuilling

Post by briellejee »

Seems like this book has everything, including well-written characters with dynamic personalities that add to the richness of the plot. Thanks for your thorough review! :tiphat:
"All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost"
Ekta Kumari

Post by Ekta Kumari »

Ekta Swarnkar wrote: 02 Jun 2019, 02:26 I'm really inspired by your review and I am happy that you enjoyed the book as much as I do.
Thanks for stopping by and leaving a reply :)
Fazzier wrote: 02 Jun 2019, 01:42 I've really enjoyed reading your review. Particularly, I like how you've accurately described the narrative styles adopted by the author (You've nailed it!). I'm glad you also enjoyed the book as much as I did. Thank you for this wonderful review!
Thanks for the feedback, Fazzier :tiphat:
"Words dazzle and deceive because they are mimed by the face. But black words on a white page are the soul laid bare."

-Guy de Maupassant
Ekta Kumari

Post by Ekta Kumari »

Partridgeapoclypse wrote: 02 Jun 2019, 02:34 Nice 👍🏻 never read the book but going to have to after the review
Glad you are considering the book :techie-studyingbrown:
Nerea wrote: 02 Jun 2019, 13:36 I read book three of the series and I must say the author knows how to tell a good story. I like the reasons for your rating. Incredible review. :tiphat:
Thanks for commenting, Nerea :tiphat:

-Guy de Maupassant
Ekta Kumari

Post by Ekta Kumari »

briellejee wrote: 03 Jun 2019, 03:21 Seems like this book has everything, including well-written characters with dynamic personalities that add to the richness of the plot. Thanks for your thorough review! :tiphat:
Yes, the characters are well-thought-out. Thanks for the reply :)

-Guy de Maupassant
Hiruni Bhagya 81
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 128
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hiruni-bhagya-81.html
Latest Review: Randy Love...at your service by Shay Carter

Post by Hiruni Bhagya 81 »

I enjoyed this book and your review very much. You did a great job with the summary. I agree with you about the realistic nature of the characters. They were flawed but likable. So, thanks for your wonderful review.
Nisha Ward
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Garth Nix
Favorite Book: Binti Home
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 321
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nisha-ward.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer
Reading Device: B0794RHPZD
fav_author_id: 4351

Post by Nisha Ward »

Whoa. This was quite thorough and a delightful read. The book sounds fantastic and I can hardly wait to dive in.
"...while a book has got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the reader it's got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the writer as well." - Terry Pratchett on The Last Continent and his writing.
Ekta Kumari

Post by Ekta Kumari »

Hiruni Bhagya 81 wrote: 06 Jun 2019, 13:48 I enjoyed this book and your review very much. You did a great job with the summary. I agree with you about the realistic nature of the characters. They were flawed but likable. So, thanks for your wonderful review.
Glad you enjoyed my review and thanks for the feedback :tiphat:
Nisha Ward wrote: 06 Jun 2019, 14:58 Whoa. This was quite thorough and a delightful read. The book sounds fantastic and I can hardly wait to dive in.
You must give this book a try. Thanks for commenting :)

-Guy de Maupassant
sarahmarlowe
Favorite Book: One Second After
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 191
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarahmarlowe.html
Latest Review: The best therapy by Jim LaPierre LCSW, CCS
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by sarahmarlowe »

Wow! This book sounds very well done. This is a great review!
sarahmarlowe
You can spend your time however you want, but you can spend it only once. :eusa-think:
Ekta Kumari

Post by Ekta Kumari »

sarahmarlowe wrote: 13 Jun 2019, 14:01 Wow! This book sounds very well done. This is a great review!
Thanks for stopping by and leaving your feedback :tiphat:

-Guy de Maupassant
Prisallen
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 233
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prisallen.html
Latest Review: Nirvatra by April Thomas

Post by Prisallen »

This sounds like an intriguing book with well-developed characters. I don't usually go for books that end on a cliffhanger, but, after reading your review, I may have to give this one a try. Great job!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”