Review by cnluna -- We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under...

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
cnluna
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cnluna.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko by Matthew Tysz

Review by cnluna -- We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under...

Post by cnluna »

[Following is a volunteer review of "We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies" by Matthew Tysz.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

In We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies, Matthew Tysz uses his study of people and pours it into his story and characters. Personally, I enjoy fantasy which is why I was drawn to this book in the first place. This story is told in first person from multiple character's perspectives that are rich in detail. It takes some time to become familiar with the characters, but once you do it is easy to follow the story they're telling. This intriguing fantasy occurs during a medieval period with kings, mages, and monks alike. I found myself playing the story like a movie in my head, which in my opinion is when you know you're reading a good book. I rate this story 4 out of 4 stars. Here is why.

The story kicks of with a humble guy from a humble beginning looking for a new start. He gets the chance to escape his war infested country to a country known to be in its golden age. This country is Voulhire. What he doesn't know but other characters tell you is that this country isn't as golden as it may seem. This flourishing country has its own dark secrets that are only known to royalty. As the story climaxes the dark secrets begin to slip out as old enemies arise to seek vengeance against the kingdom of Voulhire. Despite the kingdom's attempts to prevent it. Each character has their own agenda and part to play in this suspenseful story of war, magic, and justice.

This is definitely not a story for young readers due to the amount of adult content. Personally, I think it adds to the reality of the story and enhances the experience of the reader. For example one character has a very crude humor which I find very funny and actually laughed several times when he spoke. It showed his reckless and playful character which helped loosen up his new found friend I referenced at the beginning. The descriptions of the environment, characters, and fight scenes were captivating. It made me feel as if I was really there. Plot twists in the story add to the suspense as well. Something I found intriguing was how there were characters mentioned in the story who had a name, but a few did not. They were only referred to as lady and old man. I hardly noticed any grammatical errors throughout the entire story so the editing seems very good.

Honestly, I can't think of anything that I disliked about this book. When I first began reading it, I wasn't sure what to think because the story and author were completely new to me. As I continued reading, I found that I thoroughly enjoyed the storyline and characters. The authors elaborate description of the environment and characters really set the stage for a mind consuming story. I am particular about the books I read. I know quickly whether or not I'll like the book. If you are a reader who enjoys fantasy and doesn't mind some graphic content then this book is for you. I look forward to reading the other books in this series.

We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like cnluna's review? Post a comment saying so!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”