Review by Mia09 -- We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Mia09
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mia09.html
Latest Review: The Sins of a Master Race by Matthew Tysz

Review by Mia09 -- We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko

Post by Mia09 » 16 May 2019, 06:35

[Following is a volunteer review of "We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko" by Matthew Tysz.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko is the second book from the We are Voulhire series that was written by Matthew Tysz.

In this second book, the action is concentrated inside the industrial city of Virko. The three friends Galen, Rowan, and Demetrius travel there hoping to find a way to buy steel so that Galen can use it for his town. They meet with Lord Venden, who is on his death bed and asks for his help. Knowing that his end is near, Lord Venden asks them to take care of an important task. A task that they accept without knowing the chain of events that will follow their actions. In the meantime, important changes are taking place in the holy city of Yamon Soul, events that could affect the lives of everyone.

I liked that the action was focused on fewer characters as opposed to the first book. It was easier to keep count of everything that was happening and I got to find out faster what some of the characters were doing. I had some negative comments for the first book in this series but I pleasantly found out that this one was even better. It was such an easy and exciting read that I couldn’t wait for some free time to read some more. For the same reasons, I can barely wait to read the third book and see how it all ends.

There’s nothing that bothered me in this book; it was well edited, I only noticed a few mistakes but nothing that would distract me from the story. I really like the way the author creates his characters; they are whole, distinct and we can easily see the way they evolve. One of the things that I loved about this book was the humorous lines between some characters; my favorite was the reaction Demetrius had, in an otherwise stressful situation, when Rowan tried to use his silver chain to see if something was a magnet. This bits of humor are skilfully places throughout the book and they really lighten the mood.

In my opinion, this book rightfully deserves 4 out of 4 stars and I’m sure that Sci-Fi fans with a sense of humor will enjoy it just as much as I did. Those that like adventures might enjoy it too if they don’t mind some demons running around and killing people.

We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko
View: on Bookshelves

Like Mia09's review? Post a comment saying so!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”