Review by Charlyt -- We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Charlyt
Favorite Book: The Night Circus
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-charlyt.html
Latest Review: Of Zots and Xoodles by Zarqnon the Embarrassed

Review by Charlyt -- We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko

Post by Charlyt » 16 May 2019, 02:35

[Following is a volunteer review of "We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko" by Matthew Tysz.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The city of Virko, Voulhire’s most productive city, is on its way to a great change. Venden Hrelek, the city’s lord, decided that a captain appointed by the king would be better to run the prosperous city rather than its own lord. But as these changes start to take place, Hans Hrelek, Lord Venden’s son and successor, has his own plans regarding the industrious city. Unknown to all who reside in Virko, their city holds a great secret right in the heart of it. A certain form of evil is waiting to be unleashed, and it sits patiently for the right time to come.

We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko is the second book of the We are Voulhire Series written by Matthew Tysz. Following the events that happened in Hillport from the previous book, Galen Bray, an immigrant from the Land of the Princes and a blacksmith, together with his new friends Rowan and Demetrius find themselves traveling to the rich city of Virko. In there, Galen finds himself caught in the middle of the action of political changes and of an evil plan.

As with the first book of the series, the story’s theme includes science, faith, and magic. But this time, the book also includes politics and the schemes that happen behind the scenes when rich and influential men seek more power. I think this makes the book more realistic and relatable. I also like that the story has a different and otherworldly form of evil from the first book, but in the end, it is still humans who try to take control for their own benefit. Galen, as the main character, is a very innocent man to the point of being ignorant at times, but one can immediately see that the author has big plans for him. Aside from that, his character is also a stark contrast to the book’s dark and morbid motif.

The book follows different characters’ perspective and, just like in the first book, I found that this makes the character development a little slow. But even as it is, I understand that the plot wouldn’t unravel smoothly if it was written any other way. I also found some errors in the narrative although they are all typographical. For examples, a missing close quotation mark and misspelled words, but they don’t get in the way of enjoying the book.

I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. The narrative is nicely written and easy to understand. Although this book takes place in a different city and has a different main antagonist than the previous one, I can see that the pieces of the story are now in the right place to come together for the third installment. I would recommend this to adult readers who like magic, fantasy and adventure books, but not to those who don’t like dark and morbid themes. The story also contains swear words and some gore so I wouldn’t recommend it to young adults.

We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko
View: on Bookshelves

Like Charlyt's review? Post a comment saying so!
"It is neither fair nor unfair, Nobody Owens. It simply is." -NG

Hiruni Bhagya 81
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 124
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hiruni-bhagya-81.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz

Post by Hiruni Bhagya 81 » 31 May 2019, 13:01

I read this book and found it quite interesting, and I love your summary very much. You've introduced the storyline without giving too much away. So, thanks for the wonderful review.

Charlyt
Currently Reading:

Post by Charlyt » 01 Jun 2019, 01:17

Hiruni Bhagya 81 wrote: ↑
31 May 2019, 13:01
I read this book and found it quite interesting, and I love your summary very much. You've introduced the storyline without giving too much away. So, thanks for the wonderful review.
Thanks for your comment!

gen_g
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 61
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gen-g.html
Latest Review: Modern Times by Peter Morgan

Post by gen_g » 01 Jun 2019, 02:34

This sounds like a well-constructed novel, with many elements well melded together. I'll certainly be placing this on my to-read list. Great review!

Ekta Swarnkar
Favorite Book: 30th Century: Escape (General Audience Edition)
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 4
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ekta-swarnkar.html
Latest Review: Heartaches by H.M. Irwing

Post by Ekta Swarnkar » 01 Jun 2019, 02:41

I have read the first book of the series and after reading the review I'm excited about this book too. I really wanted to know what happens with Galen. Great review!

sanjus
2019 Reading Goal: 21
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 52
2018 Reading Goal: 25
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 56
Currently Reading: Charles' Story
Bookshelf Size: 348
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sanjus.html
Latest Review: The Chauvinist's Guide to Modern Romance by Morris Rollins
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by sanjus » 01 Jun 2019, 10:54

The book series seem to have a nice mix of science, faith, and magic and this book includes politics and the schemes. Thanks for your detailed review.
life is only knowing the unknown, we can do this by reading books easily- I believe this is my own quote. If someone quoted this before I am glad to know.

Artizi
2019 Reading Goal: 40
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 70
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-artizi.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Artizi » 01 Jun 2019, 21:20

Magic, fantasy, adventure: what a wonderful mix! I think I might give this book a try. Your review is very insightful, kudos!

If you wouldn't mind checking my latest review, I'd greatly appreciate it!
A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies

Fazzier
2019 Reading Goal: 100
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 25
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 128
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fazzier.html

Post by Fazzier » 02 Jun 2019, 02:15

I'm glad you've captured the fact this book follows different characters’ perspectives. I really liked the approach as it made me gauge the characters ’ points of view of story. Thank you for this wonderful review!

Charlyt
Currently Reading:

Post by Charlyt » 03 Jun 2019, 01:48

gen_g wrote: ↑
01 Jun 2019, 02:34
This sounds like a well-constructed novel, with many elements well melded together. I'll certainly be placing this on my to-read list. Great review!
The author certainly created a well developed world for this story. Thanks for your comment!

Charlyt
Currently Reading:

Post by Charlyt » 03 Jun 2019, 01:50

Ekta Swarnkar wrote: ↑
01 Jun 2019, 02:41
I have read the first book of the series and after reading the review I'm excited about this book too. I really wanted to know what happens with Galen. Great review!
The story gets interesting and the author introduces the readers to more places in Voulhire. Thanks for your comment!

Charlyt
Currently Reading:

Post by Charlyt » 03 Jun 2019, 01:51

sanjus wrote: ↑
01 Jun 2019, 10:54
The book series seem to have a nice mix of science, faith, and magic and this book includes politics and the schemes. Thanks for your detailed review.
Yes, it's a very well developed plot. Thanks for your comment!

Charlyt
Currently Reading:

Post by Charlyt » 03 Jun 2019, 01:58

Artizi wrote: ↑
01 Jun 2019, 21:20
Magic, fantasy, adventure: what a wonderful mix! I think I might give this book a try. Your review is very insightful, kudos!

If you wouldn't mind checking my latest review, I'd greatly appreciate it!
The book certainly have a good balance of all of those. Thanks for your comment!

Charlyt
Currently Reading:

Post by Charlyt » 03 Jun 2019, 02:00

Fazzier wrote: ↑
02 Jun 2019, 02:15
I'm glad you've captured the fact this book follows different characters’ perspectives. I really liked the approach as it made me gauge the characters ’ points of view of story. Thank you for this wonderful review!
With a lot going on in the story, having it told in different perspectives definitely made it less confusing. Thanks for your comment!

Wyland
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 213
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wyland.html

Post by Wyland » 04 Jun 2019, 05:11

It would be interesting to see how humans try to gain power amidst the challenges posed by these otherworldly forces. Thank for the review.

Charlyt
Currently Reading:

Post by Charlyt » 05 Jun 2019, 02:11

Wyland wrote: ↑
04 Jun 2019, 05:11
It would be interesting to see how humans try to gain power amidst the challenges posed by these otherworldly forces. Thank for the review.
It seems humans always find a way. Thanks for your comment!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”