Official Review: They Called Us The Anunnaki

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
You must limit each topic thread in this section to only one book or only one series. Make the title of the topic the name of the book, and if possible also include the author's name. If you want to allow spoilers, you must include the word spoilers in the title of the topic, otherwise spoilers are prohibited.
lavellan
2018 Reading Goal: 100
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 36
Currently Reading: Jane Eyre
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lavellan.html
Latest Review: Broken Circle by Amy McKinley

Official Review: They Called Us The Anunnaki

Post by lavellan » 15 May 2019, 17:19

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "They Called Us The Anunnaki" by Morgan Daughtry.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Tales of extraterrestrial visitors have been stuff of myth and legend throughout history. Some believe that the lives of humans and aliens have been interwoven from the earliest instances of our history. Morgan Daughtry explores this topic and more in They Called Us The Anunnaki: A Tale of Vengeance, Treachery, and the Birth of Evil. The novel begins with the introduction of the Anunnaki, the name humans gave extraterrestrials. Their home planet, Anchante, is on the verge of collapse, leading to the Anunnaki having to set out in search of a new home. Along the way, they settle on Earth until an imminent meteor strike causes a split in their people. Some chose to stay on Earth while the rest continued their journey to find a new home. This home ends up being four planets within the Valende Ster Galaxy. These planets awaken the dormant powers of the Anunnaki, some of which include resurgence and telepathy. One of the Anunnaki, a woman named Natasa, is bestowed the honor of guarding three crystals that hold immense power. Only someone from her bloodline is able to wield their power. Unfortunately, a power-hungry Anunnaki named Vartan wishes to control the crystals, threatening the safety of both the Anunnaki and Earth.

The world constructed within They Called Us The Anunnaki was fantastical. The depictions of the new worlds the Anunnaki settled were beautiful. I especially enjoyed the description of Encanterra, the most Earth-like of the planets. It was described as having vivid waters colored “in tones of cyan, aquamarine, and turquoise with streaks of fuchsia.” The descriptive imagery of the setting caught my attention. The plot also proved promising. I was curious to learn more about the relationship between humans and the Anunnaki, as well as if Vartan would be successful in his endeavors. I really appreciated that a glossary was included at the end of the book. It covered the types of powers that the Anunnaki possessed. This helped me understand their extent and meaning. I only wish that some of the terms applied to the Anunnaki were included in this section as well. For example, I would sometimes get mixed up with the difference between the variety of classes of Anunnaki, such as the Okomanu. Including them in the glossary would have aided me in keeping track of everything.

Despite the promising setting and premise, I found the execution to be a bit lacking. While there was a note at the beginning stating that the book was to serve as a primer to the world of the Anunnaki rather than a traditional character-driven novel, I found the book hard to follow. Numerous characters and subplots were introduced throughout the book’s 200 pages, making it difficult to keep up with them. The novel switches focus at a dizzying rate. As a result, I did not really get attached to any of the characters or get a strong feel for their personalities. I think that if the goal was to develop the setting, the book fell a bit short. Descriptions of the world and the intricacies of the Anunnaki’s society were sparse; the book mostly focused on Vartan’s quest for power.

They Called Us The Anunnaki contained errors, mostly composed of inconsistent names and improper word usage. For example, the spelling of Zandar switches to Zandor randomly. While these errors did not significantly detract from my enjoyment of the novel, they indicate that it still needs to undergo professional editing.

I rate They Called Us The Anunnaki 2 out of 4 stars. While the premise was interesting and I was curious to learn more about the intricacies of the Anunnaki’s world, the editing errors and rushed plot prevent me from giving it a higher rating. I would recommend the novel to readers who are interested in science-fiction, fantasy, and alien life. Readers who are sensitive to topics like gore and sexual assault may be triggered by the book’s contents.

They Called Us The Anunnaki
View: on Bookshelves

Like lavellan's review? Post a comment saying so!

Ellylion
Favorite Book: Angelology
Currently Reading: Mythic Worlds and the One You Can Believe In
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ellylion.html
Latest Review: The Altitude Journals by David J Mauro

Post by Ellylion » 18 May 2019, 08:27

It's indeed hard to read a book with too many characters and numerous sub-plots. But the book sounds promising anyway :) Hope the author fixes all the errors. Thank you for a great review! :)

Chrystal Oaks
2019 Reading Goal: 24
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 70
Favorite Book: The Sister Circle
Currently Reading: Cynthia and Dan
Bookshelf Size: 183
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chrystal-oaks.html
Latest Review: Misreading Judas by Robert Wahler

Post by Chrystal Oaks » 18 May 2019, 09:40

It's disappointing when a book still needs more editing. It sounds like the author needs to keep working on character-development. I think I'll keep reading Sitchin's books about the Anunnaki. I'm sorry for the disappointment. I enjoyed reading your review. Thanks!
We do not simply live in this universe. The universe lives within us.

- Neil deGrasse Tyson

Rachel Lea
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rachel-lea.html
Latest Review: Murdered by James Schannep

Post by Rachel Lea » 18 May 2019, 14:35

Most science fiction stories focus on Earth's perspective of encountering alien life, so it's interesting to see a book that tells it from the perspective of the extraterrestrials. I think that I will pass on this one, though, due to the plot issues that you described. Thank you for your review!
"A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies... The man who never reads lives only one." -- George R.R. Martin :techie-studyingbrown:

kdstrack
2019 Reading Goal: 100
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 56
2018 Reading Goal: 100
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 106
Currently Reading: The Engine Woman's Light
Bookshelf Size: 239
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: An Unexpected Mess by Marie Washtag

Post by kdstrack » 18 May 2019, 15:23

I was starting to like the story line when you mentioned the telepathic abilities, but the change of focus and the numerous characters with different powers would be frustrating. Thanks for your review of this book.

Nisha Ward
2019 Reading Goal: 40
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 55
Favorite Author: Garth Nix
Favorite Book: The Crystilleries of Echoland
Currently Reading: Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone
Bookshelf Size: 143
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nisha-ward.html
Latest Review: Mythic Worlds and the One You Can Believe In by Harold Toliver
Reading Device: B0794RHPZD
fav_author_id: 4351

Post by Nisha Ward » 18 May 2019, 16:12

I think I could possibly look past the errors for this one. The premise sounds awesome enough, what with aliens and the prospective world-building involved. Not to mention, I'd like to know if Natasa succeeds against Vartan.
"...while a book has got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the reader it's got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the writer as well." - Terry Pratchett on The Last Continent and his writing.

Scarlet Nicoll
Currently Reading: Screamcatcher
Bookshelf Size: 181
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scarlet-nicoll.html
Latest Review: The Toki-Girl and the Sparrow-Boy Book 1 by Claire Youmans

Post by Scarlet Nicoll » 21 May 2019, 22:37

I have read books related to superpowers and all, but this seems like a read that will take its readers on a spin. Too bad about the errors. Thank you for your input!

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”