Review by Sandra K Pearson -- We are Voulhire: A New Arr...

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Sandra K Pearson
Currently Reading: The Pygmy Dragon
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sandra-k-pearson.html
Latest Review: The Writer's Roadmap by Leigh Shulman

Review by Sandra K Pearson -- We are Voulhire: A New Arr...

Post by Sandra K Pearson »

[Following is a volunteer review of "We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies" by Matthew Tysz.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

We Are Voulhire: A New Arrival Under Great Skies by Mattew Tysz is about Galen Bray. Galen is an immigrant from a land ripped apart by war, his passage to Voulhire is paid for by his uncle to run a forge. Little does he know Voulhire has some problems of its own, dancing rebels, and an extremely powerful wizard, just to name a few. The story jumps between different characters as certain events take place throughout the kingdom, and follows Galen as he finds new friends and learns his new trade.

The characters in this book are very well-developed, I enjoyed getting to know Galen and his friends the most. He is humble and very eager to please the people who help him. Rowan helps him learn the forge, and how to act in his new home, he can be a bit of a troublemaker, but is clever, and quick-minded. Demetrius is a monk, he is more serious and prefers to keep to himself. I liked how the chapters were set up, each headed by which character was going to be followed next. It was very easy to keep up with. I felt the antagonists in this book were particularly savage, feeling no remorse for what they did. In this first book of the series its very clear who the bad guys are.

Some of the characters seemed to be a bit one sided, either to good or to bad. It wasn't believable. I would have liked to see more internal battles.

It feels more like the author is setting the scene for the adventures to come, which could be good or bad depending on your personal taste. Its not clear yet where Galen and his trio fit into the story, but I can't wait to find out.

I rated We Are Voulhire: A New Arrival Under Great Skies 4 out of 4 stars. I found no mistakes, and it was very well written. My only criticism being that some of the characters seemed a little to innocent, I found myself waiting for them to reveal a darker side, but it didn't happen. It's not the darkest story I've read, but it has its moments. For this reason I would recommend it to anyone except younger audiences.

We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Sandra K Pearson's review? Post a comment saying so!
"I have always imagined that Paradise will be a kind of library."

Jorge Luis Borjes
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Sunshine at the Academy
Bookshelf Size: 369
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: A.M.P.D Artificial Military Prosthetics by Thomas Hraynyk

Post by kandscreeley »

This sounds interesting. I'm not sure if it's my style or not. However, you gave great information. I love your review. Thanks!
Good books, like good friends, are few and chosen; the more select, the more enjoyable.
-Louisa May Alcott
MustaHarleen
Currently Reading: Warrior of Shadows: The Final Battle
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mustaharleen.html
Latest Review: The Altitude Journals by David J Mauro

Post by MustaHarleen »

I find the idea of dancing rebels in the book interesting. How they attack while dancing to a drumbeat. The idea of two different world, one magical and another one which is physical. All these make the book readable. Thanks for an amazing review.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”