Review by Anindya W -- We are Voulhire: A New Arrival un...

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Anindya W
Currently Reading: We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anindya-w.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Review by Anindya W -- We are Voulhire: A New Arrival un...

Post by Anindya W »

[Following is a volunteer review of "We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies" by Matthew Tysz.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Galen Bray lived in the Lands of the Princes where it was either death by the sword or a slow starvation. After 20 years of continuous struggle to survive, he received a letter that could set him free from the Lands of the Princes. From there on, he sets on a journey to Voulhire, where the adventure begins.

We Are Voulhire: A New Arrival Under The Great Skies by Matthew Tysz is part of the “We Are Voulhire” series. This series is a fantasy-based novel and as the first part of the series, the author explained the setting of the story where the world is divided into the Cosmos, the physical world, and Caromentis, the magical world. In the first page of the book, the author added a map of Voulhire, which really helped me get a better picture of the surrounding area. Aside from that, Tysz managed to describe each areas in great detail, it felt as though I was actually there. I think, one of the challenges of writing a fantasy novel is introducing new places written in the plot but Tysz did a wonderful job on this part.

King Willhem Arcolo rules Voulhire, and one of the king’s general and close friends was Dalehei Meldorath. In the plot, Meldorath is introduced as the antagonist of the story. He is known as a powerful mage, perhaps gifted, at such a young age. Other than that, Meldorath was also known as a monster feared by many. At his sudden disappearance, rumours went on saying he was dead, but some say he was locked up somewhere far from humanity.

From all the characters in the story, Galen Bray piqued my interest. It feels like he has a very interesting background and I’d like to know more about him. Also, I suggest the author to add more description of the character’s appearance. It would really help spark our imagination as we read through the story.

Overall, this book was a very interesting read, the plot had a nice start and I’d really like to read the next series. There’s still much to explore from the plot and the cliffhanger at the end really got me. The book was professionally edited as I’ve only discovered very minor errors. Therefore, I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. I recommend this book to those who seek for fantasy fashioned tale filled with magic and those who likes dark themed fantasy novels.

We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Anindya W's review? Post a comment saying so!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”