Review by Fazzier -- We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Fazzier
2019 Reading Goal: 100
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 28
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 129
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fazzier.html
Latest Review: The Barnyard Buddies Meet a Newcomer by Julie Penshorn

Review by Fazzier -- We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko

Post by Fazzier » 10 May 2019, 07:40

[Following is a volunteer review of "We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko" by Matthew Tysz.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko by Matthew Tysz is a science fiction. It is the second book of the “We are Voulhire” series. This poignant novel comprises a total of 146 pages and is centered in Virko, the heart of the Soulhirian industry.

On the bed at the home of the Virko’s Sovereign, Rendenhide, lay a troubled sickling lord, Venden Hrelek. The troubling, though, was not about his deteriorating health but about his son, Hans Hrelek. According to the law of the land, Hans was expected to take over the lordship of Virko once his father died. However, this recluse next-to-be heir seemed to have plans other than being the lord of Virko. His father realized that he had bound, at the undercroft of their castle, a hooved bipedalled demon with a pig-like head whose purpose the lord was green about but presumed to be insidious. Therefore, Lord Vendens Hrelek wanted a way in which the demon could be extricated and cast back to Hell before his son proceeded with his selfish ambition.

Coincidentally, Galen Bray, a blacksmith from one of the Voulhirian cities, Magnum Caelum, came to Virko to source for iron. In his company were his late uncle's retainer, Rowan, and his imbuer, Heius Demetrius, who was also a Destinism Church monk. Upon placing their request, the lord agreed to provide them with the whole amount of iron they needed but under one condition: the holy priest was to assist in unbinding the demon and casting it back to Hell. The exercise, however, resulted into more commotions.

This book is beautifully written. With well-developed characters and action-filled plot, I found myself engaged and engrossed in this wonderful novel. The development of Galen Bray, in particular, seems to be skillfully structured to achieve the author's overall plan for the story. For instance, going of Galen Bray to Virko proved to be more than acquisition of iron. It created turbulence and made the book reach its climax. Besides, Matthew Tysz harmoniously uses a mix of the first and the third person narrative style. I found this approach engaging as it broke the monotony thereby making me glued in this page-turner.

What I liked the most was the author's inclusion of the Voulhire map at the beginning of this interesting read just like in the first book of the series. I found this outstanding. I was, therefore, able to get acquainted with locations of different places in Voulhire making me to follow the storyline easily. However, I noticed that in the map ‘Virko’ has been spelled as ‘Virco’ which is inconsistent with the spelling used in the rest of the book. The author should check that.

All in all, there is nothing I disliked about this book. It was professionally edited. I just identified minor errors which could not detract my overall enjoyment of the book. I'm, therefore, glad to rate We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko by Matthew Tysz 4 out of 4 stars. I think it deserves more than 3 stars regardless of the flaws I noticed. I recommend it to readers who like action-filled and character-driven fantasy novels. However, you may begin by reading the first book, We are Voulhire: New Arrival under Great Skies, to know more about the series.

We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko
View: on Bookshelves

Like Fazzier's review? Post a comment saying so!

juliusotieno02
2019 Reading Goal: 20
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 155
Favorite Book: Mythic Worlds and the One You Can Believe In
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 214
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-juliusotieno02.html
Latest Review: Empowered by Dominica Lumazar

Post by juliusotieno02 » 25 May 2019, 20:29

As someone who has read the third book in this series and is currently reading the first book in the same series, i must say your review was very good. i particularly loved how you professionally summarised the book giving the readers not too much and yet not too little. Thanks for the great review.
Bury your dictionaries

The words you need
are in your heart
and the eyes
of the people
you love.

Nisha Ward
Member of the Month
2019 Reading Goal: 40
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 70
Favorite Author: Garth Nix
Favorite Book: A Murder is Announced
Currently Reading: Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone
Bookshelf Size: 195
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nisha-ward.html
Latest Review: Daughter of Athena by A. Rose
Reading Device: B0794RHPZD
fav_author_id: 4351

Post by Nisha Ward » 25 May 2019, 21:30

I was interested in the first book in this series but wondered if I should actually hold off on it for a while. This review helped me to make up my mind towards the former option. Thank you.
"...while a book has got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the reader it's got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the writer as well." - Terry Pratchett on The Last Continent and his writing.

Fazzier
Currently Reading:

Post by Fazzier » 31 May 2019, 03:27

juliusotieno02 wrote:
25 May 2019, 20:29
As someone who has read the third book in this series and is currently reading the first book in the same series, i must say your review was very good. i particularly loved how you professionally summarised the book giving the readers not too much and yet not too little. Thanks for the great review.
I'm glad you didn't identify any spoiler in my review. Thank you so much for your comment!

Fazzier
Currently Reading:

Post by Fazzier » 31 May 2019, 03:30

Nisha Ward wrote:
25 May 2019, 21:30
I was interested in the first book in this series but wondered if I should actually hold off on it for a while. This review helped me to make up my mind towards the former option. Thank you.
I'm so glad my review convinced you to make a move toward exploring the series. Thank you so much for your comment!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”