Review by Kemunto lucy -- We are Voulhire: The Fires of ...

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Kemunto lucy
2019 Reading Goal: 30
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 70
2018 Reading Goal: 20
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 205
Currently Reading: It's Easier to Dance
Bookshelf Size: 112
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kemunto-lucy.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Review by Kemunto lucy -- We are Voulhire: The Fires of ...

Post by Kemunto lucy » 10 May 2019, 01:15

[Following is a volunteer review of "We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko" by Matthew Tysz.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Voulhire seems like the promised land. A land that holds both promise and despair. A land where everyone looks after their own interests while at the same time having compassion for others. We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko continues the story of King Wilhelm's lineage, their decisions and repurccusions. It is written by Matthew Tysz.

Virko is one of the most admired places. The people live harmoniously. The labours work hard and the harvest is plenty. It's a place anyone who has lived under King Wilhelm's governance would wish for. Galen Bray (one of the princes who left his father's home to a foreign land) studies his new surroundings with anticipation. Voulhire is the only place where he experiences some peace after twenty years of war in his birth land. He makes new friends, forms new alliances and seeks as much help as he can. He is determined to make this place home. It's not that easy and his mission faces challenges. There are mean leaders who only look after their own welfare. Battles are set and magic is among the weapons used.

Matthew knows just how to keep the reader interested. The dialogues are short and relevant. The characters are well developed and admirable. They win in their respective roles, be it good or bad. Even the minor characters have their small wins and this is so encouraging. Introduction of new characters is also exemplary done. I loved how Folcro's voice was made significant.

I love the twists in the story especially when it comes to King Wilhelm's decisions. He is unpredictable. He is wise. At first I thought he would want Galen to be king but this is not the case. He has a personal favorite. Or maybe he wants his successor to earn the throne.

I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars because it is well written and it doesn't loose it's intensity on the way. The editing is professionally done. There is also a map. The book is also a short read which is my favorite aspect. I recommend it to anyone who loves fantasy novels involving politics and war.

We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko
View: on Bookshelves

Like Kemunto lucy's review? Post a comment saying so!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”