Official Review: Domina World by Vivek Golikeri

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
You must limit each topic thread in this section to only one book or only one series. Make the title of the topic the name of the book, and if possible also include the author's name. If you want to allow spoilers, you must include the word spoilers in the title of the topic, otherwise spoilers are prohibited.
ViziVoir
2019 Reading Goal: 20
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 130
2018 Reading Goal: 20
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 300
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 92
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vizivoir.html
Latest Review: Dolphins Don’t Run Marathons by Sam Brand

Official Review: Domina World by Vivek Golikeri

Post by ViziVoir » 09 May 2019, 21:15

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Domina World" by Vivek Golikeri.]
Book Cover
1 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Domina World by Vivek Golikeri is a collection of erotic short stories that often have continuity with each other. They follow the interactions between supernatural beings, called "energesses" or "femforces," and mortal humans. These energesses have incredible powers, from transmuting energy into matter to creating small parallel dimensions, and they recharge these powers through male sexual attention, which they get through agreements with mortal men and women.

Of course, since this book is self-styled erotica, the plot is far from its main focus. However, the plot is so contrived as to be wildly distracting. The energesses seem to get new powers whenever the narrative calls for it, from traveling through time to talking with ghosts, and conflicts are woefully few and far between. Many of the short stories have so much continuity that the book feels as if it's separated into several chapters, only for it to skip to a completely different scene abruptly. In erotica, the sole duty of the plot is to provide a coherent framework for the sex scenes. Unfortunately, this book's plot fails at this duty in spectacular fashion.

The stories all follow the same basic premise, with little variation: an energess offers a mortal wealth, beauty, or love in return for performing sexual acts at her behest. There are multiple women in unhappy marriages, for example, and many of the male characters' first introduction to the energesses happens when one of them repairs their car or boat. The author also tends to write male love interests who are poor caricatures of different nationalities, such as French and Austrian. With such interchangeable and flat characters, it's impossible to become invested in them.

While the plot and characters are quite lackluster, this book's greatest flaw is, by far, its writing style. There are many typos, consisting mostly of capitalization and quotation mark usage errors, but they aren't actually too distracting. The dialogue is incredibly awkward and frequently repetitive, with characters saying exactly what they're thinking or feeling for no reason other than informing the audience. The word choice is also very stilted, and the sex scenes are rarely written well or even in any detail. Still, I have to admit that there's something implacably charming about an erotic novel that practically refuses to address sex as anything other than "doing a dalliance."

Because of its very poorly executed plot, characterization, and writing, it goes without saying that I rate Domina World 1 out of 4 stars. If you are looking to read quality erotica, or, indeed, a quality book, you are best off looking elsewhere. However, I actually enjoyed reading it. Nearly every aspect of its execution fails in such incredible fashion that it's quite a spectacle, so if you have a fondness for so-bad-it's-good media, you will love reading this book. As a brief taste, I'll close this review with my absolute favorite quote: "I'm going to f---k a whole platoon of them! Yum, yum, here I come!"

Domina World
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like ViziVoir's review? Post a comment saying so!

Rachel Lea
Currently Reading: Murdered
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rachel-lea.html
Latest Review: The Mindset by Ace Bowers

Post by Rachel Lea » 12 May 2019, 08:08

Your review made me laugh (especially that last quote)! It's always interesting when you stumble upon a piece of literature that is, as one might put it, "so bad that it's good." You wonder whether the author intended it that way or not. At any rate, I don't gravitate towards books of this genre anyway, so I think I'll pass on this one. But your analysis of it was quite entertaining! :)
"A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies... The man who never reads lives only one." -- George R.R. Martin :techie-studyingbrown:

Meg98
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-meg98.html
Latest Review: Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks by Morton E Tavel, MD

Post by Meg98 » 12 May 2019, 10:31

Haha that last quote is very funny! I'm definitely going to pass on this read per your suggestion, and thank you for your honest review! Well done :)
Oh love, never be afraid to fly :wink2:

Quickstudy
2019 Reading Goal: 300
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 6
Currently Reading: A Witch in Time Saves Nine
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-quickstudy.html
Latest Review: The Biblical Clock by Daniel Friedmann and Dania Sheldon

Post by Quickstudy » 12 May 2019, 12:04

Your review left me curious about the book. Despite the flaws in grammar, and a lack of detailed sex scenes, the powers possessed by the beings are intriguing. I will have to give this book a look.

Great review.

T_stone
2019 Reading Goal: 70
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 15
2018 Reading Goal: 20
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 35
Currently Reading: Boy 2 Man
Bookshelf Size: 88
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-t-stone.html
Latest Review: Winning Baseball: A Simple Game of 10 by Les Gerdin
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by T_stone » 12 May 2019, 12:04

It's so sad to read books with many errors. However, erotica aren't my thing, I guess I'd pass based on your recommendation. Thanks for being honest with this.
Feeling upset sometimes may be unavoidable, but acting distressed is always optional.

Rob White

DogoMulla
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dogomulla.html
Latest Review: The Sins of a Master Race by Matthew Tysz

Post by DogoMulla » 12 May 2019, 14:05

Well, well. It seems we should be packing and calling an uber asap. Still, nice job on the review - it's honest and on-point.

Stephanie Elizabeth
2019 Reading Goal: 40
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 40
Currently Reading: A Witch in Time Saves Nine
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephanie-elizabeth.html
Latest Review: Reflection by Titan Frey

Post by Stephanie Elizabeth » 12 May 2019, 14:32

Thanks for the very entertaining review! I laughed out loud a few times. It is too bad that it is so poorly written!

TinyikoS
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tinyikos.html
Latest Review: The Biblical Clock by Daniel Friedmann and Dania Sheldon

Post by TinyikoS » 12 May 2019, 16:18

When I looked at the cover of the book ,I thought "oh ,a love story" then I read your review ,lol, energies and spirits..sounds like an interesting story..

CommMayo
Previous Member of the Month
2019 Reading Goal: 20
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 50
2018 Reading Goal: 30
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 110
2017 Reading Goal: 6
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 183
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-commmayo.html
Latest Review: Summer in Jane's Garden by Jane Huml
Reading Device: B00G2Y4WNY

Post by CommMayo » 13 May 2019, 11:21

This might just be my favorite review of a one star book I have ever read. I'm very glad you were able to get some level of entertainment value from it.

SamSim
2019 Reading Goal: 120
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 5
2018 Reading Goal: 100
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 24
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 223
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samsim.html
Latest Review: Playing Life by Ear by Doris Markland
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by SamSim » 13 May 2019, 14:12

Oh, my, what a mess! This rather prudish grammar stickler was uncomfortable just reading about the book, lol. Your review was highly entertaining, though!
Samantha Simoneau

“But upon the stage of life, while conscience claps, let the world hiss! On the contrary if conscience disapproves, the loudest applauses of the world are of little value."
~John Adams :greetings-clapyellow:

kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
2019 Reading Goal: 95
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 37
2018 Reading Goal: 115
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 94
2017 Reading Goal: 100
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 94
Currently Reading: Scorched
Bookshelf Size: 272
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Descent of the Phoenix by Morgan Paul Cooper

Post by kandscreeley » 14 May 2019, 09:34

Nearly every aspect of its execution fails in such incredible fashion that it's quite a spectacle, so if you have a fondness for so-bad-it's-good media, you will love reading this book. As a brief taste, I'll close this review with my absolute favorite quote: "I'm going to f---k a whole platoon of them! Yum, yum, here I come!"
By far, that was my favorite part of your review. I don't read erotica, so I wouldn't even consider this. However, it seems like this is one of those authors that thinks everyone that reads erotica just wants the smut. They don't need a plot or character development or even good grammar. That isn't always true. In any case, thanks for the laugh.
“There is no friend as loyal as a book.”
― Ernest Hemingway

sri varshini303041
2019 Reading Goal: 50
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 26
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 88
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sri-varshini303041.html
Latest Review: First Lessons by Lina J. Potter

Post by sri varshini303041 » 14 May 2019, 23:26

Your review was very funny. :lol: Thank you for finish reading the book. I know how it feels to push yourself to finish it, even though your gut hates it.

Nisha Ward
2019 Reading Goal: 40
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 55
Favorite Author: Garth Nix
Favorite Book: The Crystilleries of Echoland
Currently Reading: Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone
Bookshelf Size: 133
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nisha-ward.html
Latest Review: The Three Witches and the Three Headed Dagger by Henry Regnault
Reading Device: B0794RHPZD
fav_author_id: 4351

Post by Nisha Ward » 15 May 2019, 03:12

I...wow. I have no idea what to say about that quote but now I'm curious as to its context. It's probably a good thing that it's so bad it's good because even if plot tends to be thin in erotica, it's still a necessary part of it.
"...while a book has got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the reader it's got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the writer as well." - Terry Pratchett on The Last Continent and his writing.

SavannaEGoth
2018 Reading Goal: 0
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 0
2017 Reading Goal: 0
Favorite Book: Warriors
Currently Reading: Gringo
Bookshelf Size: 31

Post by SavannaEGoth » 17 May 2019, 20:06

I dropped by your review after finishing my very own first review for a supernatural fantasy on the site myself. I rated it a one out of four, and was feeling a bit nervous about having given it such a low score, so I was hunting around for other low-scored books to reassure myself. Finding your review brightened my mood considerably. The book sounds . . . interesting. I think you had a lot of the same issues I did reading the other one. I enjoyed your playful manner of writing and the enthusiasm you put into emphasizing the book's failures. Admittedly, though erotic is not my thing, I'm finding myself tempted to read or review this one myself just to experience what you've described.

Thank you for reviewing and writing this!
"I'm going to die whatever you do, but I'm not afraid."
- Yellowfang Warriors: Rising Storm

Uinto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 374

Post by Uinto » 20 May 2019, 17:07

When I started reading this review I thought I had a winning book until I came to the short comings of the novel. Too bad it doesn't deliver in the execution of the plot among others. Thanks for the review.

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”