Review by PENcilMANIA -- We are Voulhire: A New Arrival ...

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
PENcilMANIA
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pencilmania.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz

Review by PENcilMANIA -- We are Voulhire: A New Arrival ...

Post by PENcilMANIA »

[Following is a volunteer review of "We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies" by Matthew Tysz.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

You know a book has served its purpose when the characters and the plot linger in your mind long after the book is finished. The book ‘We are Voulhire – A New Arrival Under Great Skies’ by Mathew Tysz has done just that.

This book is a confluence of battles, magic, mystery and darkness with a hint of humor in the beautiful land of Voulhire reigned by King Wilhelm. Voulhire has many cities, Soulhire – the capitol, Virko – the industrial city, Yamonsoul – the holy place and many more. Consequently it has its enemies. Riva Rohavi, the rebellious children of the land having long envied Voulhire’s growth and development, have been the source of constant yet minor attacks all over the land. And now to their new addition – Lord Meldorath, a banished mage who holds a grudge against the king and wishes to rule over both the worlds, Cosmos ( the physical world ) and Caromentis ( the world of magic).

Galen - in whose narrative the book is written – is a commoner who has just escaped to Voulhire to inherit his uncle’s wealth and a forge in a coastal city of magnum Caelum. Unaware of the history or the enemy’s of the land, he sets up to live a prosperous life alongside his newly found friend (also his uncles executor) Rowan. Not far away is the port city of Hillport which has suffered greatly under lord Meldorath before he was imprisoned. Lord Eldus was appointed to remedy the sufferings of the people and give them hope. Will Lord Eldus succeed in his endeavor? Will Meldorath resurface? How does a commoner like Galen play a role in all this? What happens to the long worshiped peaceful land of Voulhire? This enchanting book and the succeeding ones in the series ‘We are Voulhire’ holds the answers and will no doubt fascinate its readers.

True, I had some insecurities in reading a book without any recommendations, but the book had me captivated and I read it nonstop. As I journeyed through the book, I found it difficult to get up even for cup of coffee. I can’t wait to get my hand on the next book in the series. I recommend this book to all imaginative readers as well as fans of Lord of the Rings and Game of Thrones. I personally liked the way the book is written, the language has the power to entice your mind and carry you away into the pages of the book. The book is exceptional with hardly any errors and well edited, hence I give it 4 out of 4 stars.

The one thing that I disliked was that the book had a childrens’ story book start - ‘Once upon a time….’ but this gets masked as the story unfurls. I would have preferred if the author had not cut short the story into such a small book. Being the first book in the series, 130 pages is deficient to impart deep desire for the entire story. Also the book has just one major incident but this is just a start. Overall the book is very promising and I don’t see why it will not climb the ladder to a bestseller!

We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like PENcilMANIA's review? Post a comment saying so!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”