Official Review: The Ring of Darkness by T.R.Michaud

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
You must limit each topic thread in this section to only one book or only one series. Make the title of the topic the name of the book, and if possible also include the author's name. If you want to allow spoilers, you must include the word spoilers in the title of the topic, otherwise spoilers are prohibited.
ZenaLei7
2019 Reading Goal: 20
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 115
2018 Reading Goal: 50
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 36
2017 Reading Goal: 100
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 43
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 92
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zenalei7.html
Latest Review: The Legend of Montavia 2nd Edition by T.C. Turner

Official Review: The Ring of Darkness by T.R.Michaud

Post by ZenaLei7 » 08 May 2019, 23:36

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Ring of Darkness" by T.R.Michaud.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Ring of Darkness, by T. R. Michaud, is a sci-fi/fantasy book filled with action and adventure. Written in the third person perspective, this book is told from the viewpoints of several different characters.

In the village of Oakhurst, villagers have slowly been disappearing, leaving behind almost no evidence of where they went. The captain of the local militia, Captain Woodrow, sends off twelve of his soldiers to investigate, but they have yet to return. When Calvin, a cavalier, goes into a tavern in Oakhurst to find out more about the disappearances, he discovers that there are others like him who are eager to unearth who or what is behind the disappearances. With the approval of Captain Woodrow, Calvin along with a young mage, an elf, a gnome, and three local villagers set off on a journey to find the missing twelve soldiers as well as the cause of the disappearances. They have no idea what’s in store for them as they encounter unknown beings who could either be friends or foes.

What I like the most about this book was the elaborate plot. There were a few surprising twists that I never saw coming, and I thought the subplots flowed well with the main storyline. I like how the author described each scene, especially the fight scenes, with great detail as I could clearly visualize what was happening in the book. For example, the author broke up each fight scene in sections which focused on each character as they battled their opponent. Moreover, I thought the author did a great job of giving the background stories whenever it was needed. This made story flow well since I wasn’t bombarded with everyone’s background stories at the beginning of the book.

For the most part, I found the characters to be interesting, but somewhat lacking in depth. There were many characters introduced in the story, so it was understandable that the author wasn’t able to go as in depth on some of the secondary characters, but it seemed like some of the main characters were flat. Most of the main characters, like Calvin and Faith, had background stories, but I felt that I didn’t really connect with them. There was a secondary character that surprised me when he switched sides, but I will not name who it is in fear of spoiling the book. I thought that this character was more multidimensional than Calvin, which is surprising since Calvin is one of the main characters in this book.

Furthermore, there were multiple grammatical errors and spelling mistakes that distracted me as I read the book. There were also spacing issues and a couple of awkwardly written sentences that forced me to reread the sentences. I would also not recommend this book for younger readers because of mature topics like sex.

Overall, I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars. I gave it 3 stars mainly because of the number of errors littered throughout the book. Besides the errors, I found the book to be engaging and exciting to read. I would recommend this book to readers who like fantasy books filled with mythical creatures and magic.

The Ring of Darkness
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like ZenaLei7's review? Post a comment saying so!
“The only important thing in a book is the meaning that it has for you.” - W. Somerset Maugham

kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
2019 Reading Goal: 95
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 36
2018 Reading Goal: 115
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 94
2017 Reading Goal: 100
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 94
Currently Reading: Scorched
Bookshelf Size: 271
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Descent of the Phoenix by Morgan Paul Cooper

Post by kandscreeley » 10 May 2019, 09:08

It's too bad about the mistakes; I'm not sure why so many authors skip the proofreading step. It's so important. I don't know why, but this reminds me a bit of the M. Night Shamalyan movie The Village. It sounds intriguing for sure. Thanks!
“There is no friend as loyal as a book.”
― Ernest Hemingway

Stephanie Elizabeth
2019 Reading Goal: 40
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 37
Currently Reading: A Witch in Time Saves Nine
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephanie-elizabeth.html
Latest Review: Being Greta by Maxine Sinclair

Post by Stephanie Elizabeth » 10 May 2019, 09:13

I think it's neat how the author broke up the fight scenes into different parts which focused on each opponent. Sounds like an action-packed book, but it is too bad the editing missed the mark. Great review!

T_stone
2019 Reading Goal: 70
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 15
2018 Reading Goal: 20
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 35
Currently Reading: Boy 2 Man
Bookshelf Size: 88
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-t-stone.html
Latest Review: Winning Baseball: A Simple Game of 10 by Les Gerdin
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by T_stone » 10 May 2019, 10:16

Too bad there was a lot of grammatical errors in this book; this will detract my flow and enjoyment of this book. I think I'll pass on this one. Thanks for the brilliant review.
Feeling upset sometimes may be unavoidable, but acting distressed is always optional.

Rob White

Rachel Lea
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rachel-lea.html
Latest Review: A Roadmap To Career Success by John G Bendt

Post by Rachel Lea » 10 May 2019, 12:18

The initial premise of Michaud's The Ring of Darkness is one that I've seen before--in a small town/village, people have mysteriously gone missing and it's up to the heroes to find the lost victims and uncover the truth--but I would be interested to see whether the author can add their own unique twist to it. The fact that the story is set in a fantasy world is a little bit different and interesting. It's too bad about all of the grammar errors, though. Thank you for your review!
"A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies... The man who never reads lives only one." -- George R.R. Martin :techie-studyingbrown:

Ellylion
Favorite Book: Angelology
Currently Reading: Mythic Worlds and the One You Can Believe In
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ellylion.html
Latest Review: The Biblical Clock by Daniel Friedmann and Dania Sheldon

Post by Ellylion » 10 May 2019, 14:03

This book seems to be very interesting even in spite of all the errors you mentioned above. I love fantasy mystery stories, so I'll check this one out :) Thank you for a great review!

Fazzier
2019 Reading Goal: 100
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 16
Currently Reading: A Police Action
Bookshelf Size: 103
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fazzier.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Fazzier » 10 May 2019, 15:22

I'm a fan of sci-fi/fantasy novels and your wonderful review has just piqued my interest in thia book. I'm particularly curious about where the disappeared people went to. Thank you for bringing this to our attention!

TripToAfter
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-triptoafter.html
Latest Review: World, Incorporated by Tom Gariffo

Post by TripToAfter » 10 May 2019, 17:40

This book sounds like a bit of a thrill. A hunt. An adventure. Action-packed. It’s a shame about the flat characters though. I suppose if there’s enough going on in the plot, one may sort of overlook that factor. Anyhow, great review!

Quickstudy
2019 Reading Goal: 300
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 6
Currently Reading: A Witch in Time Saves Nine
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-quickstudy.html
Latest Review: The Attuned by Gary B. Haley

Post by Quickstudy » 10 May 2019, 23:13

I am instantly drawn to books of a character finding out they are not alone. We live , thinking no one else shares our hardships, pain, or in this case powers.

Great review.

8amaseter
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 6

Post by 8amaseter » 11 May 2019, 11:06

To me the most intriguing part of the book is where sholdiers on a rescue mission too are missing. The story is filled with suspence; this is what makes it a good read despite the errors. Great review.

amjohnson13mommy
2019 Reading Goal: 10
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amjohnson13mommy.html
Latest Review: The Biblical Clock by Daniel Friedmann and Dania Sheldon

Post by amjohnson13mommy » 13 May 2019, 13:56

Being able to see the story in my head is what I love about reading. But the lack of character depth would really bother me. So I am torn between these two points and cannot decide whether I would enjoy this book or not.
amjohnson13

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”