Review by Hiruni Bhagya 81 -- We are Voulhire: A New Arr...

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Hiruni Bhagya 81
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 128
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hiruni-bhagya-81.html
Latest Review: Randy Love...at your service by Shay Carter

Review by Hiruni Bhagya 81 -- We are Voulhire: A New Arr...

Post by Hiruni Bhagya 81 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies" by Matthew Tysz.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Emperor of lullabies has four sons who are not conspiring to kill each other but to overthrow their father and divide his kingdom equally among them. So, the wise and crafty emperor gave each of them one of a small chain of islands off the mainland of his empire. Also, he gave each of his sons a small army and lots of weapons to defend their holds from invaders. Soon, the princes are at war with each other and the lands of Princes are in constant chaos and blood baths.

Galen Bray has met with an opportunity to sail away from these lands of war. The great uncle he never knew he had, has left him his forge in a faraway land. Now, Galen who only knew survival in the lands of Princes has to carry on his uncle's legacy. Even if he doesn't have the faintest idea about forging, he has to learn. Fortunately, his uncle's executor is there to teach him the basics of forging and help him navigate this foreign land, known to all as 'Voulhire'.

King Wilhelm Arcola is Voulhire's ruler. Like any other great kingdom, Voulhire too has enemies. If anyone can be dangerous than a pedophile, it's Meldorath. Meldorath is the most powerful mage, and he has a grudge against King for betraying him. Riva Rohavi are the descendants of people who didn't bow down to the rule of the first Voulhirian King. Both these enemies are powerful and are a threat to the kingdom and its ruler. So, how will their tale unfold?

WE ARE VOULHIRE: A New Arrival Under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz is the first book in We Are Voulhire series. This is not a long tale and consists of only 138 pages. It is fast paced and I'm sure you won't be bored for a single moment while you're reading it. Since the storyline captivated me, I went through it within a single day.

What I liked most about it was the way the author kept readers on their toes. Other than the few characters whom you could predict were gonna be evil from the beginning, it was full of unexpected twists. Since I can't give you spoilers, I'll just warn you to expect the unexpected when you embark on this journey. Also, the character development was great and inclusion of humor made it easy to sail through heavy, serious situations.

I liked everything about this book except the use of profanity within the context, which didn't appear to be much appropriate. We've only heard about the use of formal languages during the reigning periods of kings. So, this might appear awkward to certain readers. But, in fantasies, since there are no limits for authors, you can't find fault with the author. But there was one instance on page 20 where the statement “your uncle paid top dollar for me” was not valid for the story as the currency used were gold and silver coins and not dollars.

Aside from the above-mentioned error and another error of a missing word, this book appeared to be professionally edited. Therefore, I can award it a 4 out of 4 stars as character development, storyline, and everything else appeared to be immaculate. This read will be perfect for fans of sci-fi, and fantasy genres and those who like to read books about mages and magic. But, if you're not fond of bloody scenes, massacres or any sensitive themes, then you'd better skip this. Also, it's better if young readers are not reading it, because there's mature content included.

We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Hiruni Bhagya 81's review? Post a comment saying so!
Prisallen
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 152
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prisallen.html
Latest Review: Vengeful by AJ Parnell

Post by Prisallen »

The emperor's sons were all too crafty and devious for their own goods. This sounds like a fast-paced book that was very interesting. Thanks for a wonderful review!
Latest Review: Vengeful by AJ Parnell
Hiruni Bhagya 81
Currently Reading:

Prisallen wrote: 21 May 2019, 12:33 The emperor's sons were all too crafty and devious for their own goods. This sounds like a fast-paced book that was very interesting. Thanks for a wonderful review!
Thanks so much for sharing your thoughts.
unamilagra
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Explosive Child
Bookshelf Size: 92
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-unamilagra.html
Latest Review: Atropos by John Japuntich
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by unamilagra »

This sounds like a very interesting premise, and I love when stories have lots of twists and turns. I might check this one out. Great review!
Hiruni Bhagya 81
Currently Reading:

unamilagra wrote: 21 May 2019, 22:19 This sounds like a very interesting premise, and I love when stories have lots of twists and turns. I might check this one out. Great review!
I sure hope you enjoy it. Thanks for dropping by and your comments.
Nisha Ward
Previous Member of the Month
2021 Reading Goal: 50
Favorite Author: Garth Nix
Favorite Book: Binti Home
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 255
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nisha-ward.html
Latest Review: Why Trial Attorneys Have Gray Hair by Richard T. Snrod Esq.
Reading Device: B0794RHPZD
fav_author_id: 4351

Post by Nisha Ward »

The land of Princes sounds like an exhausting place in which to live. Much like Mr. Tsyz's other books, I'm sure that that's the least of Galen's problems, though. I'll be sure to check it out.
"...while a book has got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the reader it's got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the writer as well." - Terry Pratchett on The Last Continent and his writing.
Hiruni Bhagya 81
Currently Reading:

Nisha Ward wrote: 22 May 2019, 10:31 The land of Princes sounds like an exhausting place in which to live. Much like Mr. Tsyz's other books, I'm sure that that's the least of Galen's problems, though. I'll be sure to check it out.
If you like author's other books, I'm sure you'll find this book to be interesting as well. I hope you enjoy it and thanks for your comments.
Dentarthurdent
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dentarthurdent.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Dentarthurdent »

Great review! I like how thorough your work is. This does sound like Tysz's other works, and I'll definitely give it a shot. Good eye; I probably would have missed the 'top dollar' phrase.
"I say what it occurs to me to say when I think I hear people say things. More I cannot say"
--Douglas Adams, The Restaurant at the End of the Universe.
juliusotieno02
Favorite Book: Mythic Worlds and the One You Can Believe In
Currently Reading: Aftermath
Bookshelf Size: 229
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-juliusotieno02.html
Latest Review: Read My Mind by Stephen McLeod

Post by juliusotieno02 »

Thanks so much for a great review. I'm currently reading the third book in this series and i must say that the series is character driven. I particularly loved the way you adequately summarized the book without any spoiler.
Bury your dictionaries

The words you need
are in your heart
and the eyes
of the people
you love.
Hiruni Bhagya 81
Currently Reading:

Dentarthurdent wrote: 23 May 2019, 16:40 Great review! I like how thorough your work is. This does sound like Tysz's other works, and I'll definitely give it a shot. Good eye; I probably would have missed the 'top dollar' phrase.
Yeah, it's definitely like his other works. Thanks so much for your encouraging comments!
Hiruni Bhagya 81
Currently Reading:

juliusotieno02 wrote: 23 May 2019, 21:53 Thanks so much for a great review. I'm currently reading the third book in this series and i must say that the series is character driven. I particularly loved the way you adequately summarized the book without any spoiler.
Thanks so much for sharing your thoughts!
Charlyt
Favorite Book: The Night Circus
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 103
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-charlyt.html
Latest Review: Worldlines by Adam Guest

Post by Charlyt »

Good eye for catching that "dollar" error. I didn't notice it myself. I hope we learn more about the Land of the Princes in the future. Great review!
"It is neither fair nor unfair, Nobody Owens. It simply is." -NG
Hiruni Bhagya 81
Currently Reading:

Charlyt wrote: 24 May 2019, 09:03 Good eye for catching that "dollar" error. I didn't notice it myself. I hope we learn more about the Land of the Princes in the future. Great review!
I too was curious about the Land of Princes. Let's hope to get more than glimpse into the next installment. Thanks so much for sharing your thoughts!
danielleamy
Favorite Book: The Handmaid's Tale
Currently Reading: The calm coach
Bookshelf Size: 96
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-danielleamy.html
Latest Review: Nocturnal by Tim W BYrd
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by danielleamy »

I've seen so many good reviews for Tysz's work recently. This sounds like a great, unpredictable thriller! Thanks for a concise review, I'll have to add this to my list
All the reading she had done had given her a view of life that they had never seen - Matilda, Roald Dahl
Hiruni Bhagya 81
Currently Reading:

danielleamy wrote: 24 May 2019, 16:08 I've seen so many good reviews for Tysz's work recently. This sounds like a great, unpredictable thriller! Thanks for a concise review, I'll have to add this to my list
Thanks for dropping by and commenting!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”