Review by Fazzier -- We are Voulhire: A New Arrival unde...

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Fazzier
Currently Reading: Secondary Break
Bookshelf Size: 249
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fazzier.html
Latest Review: PCI DSS: An Integrated Data Security Standard Guide by Jim Seaman

Review by Fazzier -- We are Voulhire: A New Arrival unde...

Post by Fazzier »

[Following is a volunteer review of "We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies" by Matthew Tysz.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz is a science fiction novel. It is the first book of the “We are Voulhire” series. Galen Bray leaves the Lands of the Princes to Magnum Caelum, one of the towns in the prosperous and peaceful Voulhirian Kingdom. He expects to reconstruct his war-torn life by managing a forge business left for him by his late uncle, Galen Onita, who once lived in the city. By chance, in the process of working in the forge, Galen discovers lactis. This rare and mysterious white steel was believed to have come from Caromentis, the magic world.

Meanwhile, Wilhelm Arcolo, the king of Voulhire, appoints Eldus Wilberman as the new mayor of Hillport, a coastal city near Magnum Caelum. The former judge at a court in Soulhire, Voulhire's capital, was entrusted with tapping the area's resources and renovating the shanty town to match other towns in Voulhire. Besides, Lord Eldus Wilberman was tasked with ending the people's hysteria which was caused by Lord Orlin and Lord Meldorath, former mayors of Hillport. This, however, was not to be, following the emergence of malicious biomages and violent insurgents who called themselves the Riva Rohavi.

Spanning for only 137 pages, this book is not only a quick-read but has also been given a strong foundation for the next books in the series. I realized that the characters were well-developed making them both interesting and relatable. This novel also uses the first and the third person narrative style. In particular, I liked the first person narrative style since it enabled me to know the viewpoint of the characters involved in the narration. Besides, the author’s use of mysteries to create suspense kept my eyes glued in this page-turner, further heightening my curiosity to find out more about the series. I'm, therefore, looking forward to reading the next sequel.

I also liked the author's inclusion of Voulhire’s map at the beginning of the book. This imprinted, in my brain, locations of different places in the kingdom, starting me off with the adventurous journey in the fantasy world. However, there is a place in the map that has been named as ‘Virco’ but has, throughout its usage in the book, been spelled as ‘Virko’. This shows inconsistency, and can be a bit confusing to the readers.

What I liked the most was the author's portrayal of the Voulhire Kingdom. The inhabitants highly valued working hard and their efforts were adequately appreciated. For this purpose, on the calendar of Soulhire, the Feast of Human Hands was written more boldly than anniversaries and birthdays. That was the time when the citizens celebrated the year's prosperities and pray for the prosperous future. King Wilhelm Arcolo valued the people's work and evidently regarded everybody with respect.

All in all, there is nothing I disliked about this book. It was well-edited only for some minor errors. Most of the mistakes I identified were instances of improper capitalization. However, the errors did not detract my overall enjoyment of the book. I'm, therefore, glad to rate We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz 4 out of 4 stars. Imagination and high level of creativity ooze from every page of this book. I recommend it to readers who like science fiction adventures.

We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Fazzier's review? Post a comment saying so!
Washboard
Currently Reading: Murdered
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-washboard.html
Latest Review: The Sunken Forest by R. Barber Anderson

Post by Washboard »

I liked the inclusion of the map as well. It was a nice touch to help people visualize where the different events were taking place. I didn't notice the spelling change that you pointed out though! Good catch!
Kelyn
Currently Reading: When North Becomes South
Bookshelf Size: 224
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kelyn.html
Latest Review: Misfit's Rise by Sara E. Tall
Reading Device: B018QAYM7C

Post by Kelyn »

Interesting that this is advertised as sci-fi. I usually associate mages (bio- or otherwise) with the fantasy genre. Regardless, just knowing that I have liked Matthew Tysz's writing in the past is enough to make me want to take a look. Thanks for the interesting review!
I think it's a good thing that life isn't fair...if it was, it would mean we deserve all the bad things that happen to us. :eusa-think: - Marcus - Deep Space Nine
Fazzier
Latest Review: PCI DSS: An Integrated Data Security Standard Guide by Jim Seaman

Post by Fazzier »

Washboard wrote: 19 May 2019, 13:19 I liked the inclusion of the map as well. It was a nice touch to help people visualize where the different events were taking place. I didn't notice the spelling change that you pointed out though! Good catch!
Aaw! Thank you so much Washboard!
Fazzier

Post by Fazzier »

Kelyn wrote: 19 May 2019, 13:55 Interesting that this is advertised as sci-fi. I usually associate mages (bio- or otherwise) with the fantasy genre. Regardless, just knowing that I have liked Matthew Tysz's writing in the past is enough to make me want to take a look. Thanks for the interesting review!
I'm glad to hear that you too like Matthew Tysz’s writings. Can't get enough of his works myself. Thank you so much, Kelyn, for your comment!
unamilagra
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Explosive Child
Bookshelf Size: 92
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-unamilagra.html
Latest Review: Atropos by John Japuntich
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by unamilagra »

This sounds like a very interesting story and a good setup for the sequel. I always like when maps are included when dealing with complicated fantasy worlds. Great review!
Fazzier

Post by Fazzier »

unamilagra wrote: 20 May 2019, 09:54 This sounds like a very interesting story and a good setup for the sequel. I always like when maps are included when dealing with complicated fantasy worlds. Great review!
Thank you so much for stopping by and for commenting!
sarahmarlowe
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: One Second After
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 191
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarahmarlowe.html
Latest Review: The best therapy by Jim LaPierre LCSW, CCS
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by sarahmarlowe »

I also liked the author's inclusion of Voulhire’s map at the beginning of the book.
I also enjoy visuals in books. Like you said, it helps me to follow the story in my mind. Nice review!
sarahmarlowe
You can spend your time however you want, but you can spend it only once. :eusa-think:
allbooked+
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-allbooked.html
Latest Review: A Bonza Life by Brian murphy

Post by allbooked+ »

Sounds like a lot of story to pack in to 137 pages! I enjoyed your review, very thorough!
Prisallen
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 152
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prisallen.html
Latest Review: Vengeful by AJ Parnell

Post by Prisallen »

This sounds like a very descriptive novel. I do like science fiction, so I may have to take a look at this one. Thank you for a great review!
Latest Review: Vengeful by AJ Parnell
juliusotieno02
Favorite Book: Mythic Worlds and the One You Can Believe In
Currently Reading: Aftermath
Bookshelf Size: 229
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-juliusotieno02.html
Latest Review: Read My Mind by Stephen McLeod

Post by juliusotieno02 »

I'm currently reading the third book in this series; i must mention that this author writes a very good character-driven story. You've written a very good review,especially the summary part where you've adequately equipped us with the happenings. Thanks for the review.
Bury your dictionaries

The words you need
are in your heart
and the eyes
of the people
you love.
Meg98
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-meg98.html
Latest Review: Finding A Job in Tough Times by Dr. Tim Johnson

Post by Meg98 »

I have been thinking about reading this series for a while, but wasn't sure if it would be good enough to commit. Your review has intrigued me, and I think I will finally pick one up and hopefully enjoy it as much as you did! Thanks for your excellent and thorough review. Cheers:)
Oh love, never be afraid to fly :wink2:
Fazzier

Post by Fazzier »

allbooked+ wrote: 20 May 2019, 20:54 Sounds like a lot of story to pack in to 137 pages! I enjoyed your review, very thorough!
Thank you for commenting!
Fazzier

Post by Fazzier »

Prisallen wrote: 21 May 2019, 10:56 This sounds like a very descriptive novel. I do like science fiction, so I may have to take a look at this one. Thank you for a great review!
Thank you so much for your comment!
Fazzier

Post by Fazzier »

sarahmarlowe wrote: 20 May 2019, 16:28
I also liked the author's inclusion of Voulhire’s map at the beginning of the book.
I also enjoy visuals in books. Like you said, it helps me to follow the story in my mind. Nice review!
It was very unique of the author to include the visual. Thank you so much for your comment!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”