Review by C-obi -- We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
C-obi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-c-obi.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Review by C-obi -- We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko

Post by C-obi » 06 May 2019, 13:57

[Following is a volunteer review of "We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko" by Matthew Tysz.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The book We are Voulhire: The Fires Of Virko by Matthew Tysz is a story that talks about the series of events that take place around the city of Virko. It all began with the death of the city's ruler; Lord Venden. A power tussle soon ensued and the outcome was dumbfounding. Simultaneously, the seat of the spiritual ruler or Eiodi was also a target. The complex web of events all revolve around the characters; Galen the blacksmith, Demetrius the monk and the playboy Rowan. The story brings to light the extent an individual can go to, to obtain power.

The story is spell bounding and has the potential of keeping you glued to the story until you get to the very last sentence. It also conjures a combination of the concepts, faith, magic, and science. It tends to relate these concepts from the perspective of the characters. The story bears the excitement that trails you as you read We are Voulhire: Someone else's end but has the potential of making you sober with the turn of certain events in the story. The story also has its humorous side. There are some statements that you come across that simply gets you laughing your sides out. Matthew Tysz did a great job in combining fiction with humor, spicing it up with action and then sprinkling it with fantasy and magic. He somewhat gave the story that taste that comes with occasional tragedy in the midst of action and humor.

What I loved most about the book was its potential to keep you attached to the story until the very end. I also loved the way Matthew Tysz presented the sexuality of some of the characters using slang and indirect correspondence of events.

What I disliked about the book was the occasional use of vulgar words. It, however, did not dim the excitement. It only made me extra cautious as I read.

A great story not only has the potential of keeping you spellbound but also has the capability of passing across the ideologies of the writer through the storyline. It's my hope that Matthew Tysz will come to understand that. Whatever we write on, and irrespective of the storyline, our aim should always be to lead others to the truth, irrespective of how insignificant it is made to appear in the story.

The story was also well edited, and I would not be mistaken if I say that the editing was professionally done.

I am rating the book four out of four stars. It is a beautiful story and anyone can easily tell that it is a preceding sequence to We are Voulhire: Someone else's end. I am also giving it that rating because it has some lessons we can all learn from, irrespective of the use of offensive words.

I am recommending the book for all book lovers, who do not mind the use of certain words in the story.

We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko
View: on Bookshelves

Like C-obi's review? Post a comment saying so!

C-obi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-c-obi.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by C-obi » 14 Jun 2019, 09:49

This is one book I have read and fallen in love with. Will recommend this book to all who love a good story.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”