Official Review: Do the Gods Hear Our Prayers?

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
You must limit each topic thread in this section to only one book or only one series. Make the title of the topic the name of the book, and if possible also include the author's name. If you want to allow spoilers, you must include the word spoilers in the title of the topic, otherwise spoilers are prohibited.
kislany
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 292
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kislany.html
Latest Review: The Soles of Cyrus Eblis by Mark Macedonia

Official Review: Do the Gods Hear Our Prayers?

Post by kislany » 03 May 2019, 03:03

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Do the Gods Hear Our Prayers?" by Jeff Henrikson.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Do the Gods Hear Our Prayers? by Jeff Henrikson is the first book in the epic fantasy series titled A Prayer for Peace.

Set on the continent of Tellus, the last elven kingdom called Armena is close to annihilation. Humans have been cutting down the trees along the border between the human world and the elven domain, so now the elven territory has been rapidly shrinking. However, humans are not the only threat to the elves. They are also threatened by the Machiavellian manipulations of the dangerous Talon Thieves Guild which wants to destabilize the current status quo between the races. Also, the gods themselves have nefarious plans for each other and for the kingdoms below.

The book has several developing story arcs and many characters. While I can’t possibly name them all, three main heroes are worth mentioning because they keep these stories together: Evisar and Jefon, two elven brothers, and Xander, a half-elf thief who joins them on the epic journey. At its basics, the book is a coming-of-age tale of the wrongfully exiled brothers who have countless adventures, make friends, battle enemies, and work their way through the life-altering quest to save their kingdom from peril.

The author fleshed out the main characters very well, and he gave them human traits we could all relate to. During their trials and tribulations, they learned the meaning of true friendship, brotherhood, and sacrifice, and they grew in ways they didn’t expect. They all had very different traits, and the clash of their personalities made for some interesting interactions. For example, Xander, a thief by trade, was also an accomplished liar, and this didn’t sit well with the honorable brothers who were constantly bickering about taking Xander along. Initially, I didn’t like Xander; however, he somehow snuck past my defenses and became one of my favorite characters in the book.

Jeff Henrikson told the story using multiple narrators, which allowed us to see a particular event from several angles through the eyes of various characters. To help avoid confusion due to the many characters involved, the author added to the book not only a map of the world but also a list of protagonists to keep up with. This list helped me stay on track quite a few times while reading the story.

While I can’t compare it to the Game of Thrones, there were elements that slightly reminded me of one of my favorite epic fantasy books. Both have a myriad of characters of different races, many interweaving story arcs, deadly betrayals, dragons, and various kingdoms at war with each other. Still, the story differs greatly from anything else I have read in the genre.

In terms of layout, there were a few typographical errors present such as the missing book cover and many page numbers appearing in wrong places. However, I checked a sample of the book on Amazon, and the formatting there was correct. As for grammar, I haven’t found any significant errors, which is impressive for such a complex book. I was so absorbed in the story that I didn’t look too closely for mistakes. This says something about a book that does what it’s supposed to do: take its readers on an epic journey to another place and make them forget about the real world for a while.

My only minor complaint comes from my slight disappointment with the ending of the book. Not every loose thread is tied up, but I have to keep reminding myself that this is just the first book in a longer series. The brothers’ adventures are not over yet.

As I thoroughly enjoyed the story, I give Do the Gods Hear Our Prayers? 4 out of 4 stars. I am not deducting points for the wrong layout because the Amazon copy has no such issues. I recommend it to readers of epic fantasy stories with intricate world-building and complex characters. Young adults who love this genre can also read it, as I haven’t noticed anything too explicit or gory in it.

Do the Gods Hear Our Prayers?
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like kislany's review? Post a comment saying so!

kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
2019 Reading Goal: 95
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 36
2018 Reading Goal: 115
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 94
2017 Reading Goal: 100
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 94
Currently Reading: Scorched
Bookshelf Size: 271
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Descent of the Phoenix by Morgan Paul Cooper

Post by kandscreeley » 07 May 2019, 08:14

If you enjoy epic adventures, it sounds like this one is a good one to get started on. Though the plot is dissimilar, it almost has a Lord of the Rings feel to it with the different arcs and characters. I'm definitely not in the mood for this one now, but I'm glad that you enjoyed it.
“There is no friend as loyal as a book.”
― Ernest Hemingway

kdstrack
2019 Reading Goal: 100
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 48
2018 Reading Goal: 100
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 106
Currently Reading: Immortals' Requeim
Bookshelf Size: 231
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: Yesterday's Gone by Diane Bardeen

Post by kdstrack » 07 May 2019, 11:01

I enjoyed your comment about getting so engrossed in the story that you weren't noticing any errors. That is a very positive description of the athor's writing style. This sounds like an interesting beginning to an intriguing series. Thanks for the recommendation!

Rachel Lea
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rachel-lea.html
Latest Review: A Roadmap To Career Success by John G Bendt

Post by Rachel Lea » 08 May 2019, 22:39

I am a big fan of the fantasy genre and I certainly do like the title of this book--it definitely catches the reader's attention. While Henrikson uses tropes in Do the Gods Hear Our Prayers? that are very common to this particular genre (elves, warring kingdoms, dragons, etc.), it appears that he gives them his own original twist and thus creates a story that is fresh and interesting. Thank you for your review!
"A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies... The man who never reads lives only one." -- George R.R. Martin :techie-studyingbrown:

CommMayo
2019 Reading Goal: 20
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 45
2018 Reading Goal: 30
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 110
2017 Reading Goal: 6
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 183
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-commmayo.html
Latest Review: The Morning Mind by Dr. Rob Carter III and Dr. Kirti Salwe Carter
Reading Device: B00G2Y4WNY

Post by CommMayo » 14 May 2019, 09:04

Always good to hear when an author bites off a big undertaking of world and character building and it pans out. Glad you enjoyed this novel so much!

Miriam Molina
2019 Reading Goal: 50
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 48
2018 Reading Goal: 48
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 158
2017 Reading Goal: 36
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 125
Favorite Book: Can I Kill Him Now?
Currently Reading: A Stained White Radiance
Bookshelf Size: 561
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-miriam-molina.html
Latest Review: We Have Met the Enemy by Felicia A. Watson
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Miriam Molina » 14 May 2019, 17:28

I see dragons, the ultimate Kislany weakness! The gods seem to be playing games. While fantasy is not my cup of vodka, I'm happy to know you had fun with this one. I think I will like Xander too.

Nisha Ward
2019 Reading Goal: 40
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 50
Favorite Author: Garth Nix
Favorite Book: The Crystilleries of Echoland
Currently Reading: I Is a Long Memoried Woman
Bookshelf Size: 117
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nisha-ward.html
Latest Review: The Three Witches and the Three Headed Dagger by Henry Regnault
Reading Device: B0794RHPZD
fav_author_id: 4351

Post by Nisha Ward » 15 May 2019, 08:10

Ah. Epic fantasy. I do so love this genre and this book seems to fall right into that category. I also love thief protagonists, so that's a bonus.
"...while a book has got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the reader it's got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the writer as well." - Terry Pratchett on The Last Continent and his writing.

c4bersg1rl
Currently Reading: Control Room
Bookshelf Size: 377
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by c4bersg1rl » 16 May 2019, 15:17

This sounds more like Lord of the Rings. But as I have not watched or read GoT, I am only guessing. This story appeals to my inner kid and the need to immerse myself in a grand story. Thank you for your review.

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”