Review by janinewesterweel -- The King of May

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
janinewesterweel
Currently Reading: Gangster State
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-janinewesterweel.html
Latest Review: Cooperative Lives by Patrick Finegan

Review by janinewesterweel -- The King of May

Post by janinewesterweel »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The King of May" by Matthew Tysz.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

So, the second book in this series of five continues to disturb and shock. In my humble opinion, it does not get better after the first, as the author promises. I found myself more confused than ever with many added characters to try and keep track of. Whereas The Turn takes place two years after the apocalyptic event that still puzzles the survivors, The King of May is set only a month later. The two main characters Ashley and The Scholar continue to play a pivotal role. Their actions at the end of the first book have set off a new series of alarming and mysterious events. Amongst other things, the altered world is now populated with various gods and their respective powers. Most of them are vying for domination. Some of them just want to be left alone to get on with their tasks. As an aside, in case you haven’t yet read The Turn, you need to; these are not stand-alone novels.

The King of May, by Matthew Tysz, is bizarre, to say the least. A dancing king who is a god. The complex Cattleprod who can’t decide if he’s good or bad, and grows more powerful by the day. Floating islands that fly through the sky. The continuing themes of human misery, power and greed run through this story but in an even darker form than before. Cattleprod, Ashley, the Scholar, and The King of May all become intertwined in a no-holds-barred battle for supremacy over the last remaining humans on this vastly changed planet.

The warning is the same here as for the first book: this story is of an adult nature and is definitely not for the sensitive or the younger reader. Apart from brutal violence, it also has crude and obscene language and descriptions. I found myself cringing at various points, feeling that it wasn’t absolutely necessary for the story. One example is the character of Braden Hale. I’ll not go into detail here but suffice it to say that the story is bizarre enough without the addition of this man and his weird fetish. It seemed to me that the author was going for maximum shock value in this second book, often at the expense of a good tale. This played a large part in my not enjoying it as much as the first. I also found that the fantasy aspect just became too much. The story itself was so convoluted that I gave up trying to keep track of all the extra characters and events.

If I am to be completely honest, I lost interest in this novel about a quarter of the way through for those reasons, and will probably not read any more in this series.

One thing I do like, which I mentioned in my review of the first book, is the author’s very natural, easy writing style. If he were to keep his storyline a bit simpler and less complicated, I might read more of his work. I'm sure, too, that there are readers out there who will enjoy the author's over-the-top fantasy world.

Yet again the editing was of poor quality, and I found silly mistakes all the way through the novel. This has become annoying and for this reason, and the factors mentioned above, I rate The King of May 2 out of 4 stars.

The King of May
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like janinewesterweel's review? Post a comment saying so!
“Sleep is good, he said, and books are better.” :techie-reference:
― George R. R. Martin

"I’ve always believed that chaos is the muse of creation, and a good story is often driven by the choices made in the wake of madness."
- Matthew Tysz
CommMayo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-commmayo.html
Latest Review: Changed by Vicki Stiefel
Reading Device: B00G2Y4WNY

Post by CommMayo »

This does sound like quite an off-the-wall series. Thank you for your candid review and opinions.
Janelle Juncos
Favorite Book: The Unbearable Lightness of Being
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 83
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-janelle-juncos.html
Latest Review: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula by R.F. Kristi

Post by Janelle Juncos »

Shock value at the expense of a good story? Save that junk for television, people! I'll skip this book. Great review, though.
janinewesterweel

CommMayo wrote: 16 May 2019, 09:48 This does sound like quite an off-the-wall series. Thank you for your candid review and opinions.
That it is! The author does warn you going in, though, so you kind of know what to expect. Strangely enough, I really enjoyed The Turn, but this one just got to be a bit too much for me. Thanks for your comment. :tiphat:
― George R. R. Martin

"I’ve always believed that chaos is the muse of creation, and a good story is often driven by the choices made in the wake of madness."
- Matthew Tysz
janinewesterweel

Janelle Juncos wrote: 16 May 2019, 21:11 Shock value at the expense of a good story? Save that junk for television, people! I'll skip this book. Great review, though.
Absolutely! :lol: I quite enjoyed The Turn, though. Maybe have a read of my review of that one and see if it appeals to you? Appreciate your feedback, thank you! :tiphat:
― George R. R. Martin

- Matthew Tysz
Prisallen
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 233
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prisallen.html
Latest Review: Nirvatra by April Thomas

Post by Prisallen »

It's too bad that this book didn't live up to its potential like the first one did. I don't think it is for me. Thanks for a thorough review!
janinewesterweel

Prisallen wrote: 17 May 2019, 07:16 It's too bad that this book didn't live up to its potential like the first one did. I don't think it is for me. Thanks for a thorough review!
Yes...well, at least not for me, sadly. I know some others found it better than the first! Thanks for commenting. 🙂
― George R. R. Martin

- Matthew Tysz
Bianka Walter
Favorite Book: The Old Man and the Sea
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 368
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bianka-walter.html
Latest Review: Thir13en by Keegan Nielsen
Reading Device: B06XD5YCKX

Post by Bianka Walter »

Ah, what a pity. This series has so much promise. But to add something to a story for shock value is definitely not something that I appreciate. There are ways to be subtle, and I think that often has more of an impact than the OTT version this author seems to favour.

I really enjoyed your review - thanks so much!
You can find magic wherever you look. Sit back and relax, all you need is a book.
- Dr. Seuss
janinewesterweel

Bianka Walter wrote: 17 May 2019, 14:23 Ah, what a pity. This series has so much promise. But to add something to a story for shock value is definitely not something that I appreciate. There are ways to be subtle, and I think that often has more of an impact than the OTT version this author seems to favour.

I really enjoyed your review - thanks so much!
Yes, that's what I thought initially, too. You're so right - the "less is more" touch definitely has more effect in most cases. However, there were others who thought that this one was even better than the first. Each to their own, I guess. Thank you for your kind words. :)
― George R. R. Martin

- Matthew Tysz
Ellylion
Favorite Book: The Altitude Journals
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 136
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ellylion.html
Latest Review: The Islands Tell Of It by Patty Fischer

Post by Ellylion »

I was tempted to start from The King of May lately, but then I chose to read The Turn first. Now I see that I did it all right :) Yes, it's an extremely dark and complicated story, and I'm sad to learn that it gets even more complicated, confusing a reader. I agree that this series is mainly for fans of the genre... But I must confess that Cattleprod was my favorite character :) I'm not saying he was the best or lovable, but the author developed him better than the others, in my opinion. Thank you for a great review!
janinewesterweel

Ellylion wrote: 18 May 2019, 08:55 I was tempted to start from The King of May lately, but then I chose to read The Turn first. Now I see that I did it all right :) Yes, it's an extremely dark and complicated story, and I'm sad to learn that it gets even more complicated, confusing a reader. I agree that this series is mainly for fans of the genre... But I must confess that Cattleprod was my favorite character :) I'm not saying he was the best or lovable, but the author developed him better than the others, in my opinion. Thank you for a great review!
Lol, yes you did! Well...go on, be brave and read The King of May and let me know your thoughts? Cattleprod becomes even more interesting... ;)
Thanks for the compliment! :D
― George R. R. Martin

- Matthew Tysz
Bluebird03
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bluebird03.html
Latest Review: Retort and Retribution by Jak Dello

Post by Bluebird03 »

I agree, Janine, that so often authors will go overboard on the obscene language and violence- for the shock value. This sounds like one I should pass on. Hopefully the author will take your suggestions and do a more professional job of editing. Your review was excellent!
Ellylion
Favorite Book: The Altitude Journals
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 136
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ellylion.html
Latest Review: The Islands Tell Of It by Patty Fischer

Post by Ellylion »

janinewesterweel wrote: 18 May 2019, 09:11
Ellylion wrote: 18 May 2019, 08:55 I was tempted to start from The King of May lately, but then I chose to read The Turn first. Now I see that I did it all right :) Yes, it's an extremely dark and complicated story, and I'm sad to learn that it gets even more complicated, confusing a reader. I agree that this series is mainly for fans of the genre... But I must confess that Cattleprod was my favorite character :) I'm not saying he was the best or lovable, but the author developed him better than the others, in my opinion. Thank you for a great review!
Lol, yes you did! Well...go on, be brave and read The King of May and let me know your thoughts? Cattleprod becomes even more interesting... ;)
Thanks for the compliment! :D
Ha ha, if I find courage to continue with the series, I'll definitely let you know my opinion! :)
janinewesterweel

Bluebird03 wrote: 18 May 2019, 21:56 I agree, Janine, that so often authors will go overboard on the obscene language and violence- for the shock value. This sounds like one I should pass on. Hopefully the author will take your suggestions and do a more professional job of editing. Your review was excellent!
Thank you for the lovely compliment Bluebird! Yes, let's hope he gets the editing cleaned up. It really does become a distraction, because you end up just waiting to find the next error!
― George R. R. Martin

- Matthew Tysz
Amanda Deck
Currently Reading: A Sight For Psychic Eyes
Bookshelf Size: 113
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amanda-deck.html
Latest Review: Winds of Fall by Alberto Mercado

Post by Amanda Deck »

This was definitely the worst of the three in my opinion. The third seems much better though still full of crudity. It pulled the story together better and was easier to understand. Without the want-to-retch grossness and incredible number of errors, this would be so much more amazing of a read.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”