Official Review: Adriana by Mark Angelo Lusardi

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
You must limit each topic thread in this section to only one book or only one series. Make the title of the topic the name of the book, and if possible also include the author's name. If you want to allow spoilers, you must include the word spoilers in the title of the topic, otherwise spoilers are prohibited.
joshfee77
2018 Reading Goal: 30
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 210
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 177
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joshfee77.html
Latest Review: The Gatekeeper by Russ Kane

Official Review: Adriana by Mark Angelo Lusardi

Post by joshfee77 » 16 Apr 2019, 05:14

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Adriana" by Mark Angelo Lusardi.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Adriana is a science fiction novel by Mark Angelo Lusardi. Adriana Kasinski and her sister Andromeda are twins. Adriana is an autistic savant. While she lacks interpersonal skills, she has a genius-level understanding of advanced physics and concepts such as parallel universes. During childhood, her sister died in an accident while the two were playing at home. Now an adult, Adriana leaves a special care facility and begins a new life in her own apartment. One day, after walking to the park, she forgets how to get home. After a harrowing night sleeping on a park bench, she meets uni student Matt, who tries to help her by taking her home to his roommates Bea, Archie, and Sophie. But, as Adriana and her new friends ponder the subjects of physics, life, and the universe, Adriana does not realise her significance is far greater than she could ever imagine. And there is one man who will do anything to stop her...

Lusardi's prose was readable and the story was interesting right from the start. This book was a somewhat existential exploration of human life, particularly as Adriana viewed her own. Its esoteric and intelligent examination of the nature of reality and advanced physics concepts encouraged me to think deeply about the questions posed. Things got especially weird around halfway through, but I found myself reading on anyway, intrigued to learn the answers to the bigger questions in the narrative and in Adriana's mind. While I found it a bit frustrating at times trying to grasp what was really going on, the intriguing scientific questions and puzzles included by Lusardi kept me reading.

The author's descriptive writing was of especially high quality in many cases. Some descriptive sentences were very long but, given their beautiful wording, this didn't bother me at all. His characters were clearly defined, each contributing their own dynamic to the friendship group of which Adriana became a part. The dialogue also suited the characters nicely, with accents and unusual pronunciations spelled out phonetically for the reader. Finally, the mind-bending ending wrapped things up particularly well, especially given the confusing nature of much of the book. I found the conclusion very satisfying as it explained a lot and really gave me a sense of closure for the story.

Adriana did have some negatives, however. I found plenty of minor errors, mainly with punctuation, with ten such errors by less than 10% of the way through the book. Consistent with the book's content, these had me thinking the author was from a strong science background with a little less strength in English and grammar. For example: "Protected housing they called it but, Adriana felt the least protected she had ever felt in her 17 years." This should have been: "Protected housing, they called it, but Adriana felt..." There were also occasional incorrect words used such as "passed" for "past" and "discreet" for "discrete."

In conclusion, Adriana was a mind-bending scientific exploration of the nature of reality. Given that its intended audience was people interested in thinking deeply about these issues, I would be happy to rate this book 4 stars once it has been professionally edited. For now, given the errors, I must rate it 3 out of 4 stars. I believe those who would enjoy this book the most are university-level physics majors and readers who enjoy sci-fi books that ask deep, profound questions about the true nature of the universe.

Adriana
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like joshfee77's review? Post a comment saying so!

Dentarthurdent
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dentarthurdent.html
Latest Review: The Sins of a Master Race by Matthew Tysz

Post by Dentarthurdent » 20 Apr 2019, 04:07

Your review is worded very well. The premise of the book sounds fascinating, and if it is as well executed as your review suggests, it could be quite enlightening.
"I say what it occurs to me to say when I think I hear people say things. More I cannot say"
--Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.

kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
2019 Reading Goal: 95
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 36
2018 Reading Goal: 115
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 94
2017 Reading Goal: 100
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 94
Currently Reading: Scorched
Bookshelf Size: 271
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Descent of the Phoenix by Morgan Paul Cooper

Post by kandscreeley » 20 Apr 2019, 09:10

I love science fiction, but I wonder if this would be a bit too esoteric and existential for me. The descriptions sound amazing, though. A good editor could definitely fix the grammar issues. Thanks for the information.
“There is no friend as loyal as a book.”
― Ernest Hemingway

sri varshini303041
2019 Reading Goal: 50
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 24
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sri-varshini303041.html
Latest Review: First Lessons by Lina J. Potter

Post by sri varshini303041 » 21 Apr 2019, 09:18

Good proofreading and editing can always fix the grammar. but, new interesting content can be only written by great writers. The story sounds promising. Thank you for your honest and detailed review.

gen_g
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 58
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gen-g.html
Latest Review: Watch Her Shine by Deborah Henry

Post by gen_g » 21 Apr 2019, 10:57

This sounds absolutely fascinating! Sadly, my absolute and utter lack of proficiency at physics will probably hinder my enjoyment. Still, thanks for the enlightening review!

kdstrack
2019 Reading Goal: 100
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 48
2018 Reading Goal: 100
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 106
Currently Reading: Immortals' Requeim
Bookshelf Size: 231
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: Yesterday's Gone by Diane Bardeen

Post by kdstrack » 22 Apr 2019, 17:57

The story of Adriana and her twin sister is touching. An autistic savant delving into physics would be an intriguing story line. I liked your explanation of the descriptive passages. Great review!

joshfee77
Currently Reading:

Post by joshfee77 » 22 Apr 2019, 22:51

Dentarthurdent wrote:
20 Apr 2019, 04:07
Your review is worded very well. The premise of the book sounds fascinating, and if it is as well executed as your review suggests, it could be quite enlightening.
Thanks! This book is a definite mind-bender. Not sure I quite had the physics knowledge to completely do it justice, but I enjoyed it anyway.

joshfee77
Currently Reading:

Post by joshfee77 » 22 Apr 2019, 22:54

kandscreeley wrote:
20 Apr 2019, 09:10
I love science fiction, but I wonder if this would be a bit too esoteric and existential for me. The descriptions sound amazing, though. A good editor could definitely fix the grammar issues. Thanks for the information.
If you like your sci-fi based more in strict "reality" with plenty of physical examples of science and technology, this one probably isn't for you. Bit of a mind-trip, but I don't mind that for something different. Thanks.

joshfee77
Currently Reading:

Post by joshfee77 » 22 Apr 2019, 22:56

sri varshini303041 wrote:
21 Apr 2019, 09:18
Good proofreading and editing can always fix the grammar. but, new interesting content can be only written by great writers. The story sounds promising. Thank you for your honest and detailed review.
Thanks. You're absolutely right. There are many books I would have rated 4 stars once the editing was fixed. Not a difficult fix, either. The story and characters are definitely most important.

joshfee77
Currently Reading:

Post by joshfee77 » 22 Apr 2019, 22:59

gen_g wrote:
21 Apr 2019, 10:57
This sounds absolutely fascinating! Sadly, my absolute and utter lack of proficiency at physics will probably hinder my enjoyment. Still, thanks for the enlightening review!
Yeah, I felt a bit "physics-deficient" when reading this book myself... especially when the last time I learned any physics was over 25 years ago! Still enjoyed it, though. Thanks for commenting.

joshfee77
Currently Reading:

Post by joshfee77 » 22 Apr 2019, 23:02

kdstrack wrote:
22 Apr 2019, 17:57
The story of Adriana and her twin sister is touching. An autistic savant delving into physics would be an intriguing story line. I liked your explanation of the descriptive passages. Great review!
Thanks! Autistic savants are truly amazing people with some incredible talents. Much of the physics in this book was beyond me, but I enjoyed the story anyway.

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”