Official Review: The Stranger's Orphan by Alex R London

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Azeline Arcenal
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 119
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zenalei7.html
Latest Review: Christmas in the Kingdom of Kool by Joan J. Harris

Official Review: The Stranger's Orphan by Alex R London

Post by Azeline Arcenal »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Stranger's Orphan" by Alex R London.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Stranger’s Orphan, by Alex R. London, is the first book in The Armean Journals series. Set in Armea and Tagar, the story is told from the viewpoints of 6 different characters: Bianca, Anastasia, Lea, Emma, Edrik, and Persius.

Fueled by vengeance, Anastasia Daren decided to join the king’s army after learning about her brother’s death. Leaving behind Bianca, her best friend, she has no idea of what will await her once she reaches her destination. In the city of New Ortaga, Emma is used to the filth and stench that surrounds her. When her plan to steal from the Black Robes goes awry, she discovers a few shocking secrets about her past. Two soldiers, Persius and Edrik, have important roles in the Kingdom. Persius, the captain of the Academy’s guard, is faced with training the new recruits, while Edrik, the main protector of King Edgar, becomes bewitched by a sorceress with suspicious intentions. Meanwhile, the city of Sorranon, Lea’s home, has been engulfed by flames, spreading widespread alarm throughout Armea. While this causes people to fear that the dragons have risen up once more to destroy their world, not all is what it seems to be.

From the very start, the author’s detailed descriptions of the settings as well as the vivid interactions between the characters made the story easy to visualize. Every scene had a purpose, and each scene helped to move the plot along. I also like how the author included enough details in each scene to help me perceive the feelings of each character as they interacted with one another. I found the plot, which had various twist and turns, to be engaging and filled with adventure. There were also a few subplots that helped to add depth and revealed more of each character’s personality.

What I liked the most about this book was the characters and their growth throughout the story. I found most of the characters to be relatable, and all of the main characters were well-developed and dynamic. It was intriguing to read about how each character was important to the story. Since this is only the first book, I am dying to know how everything will turn out at the end.

While the story is told from the point of view of 6 different characters, I did not have a hard time keeping up with all of the characters. However, I did have a hard time keeping up with the names of the towns, since all the characters were from different areas, so I had to keep looking at the map of Armea and Tagar that the author included at the beginning of the book.

Overall, I would rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. The descriptive world building, as well as the great character development, made this book a captivating read. There were a few grammatical errors and spelling mistakes, but they did not detract from the book. I would recommend this book to anyone who likes to read fantasy books centered around medieval-style settings and magic.

The Stranger's Orphan
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like ZenaLei7's review? Post a comment saying so!
“The only important thing in a book is the meaning that it has for you.” - W. Somerset Maugham
Janelle Juncos
Favorite Book: The Unbearable Lightness of Being
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 83
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-janelle-juncos.html
Latest Review: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula by R.F. Kristi

Post by Janelle Juncos »

Oooh! Danger, intrigue, personal secrets, and dragons! This sounds like a winner, especially given that your review states it's "descriptive" and "vivid." I can't think of a single question, as your review was extraordinarily thorough. Thanks!
Prisallen
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 233
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prisallen.html
Latest Review: Nirvatra by April Thomas

Post by Prisallen »

This sounds like an intriguing book. I like books that are descriptive, so it is easy to visualize what is going on, as long as they don't overdo it. Great review!
8amaseter
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 7

Post by 8amaseter »

By this review, any lover of fantasy books will be hungry for the next series. The author has done a nice work, let the next series be as interesting as this.
kdstrack
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

I agree, there are quite a few names of characters and places to keep straight. Your explanation clarifies that the author does a good job of giving each character the necessary development. This is a fascinating recommendation. Thanks.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I love a story that you can picture as well as this. 6 different characters and perspectives might be much for me, but I'm glad you didn't have any issues keeping up. I'll think about this one longer. Thanks for the review.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
ReneeBrown
Favorite Book: The Outsiders
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 105
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reneelu1998.html
Latest Review: the brave and the wicked by Brandon clarke
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by ReneeBrown »

Thank you for this review. It seems like a very interesting book.
Dentarthurdent
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dentarthurdent.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Dentarthurdent »

I like how you kept it short, yet very detailed. That's sometimes difficult to achieve. The book definitely sounds like a winner, and it's great the author included a map to keep the locations straight. Thanks for mentioning that!
"I say what it occurs to me to say when I think I hear people say things. More I cannot say"
--Douglas Adams, The Restaurant at the End of the Universe.
HershyGreenwood
Currently Reading: A Storm of Swords
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hershygreenwood.html
Latest Review: Days of the Giants by RJ Petrella

Post by HershyGreenwood »

Thanks, this is a great review. There's just enough of the plot and the key writing highlights to pique my interest.
Nyambura Githui
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nyambura-githui.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Nyambura Githui »

Wonderful review and very descriptive. The book sounds intriguing, it's a winner for me.
Bluebird03
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bluebird03.html
Latest Review: Retort and Retribution by Jak Dello

Post by Bluebird03 »

The vivid character interactions, as well as the twists and turns, add to the intrigue of what sounds like an engaging storyline. Thank you for a great review! :)
Dawud Adaviruku
Currently Reading: Holding Fire
Bookshelf Size: 94
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dawud-adaviruku.html
Latest Review: Reconfigurement by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by Dawud Adaviruku »

This is a definitely an intriguing book to peruse. Although I'm not quite comfortable with the multi-character nature of the book but I won't mind checking it out. Great review
Prisallen
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 233
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prisallen.html
Latest Review: Nirvatra by April Thomas

Post by Prisallen »

This sounds like a detail oriented book, with multiple characters and towns. I love descriptive books and I think I would like this book. Thanks for a wonderful review!
The Fervent writer
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3

Post by The Fervent writer »

This book seems to be like a story of the medival times. This would be a fantastic book for fiction lovers. The plot has various twists and turns which would definetly impress a reader and will surely make him curious to continue the series. I would certainly prefer this book.
Thanks for the detailed review.

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”