Official Review: Sage by Mike Frassetti

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
You must limit each topic thread in this section to only one book or only one series. Make the title of the topic the name of the book, and if possible also include the author's name. If you want to allow spoilers, you must include the word spoilers in the title of the topic, otherwise spoilers are prohibited.
Bianka Walter
Previous Member of the Month
2019 Reading Goal: 45
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 42
2018 Reading Goal: 40
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 127
2017 Reading Goal: 0
Favorite Book: The Old Man and the Sea
Currently Reading: The Subtle Art Of Not Giving A f**k
Bookshelf Size: 344
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bianka-walter.html
Latest Review: Every Ghost Has Its Story by Lynda Marie Austin
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Official Review: Sage by Mike Frassetti

Post by Bianka Walter » 07 Apr 2019, 09:19

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Sage" by Mike Frassetti.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Leon the Sage is a formidable warrior who dons a scythe as his weapon of choice. He begins his journey with no recollection of who he is or where he comes from. A voice in his head, however, is a guiding force leading him to what he only hopes will be the answers he seeks. In the book Sage by Mike Frassetti, Leon collects a few friends along the way, as well as a few enemies. In his party, we find Cyrus, a wayward prince who is being hunted by his aunt to steal the throne, Gia, heir to the Silent Assassins, and Hannah, a vampire who is more human by nature than most.

As their journey progresses, the four form relationships and bonds with one another through the various battles and tribulations they encounter. The end goal gets closer and closer as they fight for the good of the kingdom and protect the lives of the innocent.

Let me start with the positives. The cover art is absolutely stunning. It gives off a comic book vibe and there is no doubt that Pipin Tobing, the illustrator, is hugely talented. There are also illustrations at the end of the story depicting a few scenes as well as a few characters that were just as fantastic. Because of the artwork, I had an easy time picturing the characters as the story evolved. In fact, I would have loved for the entire story to be in a comic book format. It lends itself to a panel-style arrangement, and I could see the story being broken up into various volumes. I feel like Mike Frassetti’s writing style is more suited to this design than to novels.

I came to this conclusion about halfway through the book when I realised that the characters were flat. There was no growth in any of them, nor was there any movement. Gia, for example, spent the entire book either in a fight, brooding about something, or practically comatose. Without fail, she was in one of those states. The other characters were similar in that regard. A novel cannot work without some form of character growth, but perhaps a comic book can.

The other thing I wasn’t too pleased about was the sexual content. Now, don’t get me wrong, I have no problem with this being a prominent theme in a book, but there are ways to go about it. In Sage, it was immature. Most of the time, the male characters came across as creepy, and the female characters just wanted to have sex. Everything turned everyone on. Constantly. There was a part where Gia was passed out (one of her few states), and Cyrus urged Leon to have his way with her. Thus commenced a discussion about consent. In the end, Leon and Cyrus agreed not to mention it again. There were many moments where I just shook my head wondering why these things were included in the book.

Because I felt like the author was making the story up as he went along, and there was no real direction a lot of the time, I have come to a rating of 2 out of 4 stars. This story could be amazing, and there is no doubt that the author has talent, but it needs to be tightened up. There are entire chapters that can be deleted due to their sheer rambling nature. The editing was also sub-par; I found countless mistakes that could be easily fixed by a thorough proofread.

This is a story that I would love to read as a graphic novel or comic book. The potential is huge, and I can say for certain that it is one that I would look forward to. As a fictional novel, however, I think it missed the mark.

Sage
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Bianka Walter's review? Post a comment saying so!
You can find magic wherever you look. Sit back and relax, all you need is a book.
- Dr. Seuss

Kibetious
Member of the Month
2019 Reading Goal: 70
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 14
2018 Reading Goal: 100
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 49
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 643
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kibetious.html
Latest Review: Mama We Made It by Karli Patterson

Post by Kibetious » 10 Apr 2019, 01:35

Thanks for the wonderful review. It seems the book was promising until the mentioned shortcomings began pouring out of its pages. I guess there is little that can be done about this and hence the readers may resort to reading it as it is.
​​​​​​He gives strength to those who are tired; to the ones who lack power, he gives renewed energy :techie-studyinggray:

Dentarthurdent
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dentarthurdent.html
Latest Review: The Turn by Matthew Tysz

Post by Dentarthurdent » 10 Apr 2019, 02:18

Thanks for the great review! Too bad about the flat characters; I was already taken in by the amazing cover art.
"I say what it occurs to me to say when I think I hear people say things. More I cannot say"
--Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.

Bianka Walter

Post by Bianka Walter » 10 Apr 2019, 06:45

Kibetious wrote:
10 Apr 2019, 01:35
Thanks for the wonderful review. It seems the book was promising until the mentioned shortcomings began pouring out of its pages. I guess there is little that can be done about this and hence the readers may resort to reading it as it is.
Thanks, Kibetious :) It definitely has promise!
You can find magic wherever you look. Sit back and relax, all you need is a book.
- Dr. Seuss

Bianka Walter

Post by Bianka Walter » 10 Apr 2019, 06:46

Dentarthurdent wrote:
10 Apr 2019, 02:18
Thanks for the great review! Too bad about the flat characters; I was already taken in by the amazing cover art.
The cover art is why I picked it - and there was promise for more at the end of the book.
I love your profile picture just as much :)
- Dr. Seuss

Janelle Juncos
Favorite Book: The Unbearable Lightness of Being
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-janelle-juncos.html
Latest Review: The Chauvinist's Guide to Modern Romance by Morris Rollins

Post by Janelle Juncos » 10 Apr 2019, 07:04

Thanks for naming the illustrator, that's one of the the things that made your review very thorough. I wonder about those voices in his head... his conscience or something more supernatural. The way you described the sex scenes gave me the creeps, so I'll probably skip this one.

Bianka Walter

Post by Bianka Walter » 10 Apr 2019, 07:26

Janelle Juncos wrote:
10 Apr 2019, 07:04
Thanks for naming the illustrator, that's one of the the things that made your review very thorough. I wonder about those voices in his head... his conscience or something more supernatural. The way you described the sex scenes gave me the creeps, so I'll probably skip this one.
Yep, it was a little creepy.
Thanks so much for commenting :)
- Dr. Seuss

kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
2019 Reading Goal: 95
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 31
2018 Reading Goal: 115
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 94
2017 Reading Goal: 100
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 94
Currently Reading: Scorched
Bookshelf Size: 266
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: Vigilatus by Brenda Heller and Jimmy Adams

Post by kandscreeley » 10 Apr 2019, 08:14

It does sound like this would make a great comic book. It does seem that sometimes authors only add sex gratuitously; there is no real reason for it, other than to sell the book. That turns me off faster than anything. Because this one needs a bit of work, I think I'll skip it. Thanks for the review, though.
“There is no friend as loyal as a book.”
― Ernest Hemingway

gen_g
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gen-g.html
Latest Review: Watch Her Shine by Deborah Henry

Post by gen_g » 10 Apr 2019, 09:45

I was so excited when I read your summary, but all hopes were dashed after I came to your conclusion. I have a serious problem with the consent issues and what seems to be toxic masculinity presented in the book – why is this so prevalent, I wonder? Sigh. I'll be giving this a hard pass, but thanks for your lovely review! (:

Crazyreader01
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crazyreader01.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley

Post by Crazyreader01 » 10 Apr 2019, 10:47

I agree that the cover is pretty amazing, but no character development is a major flaw. Think I'll avoid this one. Thanks for the honest review.

kdstrack
2019 Reading Goal: 100
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 37
2018 Reading Goal: 100
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 106
Currently Reading: Orope the white snake
Bookshelf Size: 220
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: Scary Spring: Our Polio Fright of 1955 by C.A. Hartnell

Post by kdstrack » 10 Apr 2019, 15:25

I agree with the rating you gave the book. The beautiful cover will attract many. Hopefully the author will make the needed changes so the contents match the illustrations. Great review.

Bianka Walter

Post by Bianka Walter » 11 Apr 2019, 04:07

kandscreeley wrote:
10 Apr 2019, 08:14
It does sound like this would make a great comic book. It does seem that sometimes authors only add sex gratuitously; there is no real reason for it, other than to sell the book. That turns me off faster than anything. Because this one needs a bit of work, I think I'll skip it. Thanks for the review, though.
It does need some work. I hope he does consider the comic book route :)
- Dr. Seuss

Bianka Walter

Post by Bianka Walter » 11 Apr 2019, 04:09

gen_g wrote:
10 Apr 2019, 09:45
I was so excited when I read your summary, but all hopes were dashed after I came to your conclusion. I have a serious problem with the consent issues and what seems to be toxic masculinity presented in the book – why is this so prevalent, I wonder? Sigh. I'll be giving this a hard pass, but thanks for your lovely review! (:
Ya, the consent thing was SO weird. I've actually read the piece to a few of my friends to see if I was just being a bit stuck-up. But their reactions all told me the same thing. So, yes - not a huge fan my self :)
- Dr. Seuss

Bianka Walter

Post by Bianka Walter » 11 Apr 2019, 04:31

Crazyreader01 wrote:
10 Apr 2019, 10:47
I agree that the cover is pretty amazing, but no character development is a major flaw. Think I'll avoid this one. Thanks for the honest review.
Thanks for reading my review and for commenting :)
- Dr. Seuss

Bianka Walter

Post by Bianka Walter » 11 Apr 2019, 04:32

kdstrack wrote:
10 Apr 2019, 15:25
I agree with the rating you gave the book. The beautiful cover will attract many. Hopefully the author will make the needed changes so the contents match the illustrations. Great review.
I hope he does :)
Thanks for stopping by!
- Dr. Seuss

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”