Official Review: For The Sake of A Friend

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
You must limit each topic thread in this section to only one book or only one series. Make the title of the topic the name of the book, and if possible also include the author's name. If you want to allow spoilers, you must include the word spoilers in the title of the topic, otherwise spoilers are prohibited.
Cecilia_L
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 188
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: Lynched by the Law by Anthony Parker

Official Review: For The Sake of A Friend

Post by Cecilia_L » 04 Apr 2019, 15:01

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "For The Sake of A Friend" by Clarence H Franklin.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

"How can an African-American high school kid from south Mississippi explain having a cosmic powered spaceship?" Imagine it's 1969, and you are a high school senior; now imagine there's a spaceship in your garage laboratory. Follow the adventurous journey in the sci-fi fantasy, For the Sake of a Friend, by Clarence H. Franklin.

Clarence and his close-knit group of friends secretly call themselves the Space Travelers, but after their dangerous trip last summer, their parents literally grounded them from space travel. However, when an experiment goes awry with possibly life-altering consequences for Clarence, the solution is reducite; a resource that can only be found on Pluto. Concerned for their son, Clarence's parents convince several of the other parents to allow their kids to return for a "quick trip" to Pluto. Owida, Leon, Bennie, Kate, and the newest member of the team, Roberta, join Clarence for an overnight excursion intending to be home in time for Thanksgiving dinner the following day. However, the experiment isn't the only thing that doesn't go according to plan; complications arise, and this may be the team's most dangerous expedition yet.

I rarely read sci-fi or fantasy, but after taking a peek at the Amazon sample, I was intrigued by Franklin's introduction and illustrations. The distinctive cast of characters is based on Franklin's friends from high school during the late 60s to early 70s. He described himself as a nerd who enjoyed collecting comic books and watching Star Trek. Though I'm not a "Trekkie" myself, my brothers are, and when I read that Franklin started writing and illustrating in high school, I was hooked. The action-packed story includes a diverse assortment of aliens and inventive space gadgets. Although the plot is a tad predictable, it is still engaging and amusing.

I particularly liked the colorful illustrations which reflect Franklin's love of comic books and really bring the story to life. From the groovy space uniforms to the afro hairstyles, Franklin truly captures the 60s-70s vibe. So much so, that I would have enjoyed seeing more of them; I counted 14 illustrations in the 194-page book. While the image size is on the small side--about a fourth of the page--I was able to enlarge the illustrations for a more detailed view.

I honestly can't think of anything I disliked about the book. In addition to being professionally edited, as a sci-fi that doesn't take itself too seriously, it's a fun read. Considering that I am not typically a fan of sci-fi, that's high praise. I rate the book 4 out of 4 stars. I recommend it to readers ranging from young teens to adults who enjoy sci-fi, fantasy, and comics. However, as I've demonstrated, it may also appeal to those who are not usually drawn to sci-fi but appreciate the illustrations and humor.

For The Sake of A Friend
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Cecilia_L's review? Post a comment saying so!

IamShing
2019 Reading Goal: 100
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 48
Favorite Book: Doctor Sleep
Currently Reading: The Apocalypse Wacth
Bookshelf Size: 62
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-iamshing.html
Latest Review: The Biblical Clock by Daniel Friedmann and Dania Sheldon
Reading Device: B00L89V1AA

Post by IamShing » 09 Apr 2019, 08:15

I kinda like the idea of this book..Might give it a try after my current reading material.
'Reading is essential for those who seek to rise above the ordinary.'

Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L » 09 Apr 2019, 10:30

IamShing wrote:
09 Apr 2019, 08:15
I kinda like the idea of this book..Might give it a try after my current reading material.
Thanks for your comment.

kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
2019 Reading Goal: 95
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 31
2018 Reading Goal: 115
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 94
2017 Reading Goal: 100
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 94
Currently Reading: Scorched
Bookshelf Size: 266
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: Vigilatus by Brenda Heller and Jimmy Adams

Post by kandscreeley » 09 Apr 2019, 14:53

This sounds quite interesting. So, in this 1969, is space travel normal then? Or is it just Clarence and his friends that travel? I AM a trekkie, and I do love sci. Therefore, this would be right up my alley. Thanks.
“There is no friend as loyal as a book.”
― Ernest Hemingway

Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L » 09 Apr 2019, 17:05

kandscreeley wrote:
09 Apr 2019, 14:53
This sounds quite interesting. So, in this 1969, is space travel normal then? Or is it just Clarence and his friends that travel? I AM a trekkie, and I do love sci. Therefore, this would be right up my alley. Thanks.
No, Clarence and his friends are just ahead of their time. Since you enjoy sci-fi, I'd be interested to see your thoughts compared to a novice like me. :tiphat:

kdstrack
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 37
2018 Reading Goal: 100
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 106
Currently Reading: Orope the white snake
Bookshelf Size: 220
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: Scary Spring: Our Polio Fright of 1955 by C.A. Hartnell

Post by kdstrack » 09 Apr 2019, 20:23

A sci-fi book with humor sounds very appealing. The idea of a "quick trip" to Pluto had me laughing already! This looks one looks good. Thanks for the captivating recommendation.

Janelle Juncos
Favorite Book: The Unbearable Lightness of Being
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-janelle-juncos.html
Latest Review: The Chauvinist's Guide to Modern Romance by Morris Rollins

Post by Janelle Juncos » 09 Apr 2019, 21:51

60s/70s teens that space travel sounds so fun and funky! The space suits and afros combo is a nice touch. I find that predictable plots can be a bit of a brain break. After all, the human brain loves a pattern. Why else would we watch Star Trek?

Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L » 10 Apr 2019, 15:01

kdstrack wrote:
09 Apr 2019, 20:23
A sci-fi book with humor sounds very appealing. The idea of a "quick trip" to Pluto had me laughing already! This looks one looks good. Thanks for the captivating recommendation.
You're welcome. Thanks for your comment. :tiphat:

Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L » 10 Apr 2019, 15:02

Janelle Juncos wrote:
09 Apr 2019, 21:51
60s/70s teens that space travel sounds so fun and funky! The space suits and afros combo is a nice touch. I find that predictable plots can be a bit of a brain break. After all, the human brain loves a pattern. Why else would we watch Star Trek?
True! Thanks for sharing, Janelle.

Cshemper
Currently Reading: Man Mission
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cshemper.html
Latest Review: Betrayal in Blue by Mark M. Bello

Post by Cshemper » 10 Apr 2019, 16:13

Great review! I’m not into this type of book, but it does sound intriguing. Especially being that I am from Mississippi.

8amaseter
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 6

Post by 8amaseter » 11 Apr 2019, 12:16

I like sci-fi movies, when I read this type of book as reviewed; I imangine watching it. Great work.

Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L » 13 Apr 2019, 16:34

Cshemper wrote:
10 Apr 2019, 16:13
Great review! I’m not into this type of book, but it does sound intriguing. Especially being that I am from Mississippi.
Thanks for your comment. :tiphat:

Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L » 13 Apr 2019, 16:35

8amaseter wrote:
11 Apr 2019, 12:16
I like sci-fi movies, when I read this type of book as reviewed; I imangine watching it. Great work.
Thank you.

Mbrooks2518
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 30
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 220
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mbrooks2518.html
Latest Review: The Blue Sea Monster by Norma Fleagane, James Fleagane, Blake James Ward

Post by Mbrooks2518 » 18 Apr 2019, 11:29

Although science fiction is not my preferred genre, this sounds like a fun book, so I might give it a try. Great review!

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”