Official Review: Entropy Angels by Mark Harritt

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
You must limit each topic thread in this section to only one book or only one series. Make the title of the topic the name of the book, and if possible also include the author's name. If you want to allow spoilers, you must include the word spoilers in the title of the topic, otherwise spoilers are prohibited.
ViziVoir
2019 Reading Goal: 20
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 90
2018 Reading Goal: 20
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 300
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 84
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vizivoir.html
Latest Review: The Brooch by Renee Bramlet

Official Review: Entropy Angels by Mark Harritt

Post by ViziVoir » 19 Mar 2019, 17:05

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Entropy Angels" by Mark Harritt.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Entropy Angels by Mark Harritt is an action-focused science fiction novel following Gregor Skotta, a very skilled contract hacker. He works in the largest habitat in the solar system, New Eden. It's a capitalist environment rife with androids, genetic modification, and millions of people all looking out for themselves and their next payday, but it's also the only home he's ever known. After a routine job goes horribly wrong, Skotta stumbles upon a plot that threatens to destroy New Eden and the lives of everyone in it.

As a setting, New Eden is fascinating. Skotta uses sci-fi tools, like enhanced combat reflexes and advanced combat armor, alongside modern-day technology like cell phones, wifi, and pistols. These elements exist in an odd sort of balance, creating an anachronistic setting that's really quite unique. There are also lots of interesting details about the habitat itself, like the plankton/krill farm that produces protein and oxygen for everyone living in New Eden, or the Guild composed of engineers serving as a de facto government. All told, it's a rich backdrop that produces unique plot points and conflicts.

The pacing of this book is also very well-executed. It's extremely light on the character development and moral examination that science fiction often attempts to tackle, leaving a lot of room for self-indulgent fight scenes that use the unique setting to great effect. The hopeless situations Skotta gets himself out of all have satisfying resolutions that often get him into even more trouble, and his peril always seems real and high-stakes. In one instance, he purposefully gets himself into trouble with the Guild to avoid bounty hunters trying to kill him. Overall, this focus on action makes for a very fun and tense read.

Of course, this book is still far from perfect. Skotta himself is a typical action protagonist who ogles nearly every woman he meets, and they all happen to be stunningly attractive. This goes against the fact that New Eden is a harsh environment, to say nothing of the trend of modifying one's body to emulate animals. I would've loved to see these stereotypical elements done away with. Skotta is also a bit unlikeable due to the hypocrisy of deriding "wage slaves" for trying to forget their existences with prostitutes and virtual reality, despite enjoying prostitutes himself. At one point, Skotta even needs to use a timed electric shock to avoid becoming trapped in the thrall of virtual reality. There are a few distracting misspellings and miscellaneous grammatical errors, too.

If I could, I would rate it 3.5 stars. Despite its flaws, I had a great deal of fun reading Entropy Angels, so I rate it 4 out of 4 stars. An extremely unique and detailed setting and well-executed action scenes make this book a great choice for readers who love action-packed science fiction. Fans of high-concept novels might be disappointed by the lack of character development and moral questions, and sexual content makes it unsuitable for younger audiences.

Entropy Angels
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like ViziVoir's review? Post a comment saying so!

chiefsimplex
2019 Reading Goal: 80
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 13
Currently Reading: A Second, Less Capable Head
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chiefsimplex.html
Latest Review: The Turn by Matthew Tysz

Post by chiefsimplex » 21 Mar 2019, 04:16

I like the uneasy marriage between imagination and real-life technology, it is good food to an adventure seeking mind.Its a sad thing that poor editing had to compromise the quality of this otherwise great novel.Thanks for sharing.
“So many books, so little time.”
― Frank Zappa

kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
2019 Reading Goal: 95
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 31
2018 Reading Goal: 115
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 94
2017 Reading Goal: 100
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 94
Currently Reading: Scorched
Bookshelf Size: 266
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: Vigilatus by Brenda Heller and Jimmy Adams

Post by kandscreeley » 21 Mar 2019, 08:04

It irks me the way women are characterized sometimes, as seems to be the case here. Nevertheless, New Eden sounds quite interesting, and I love an action-packed science fiction like this. I guess I'll have to try it. Thanks!
“There is no friend as loyal as a book.”
― Ernest Hemingway

IamShing
2019 Reading Goal: 100
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 48
Favorite Book: Doctor Sleep
Currently Reading: The Apocalypse Wacth
Bookshelf Size: 62
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-iamshing.html
Latest Review: The Biblical Clock by Daniel Friedmann and Dania Sheldon
Reading Device: B00L89V1AA

Post by IamShing » 21 Mar 2019, 08:23

Getting one of these..the genre is one of my favorite.😊😊😊
'Reading is essential for those who seek to rise above the ordinary.'

spencermack
2019 Reading Goal: 24
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 50
Favorite Book: A Loaf Of Bread
Currently Reading: Pretties
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-spencermack.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley

Post by spencermack » 21 Mar 2019, 11:37

Extremely excited t pick up this book. Science Fiction adventure is right up my alley!
Spencer Mack

Jessacardinal
2019 Reading Goal: 40
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 25
2018 Reading Goal: 40
Currently Reading: The Lost Identity Casualties
Bookshelf Size: 83
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jessacardinal.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami

Post by Jessacardinal » 21 Mar 2019, 12:03

I enjoy books that don't spend too much time describing characters and scenery, so I think I would appreciate that part of this book. The fact that Skotta enjoys prostitutes quickly changes my mind about reading the book though. I can't help but think about the timed electrical shock that is meant to help snap Skotta out of virtual reality mode and how it could easily apply to the real world with smartphones.
"Let's be reasonable and add an eighth day to the week that is devoted exclusively to reading." - Lena Dunham

crsz10
Favorite Book: The prince of tides
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crsz10.html
Latest Review: The Different Kinds Of Monsters by Seth Chambers

Post by crsz10 » 21 Mar 2019, 14:33

Although I value character development, I sometimes find the lack of it to be relieving in some way. This way, there's less chance of ruining the pace for the action. As a reader that enjoys Science Fiction, I'll consider checking this one out.

Crazyreader01
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crazyreader01.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley

Post by Crazyreader01 » 21 Mar 2019, 16:03

:tiphat: This sounds great! I wouldn't be at all surprised if it made a blockbuster movie one day. It'd be interesting to see the different technological aspects on the big screen.
Thanks for the review! :tiphat:

crsz10
Favorite Book: The prince of tides
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crsz10.html
Latest Review: The Different Kinds Of Monsters by Seth Chambers

Post by crsz10 » 21 Mar 2019, 23:11

Although I value character development, I sometimes find the lack of it to be relieving in some way. This way, there's less chance of ruining the pace for the action. As a reader that enjoys Science Fiction, I'll consider checking this one out. :tiphat: :techie-studyingbrown:

IamShing
2019 Reading Goal: 100
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 48
Favorite Book: Doctor Sleep
Currently Reading: The Apocalypse Wacth
Bookshelf Size: 62
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-iamshing.html
Latest Review: The Biblical Clock by Daniel Friedmann and Dania Sheldon
Reading Device: B00L89V1AA

Post by IamShing » 22 Mar 2019, 09:57

I appreciate the storyline and unique idea but I am not a fan of sci-fi
'Reading is essential for those who seek to rise above the ordinary.'

Nyambura Githui
2018 Reading Goal: 7
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 128
2017 Reading Goal: 0
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nyambura-githui.html
Latest Review: MY FRIEND Marilyn by Christopher Lentz

Post by Nyambura Githui » 24 Mar 2019, 15:05

The book sounds exciting, I'll add it to my list. Good review.

Juliana_Isabella
Currently Reading: Democracy in America
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-juliana-isabella.html
Latest Review: I Can See Peace by Julie Penshorn

Post by Juliana_Isabella » 27 Mar 2019, 16:30

From your review, it sounds like this story might make a better movie than book. Elements like fight scenes, less developed characters, and immersive worlds tend to work well on the big screen even though they fall short in novels.

yeancha
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yeancha.html
Latest Review: The Chauvinist's Guide to Modern Romance by Morris Rollins

Post by yeancha » 28 Mar 2019, 07:42

you did a good job with the review, but sadly I'm not a fan of sci fi. Not checking it out

Gypsy-soul
Currently Reading: The Mindset
Bookshelf Size: 4

Post by Gypsy-soul » 29 Mar 2019, 11:37

This is one of the best reviews I have read so far. I like the variety of vocabulary you use and how you explained the setting of the book.
I'm not sure if I would enjoy reading this but i do like thrillers and sci-fi. I dont know if the sexual content would kill it for me, but I may give it a try.

Summer_Moon
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-summer-moon.html
Latest Review: Gringo by Dan "Tito" Davis
Reading Device: 1400697565

Post by Summer_Moon » 31 Mar 2019, 10:23

Now this sounds like the type of book that I would enjoy. Especially with what you mention of the pacing and the setting. Sounds like it is well written. I might have to add this to my to read bookshelf. Thanks for the great review!

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”