Review by nbel -- End of the Last Great Kingdom

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
nbel
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nbel.html
Latest Review: End of the Last Great Kingdom by Victor Rose

Review by nbel -- End of the Last Great Kingdom

Post by nbel »

[Following is a volunteer review of "End of the Last Great Kingdom" by Victor Rose.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

End of the Last Great Kingdom by Victor Rose had me captivated from the first chapter. The novel begins in a place called Sulphurium. The world of Sulphurium is inhabited by humans, orcs, goblins, giants, dwarves, demons, elves, and the Enlightens. The Enlightens have the ability to control one or more elements, including air, fire, and water. The group has been revered during Sulphurium’s history, which was detailed at the beginning of the book.

The story focuses on three young friends, Enlightens, who need to pass the test to become Mages with magical powers. Heat controls fire, Neutron controls water, and Brimstone has the unusual power of blocking others’ magic. During a practice battle in the school’s arena, a water demon attacked the students. The attack injured and killed several students. Sulphurium’s ruling body, the Order, accused Brimstone of purposely releasing the demon. Brimstone was sent to an isolated prison without a trial, causing Heat and Neutron to begin a quest to free Brimstone and clear his name.

Brimstone’s jailer was forced to spend the winter in his home village until the roads to the prison were clear again. Using the opportunity, Brimstone escaped from the prison. He was on the run for most of the book. The Order started spreading propaganda and making Brimstone seem a blood-thirsty killer.

The fantasy followed the life of Brimstone and his friends as they suffer through pain and battles that Order brought upon them. There are numerous brutal and gruesome battles. I would not recommend this book for young teens due to the disturbing narratives. I do recommend the book to people that like action-packed fantasies. The book was expertly edited and I did not notice any typos or grammatical errors.

I liked every aspect of the End of the Last Great Kingdom. It kept me wondering if Brimstone and his friends will be able to save the world they live in that is near destruction due to the actions of the Order. I enjoyed watching the characters grow on their journey.

Victor Rose created all the characters with many exciting and unique details. His descriptive writing made reading the book a very delightful experience. The plot is consistent and the action is almost non-stop. Each location is painted with great detail and imagery. I enjoyed reading this book very much and rate it 4 out of 4. It was one of the best fantasy books I have ever read. I think that every person who enjoys fantasy books should read this book.

End of the Last Great Kingdom
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like nbel's review? Post a comment saying so!
Crazyreader01
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crazyreader01.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley

Post by Crazyreader01 »

This sounds like a compelling read of bravery, magic and friendship. I'll be sure to look into it. Thanks for the review!
Delaney35
Currently Reading: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress
Bookshelf Size: 131
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-delaney35.html
Latest Review: Lingering Poets by Logan Lamech

Post by Delaney35 »

I'm currently reading this one and wonder how it will end! Great review.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”