Review by EmilyWashburn -- Superhighway by Alex Fayman

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
EmilyWashburn
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emilywashburn.html
Latest Review: Superhighway by Alex Fayman

Review by EmilyWashburn -- Superhighway by Alex Fayman

Post by EmilyWashburn »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Superhighway" by Alex Fayman.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Superhighway by Alex Fayman follows the journey of teenager, Alex Fine, after he discovers that he can travel through electrical currents by grasping the network cable of any computer. The novel traces his journey of trying to decide how to wield this power and discovering his own mysterious past. The first half of the book is filled with nice cars, gorgeous women, alcohol, and weed. The plot only takes off in the second half when Alex runs into something surprising within the network that is going to be the key to his past.

I rate this book 2 out of 4 stars. This rating is because the novel did not really show its merit until about 60% of the way through, and the first 40% was almost painful to get through. This novel would likely be more enjoyable to a younger audience due to the simplicity of the writing. Alex Fine, and 18 year old self-made billionaire, is likely also more relatable to those closer to his age group. Those who are well-read and more aware of how a novel is crafted may not enjoy it as much.

What I like most is the concept of this book. The idea of it is very unique and exciting, and the novel manages to live up to that in the second half of the novel. I disliked the slow start. The front part of the novel felt more like a teenage fantasy.

The editing seems mostly professional, with only a couple homophone errors. When it comes to the writing style it is a bit simplistic, just barely outside of amateurish. Fayman does not seem familiar with the old adage: show, don’t tell. The novel is written in first person and includes the phrases “I saw,” “I heard,” “I felt” near constantly. This makes character development shallow as everything is filtered through Alex Fine’s perception, and he isn’t necessarily the most reliable narrator.

The second half of the novel, things begin happening very quickly. While grateful for this, the sudden character development didn’t feel earned. This novel could have done well if the main character showed hesitation or some weakness when discovering his power, rather than having confidence throughout the novel. Alex Fine didn’t show any weakness or character flaws until the last two chapter of the book, making him not very relatable. There was nothing for the reader to root for. This compromised the attachment the author should want the reader to have to the main character of the story when the character is put through dangerous situations.

Superhighway
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on Smashwords

Like EmilyWashburn's review? Post a comment saying so!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”