Official Review: Anhedonia by Quentin Henry II

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
You must limit each topic thread in this section to only one book or only one series. Make the title of the topic the name of the book, and if possible also include the author's name. If you want to allow spoilers, you must include the word spoilers in the title of the topic, otherwise spoilers are prohibited.
desantismt_17
2019 Reading Goal: 25
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 40
2018 Reading Goal: 25
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 176
Currently Reading: When Angels Play Poker
Bookshelf Size: 1287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-desantismt-17.html
Latest Review: Trudy Hicks: Ghost Hunter by Lori Zaremba

Official Review: Anhedonia by Quentin Henry II

Post by desantismt_17 » 07 Mar 2019, 12:50

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Anhedonia" by Quentin Henry II.]
Book Cover
1 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Set in the aftermath of an apocalypse that killed anyone over the age of nineteen, Anhedonia by Quentin Henry II follows siblings Dorrian and Kamara as they struggle to survive in a world overrun by monsters. When Dorrian stumbles across a rare building that is still mostly intact, he can’t pass up the opportunity to see what resources are inside. He texts a picture of the place to Kamara to let her know where he is, and Kamara sees a nest of behemoths on the roof that Dorrian somehow missed. What else might Dorrian find inside, and can Kamara get to her brother in time to help?

I really wanted to like this book. I enjoy a good dystopian story, and this one also had various types of magic, including elemental powers. The description promised an interesting world and lots of action. In short, it was packed with a lot of things I love. Unfortunately, the book just didn’t deliver on most of the description’s promises. The dystopian setting is there, along with magic, but the story itself fell flat for me.

The book opens with Dorrian sitting on a rooftop and scoping out the rare intact building. Immediately, I wondered, if intact buildings are so rare, why is there an easily available rooftop within line of sight to the new structure? This was the first in a long line of questions that I never got answers for. While Dorrian’s watching the building, he falls into memories of his childhood, which take over for almost the rest of chapter one. I found myself bogged down in details of his life before The Fall (the apocalyptic event) and desperately wanting to get back to the main story. When things finally come back to Dorrian’s present, he snaps a picture and texts it to Kamara with his cell phone that is somehow working in this post-apocalyptic world with limited power and no mention of cell towers. At some point, there was a brief explanation for how Dorrian and Kamara’s phones were able to work, but I couldn’t figure out the logic behind it for the life of me.

Cut to chapter two, where we meet Kamara. After her own nearly chapter-long reflection on her past, Kamara receives Dorrian’s texted picture and sees the behemoth nest on the building’s roof. Up until this point, Dorrian is described as a legendary hero of sorts. He trained in both physical and magical combat with his parents, and since The Fall, he’s accomplished battle feats it would take ten regular fighters to do. So how, if he’s so amazing, did he not see the giant nest of creatures on the rooftop he spent so long staring at? It was at this point that I started to question everything I was reading.

I would love to say my confusion stopped with the characters, but I can’t. The magic in this world also tripped me up a lot. The basic use of magic was mostly clear. For example, water power was more effective in the rain. Makes sense. I wish the rest had been so simple. While traversing the intact building, Dorrian stumbles across a cat. He can’t understand why the cat’s mystic powers aren’t working, which made me wonder what mystic powers cats possessed. When he realizes the cat is pregnant, all becomes clear. Apparently, pregnancy interrupts the mystical abilities of cats. I have no idea why. I also have no idea what these mystical abilities are.

There is an array of creatures in this post-apocalyptic world. Among these are behemoths, giant creatures with four legs that can fly and wield magic, and fiends, nocturnal demon-like things that make going out at night perilous at best. The creatures and spells in this book were referred to in terms of levels, such as a “high levelled threat.” This made me feel like I was in a video game or Dungeons and Dragons handbook. Add in the lack of logic and wandering storyline, and I was just confused from start to finish.

The book was short—less than 50 pages. Due to the vast amount of grammatical and spelling mistakes, however, it took me a long time to get through the entire thing. For the poor editing, lack of cohesive story, and confusion, I rate Anhedonia 1 out of 4 stars. I briefly considered giving it 2 for a good concept, but the negatives ended up outweighing that one positive too much. I really don’t recommend this book in its current form. If you are a fan of flashy fight sequences or stories that read like video games, you might enjoy this. There is a tiny bit of strong language, and the fight scenes aren’t really graphic. So, this is suitable for older teens and adults, but unless something in here really strikes your fancy, I’d say skip this one.

Anhedonia
View: on Bookshelves

Like desantismt_17's review? Post a comment saying so!
You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
2019 Reading Goal: 95
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 26
2018 Reading Goal: 115
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 94
2017 Reading Goal: 100
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 94
Currently Reading: Scorched
Bookshelf Size: 261
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Channeler by William H Kline IV

Post by kandscreeley » 12 Mar 2019, 07:44

Wow! This one seems like it just creates more questions than it answers. I'm not sure the author had a clear view in his or her mind of the world they were creating; therefore, they couldn't really pass it on to the readers. I'm sorry this was such a bad experience for you. I'm definitely going to be skipping it, though I, too, love a dystopian world.
“There is no friend as loyal as a book.”
― Ernest Hemingway

danielleamy
2019 Reading Goal: 50
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 36
Favorite Book: The Handmaid's Tale
Currently Reading: The Book of Life
Bookshelf Size: 59
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-danielleamy.html
Latest Review: The Watchmaker’s Doctor by G. M. T. Schuilling
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by danielleamy » 12 Mar 2019, 19:08

Initially, I expected this book to be related to psychology due to the title. After reading that it was a dystopian/post-apocalypse novel, I was pleasantly surprised. However, it seems there are plot holes and it could do with more editing. Maybe if this book is revised I'll give it a go. Great review!
All the reading she had done had given her a view of life that they had never seen - Matilda, Roald Dahl

hedwigwhite
2019 Reading Goal: 30
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 13
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hedwigwhite.html
Latest Review: Gringo by Dan "Tito" Davis

Post by hedwigwhite » 14 Mar 2019, 08:11

There's just way too many questions. Just from reading your first paragraph, I was already wondering why phones still worked in an apocalyptic world. Gonna have to skip this one too. Thanks for the review!

Crazyreader01
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crazyreader01.html
Latest Review: 30th Century: Escape (General Audience Edition) by Mark Kingston Levin PhD

Post by Crazyreader01 » 17 Mar 2019, 16:31

A world where the oldest people are only 19? Sounds fun, but also dangerous. Based on your review, I don't think the author really knew what they were doing. Thanks for the review.

Sandra K Pearson
2019 Reading Goal: 50
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 8
Currently Reading: Obsidian Son
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sandra-k-pearson.html
Latest Review: The Unbound Soul by Richard L. Haight

Post by Sandra K Pearson » 20 Mar 2019, 12:58

Thats disappointing, the cover made it look so interesting. Its frustrating when there are more questions than answers. Nice review.
" Dogs do speak, but only to those who know how to listen. "

-Orhan Pamuk

AKShanmar12
Currently Reading: Twinkle twinkle little starr
Bookshelf Size: 9
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-akshanmar12.html
Latest Review: Gringo by Dan "Tito" Davis

Post by AKShanmar12 » 22 Mar 2019, 14:41

I too was wondering, just reading your review, how the cell phones worked. Sounds like a fun story after some revising, editing, beta readers, and more editing!

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”