Official Review: Mineran Influence by P.N. Burrows

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
You must limit each topic thread in this section to only one book or only one series. Make the title of the topic the name of the book, and if possible also include the author's name. If you want to allow spoilers, you must include the word spoilers in the title of the topic, otherwise spoilers are prohibited.
Momlovesbooks
Previous Member of the Month
2017 Reading Goal: 50
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 70
Currently Reading: A Book for Oreo
Bookshelf Size: 236
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-momlovesbooks.html
Latest Review: Mineran Influence by P.N. Burrows

Official Review: Mineran Influence by P.N. Burrows

Post by Momlovesbooks » 06 Mar 2019, 10:51

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Mineran Influence" by P.N. Burrows.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Mineran Influence is the first book in a five-book science fiction/fantasy series. The author, P. N. Burrows, was born in England and raised in Wales, which is the setting for this story.

Sam Shepard is an ex-soldier who is trying to find his place in this world after twenty years of service to his country. He recently attended a friend’s wedding in North Wales. He used the time there to trek the countryside and think about his future plans.

While attempting to hike Minera Mountain in rural Wales, Sam thinks he has stumbled upon criminal activity. After a series of events that draw upon Sam’s skills in stealth, surveillance and combat, he discovers the criminal element he has been searching for is instead a technologically superior race of aliens, known as Minerans. They came to Earth through secret portals and have been guarding this planet for centuries. They call on Sam to join their ranks as a human liaison and aid them in protecting Earth. The things he learned from the Minerans will change his life forever.

The author has written a gripping adventure with believable alien forces. However, the first few pages of the book seemed to have too much explanation and details of things we really didn’t need to know to follow the story. It took me a few pages to really get into the flow of things. On the other hand, it did show that the author thoroughly researched his material.

This novel shows great imagination and made me really think about things I don’t normally dwell on in sci-fi stories. For example, how many times have aliens potentially protected our planet? If “good” aliens exist, there must be “bad” ones, also. Are they constantly having battles between good and evil?

Sam Shepard, the main character, is well described. I was quickly drawn to his personality and the mysterious events he was pulled into. The alien characters were interesting and had unique, racial features. The contrast, yet similarity, between them and Sam was cleverly portrayed. The dialogue between the characters was descriptive and kept me engaged. Many things in this story were unexpected and kept me on my toes.

The book appeared to be edited, although I found several grammatical mistakes. A more thorough editing would be beneficial. All in all, it didn’t detract from my enjoyment of the story. Based on the previous observations, I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars.

I believe any sci-fi/fantasy fan will enjoy this novel. Mr. Burrows has caught my interest and I can’t wait to read the next book in this series.

Mineran Influence
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Momlovesbooks's review? Post a comment saying so!

SunVixen
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 68
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sunvixen.html
Latest Review: Randy Love...at your service by Shay Carter

Post by SunVixen » 09 Mar 2019, 12:03

It sounds like an interesting blending between a mystery crime story and a typical sci-fi fiction. Thanks for your review!

lizette
Currently Reading: The Mask of Perpetuity
Bookshelf Size: 33

Post by lizette » 09 Mar 2019, 13:31

Latest Review: Minerian Influence by P N Burrows

Good review. A book of a man's life that took a total different direction, than he could have ever imagined.

Dentarthurdent
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dentarthurdent.html

Post by Dentarthurdent » 09 Mar 2019, 14:13

Momlovesbooks wrote:
06 Mar 2019, 10:51
For example, how many times have aliens potentially protected our planet?
Much more often than not, sci-fi books portray all aliens as evil, world-dominating fiends after the Earth's numerous resources, and I quite like this unique aspect; where aliens are actually the good guys. Thanks a lot for your review, I think I'll give this one a shot!
"I say what it occurs to me to say when I think I hear people say things. More I cannot say"
--Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.

SunVixen
Currently Reading:

Post by SunVixen » 09 Mar 2019, 17:18

Dentarthurdent wrote:
09 Mar 2019, 14:13
Momlovesbooks wrote:
Much more often than not, sci-fi books portray all aliens as evil, world-dominating fiends after the Earth's numerous resources, and I quite like this unique aspect; where aliens are actually the good guys.
Indeed, why do sci-fi books always present aliens as evil monsters? This is strange and somehow unfair.

hedwigwhite
2019 Reading Goal: 30
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 13
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hedwigwhite.html
Latest Review: Gringo by Dan "Tito" Davis

Post by hedwigwhite » 09 Mar 2019, 22:07

SunVixen wrote:
09 Mar 2019, 17:18
Dentarthurdent wrote:
09 Mar 2019, 14:13
Momlovesbooks wrote:
Much more often than not, sci-fi books portray all aliens as evil, world-dominating fiends after the Earth's numerous resources, and I quite like this unique aspect; where aliens are actually the good guys.
Indeed, why do sci-fi books always present aliens as evil monsters? This is strange and somehow unfair.
It's probably easier to bring in conflict in the form of an "unknown entity". Readers do seem to enjoy the "human vs aliens" type of stories. I'm excited to find out more about these good aliens. Since this is the first book in a five-book series, I wonder if there will be "bad" aliens introduced in the later series. Thanks for the review! Definitely going to read this. :D

Dentarthurdent
Currently Reading:

Post by Dentarthurdent » 10 Mar 2019, 01:56

hedwigwhite wrote:
09 Mar 2019, 22:07

It's probably easier to bring in conflict in the form of an "unknown entity". Readers do seem to enjoy the "human vs aliens" type of stories. I'm excited to find out more about these good aliens. Since this is the first book in a five-book series, I wonder if there will be "bad" aliens introduced in the later series. Thanks for the review! Definitely going to read this. :D
I agree. I suppose clichés exist because they are popular. I imagine the Minerans have to protect the earth from some of these 'evil' aliens. The only true way of knowing the details is by reading the book.
"I say what it occurs to me to say when I think I hear people say things. More I cannot say"

SunVixen
Currently Reading:

Post by SunVixen » 10 Mar 2019, 11:16

Dentarthurdent wrote:
10 Mar 2019, 01:56
hedwigwhite wrote:
09 Mar 2019, 22:07

I agree. I suppose clichés exist because they are popular. I imagine the Minerans have to protect the earth from some of these 'evil' aliens. The only true way of knowing the details is by reading the book.
Of course, clichés can exist because they are popular. However, it may be part of a very old tradition that Herbert Wells began with his bloodsucking Martians. Writers and readers are so used to this cliché that it’s hard for them to imagine anything else.

The emergence of new "bad" aliens in the next books is quite possible. It’s hard to imagine a good story without some conflicts.

Dentarthurdent
Currently Reading:

Post by Dentarthurdent » 10 Mar 2019, 15:30

SunVixen wrote:
10 Mar 2019, 11:16
Of course, clichés can exist because they are popular. However, it may be part of a very old tradition that Herbert Wells began with his bloodsucking Martians. Writers and readers are so used to this cliché that it’s hard for them to imagine anything else.

The emergence of new "bad" aliens in the next books is quite possible. It’s hard to imagine a good story without some conflicts.
That's very true. In any case, I'll read this one and see. Thanks again for the great review.

DogoMulla
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dogomulla.html
Latest Review: The Warramunga's War by Greg Kater

Post by DogoMulla » 10 Mar 2019, 17:21

Do aliens exist? If they do, why would an ex-soldier be so interested in them? The answer to these two and the fact that it's unpredictable makes this a possible read. Kudos on the good review.

shereads shereads
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by shereads shereads » 10 Mar 2019, 21:14

Sounds like the author has a great imagination and descriptive skills! I will put this on my list.

Shielasshi_93
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shielasshi-93.html
Latest Review: The Chauvinist's Guide to Modern Romance by Morris Rollins

Post by Shielasshi_93 » 11 Mar 2019, 08:13

I don't really believe in aliens so I'm not really into this book, however I feel like Sam's adventures are intriguing.

kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
2019 Reading Goal: 95
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 26
2018 Reading Goal: 115
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 94
2017 Reading Goal: 100
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 94
Currently Reading: Scorched
Bookshelf Size: 261
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Channeler by William H Kline IV

Post by kandscreeley » 11 Mar 2019, 10:09

I do enjoy a good science fiction story, and this sounds like it fits the bill. It's hard as far as the description goes when you are creating a whole new race or world. The most difficult thing is fitting that into the story without overwhelming the reader with details. Still, I think I want to try this. Thanks.
“There is no friend as loyal as a book.”
― Ernest Hemingway

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”