Official Review: Lily's Awakening by Omni Delano

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Bianka Walter
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: The Old Man and the Sea
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 368
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bianka-walter.html
Latest Review: Thir13en by Keegan Nielsen
Reading Device: B06XD5YCKX

Official Review: Lily's Awakening by Omni Delano

Post by Bianka Walter »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Lily's Awakening" by Omni Delano.]
Book Cover
1 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Lily’s Awakening is the first book in the Elemental Guardian series by Omni Delano. Lily lives a seemingly normal life in her little village on the mountain. Her mother and father are healers, while Lily and her brother, Luke, do what they can to help. Lily knows nothing about the mysterious guardian of the mountain, Rain, who is tasked with protecting her. One day, danger comes to the mountain in search of Lily, and her family is attacked. Rain steps in to help them, but he is too late to save Lily’s mom. Luke, Lily, and their dad find themselves in need of a refuge, so Rain agrees to take them to his home in the realm of the Eavald.

When starting to train with the Eavald, Lily discovers she is more than normal. She soon learns that she has latent magical abilities that can be harnessed. Her brother and Rain go back to fight the men and monsters who threaten Lily’s life. When they return, they must tell Lily the truth about why she is being hunted. Lily is the only one who can end the violence and hostilities, so she sets out on a quest to heal the world.

This is a multi-faceted story which has so many intricacies. However, I wish the author had taken the time to enhance the narrative. This story was a sprint when it should have been a marathon. Every piece of important information was rushed in order to get the story told. The characters, the world, and the relationships between the cast were left behind in her haste to get to the finish.

I still don’t really know much about our main characters. I know a few basic physical characteristics of Lily and Rain. I know Luke is younger than Lily. Apart from that, the other characters' names are all I know about them. The characters start with no backstories, and they achieve no growth throughout the book. It was jolting to have Lily and Rain declare their love for each other without having had a single conversation. In the beginning, the younger version of Lily (we don’t know her age) distrusts Rain and doesn’t tolerate him. There is no connection between the two. Rain leaves for eight cycles — which I assume to be much like years — and returns to tell Lily how she is all he has thought about. It was unrealistic.

That was not all that was unrealistic. In one of the first scenes, Lily, Luke, their dad and Rain were setting up camp on their way to Rain’s home. They managed to make a shelter for everyone, catch a deer, and find fruit, berries and potatoes. They then somehow managed to make a spit to put the deer onto. This spit was able to be turned by a young Lily. I’m not sure the author is aware of how heavy a deer is, or how long a spit roast like that would take to cook. Without any explanation, this was virtually impossible. But with an explanation of the circumstances – this could have worked. Maybe they were in a jungle with an overpopulation of edible foliage. Maybe the deer were pygmy deer. Maybe Lily had super strength. This is how I felt through the entire book. I just wanted some perspective.

Things happen in this book because it is the way that the story is headed - not for any other logical reason. The Eavald, as a race, are not explained at all. I discovered about halfway through the book that each of them has a unique power. This would have been so much fun to read about! This was one of the many things I found absent as a result of the lack of depth and description in this story. Another was that there is no concept of the world in which the story takes place. There is so much potential for a truly fantastic world in this book.

The most bizarre part was the random and exceptionally explicit sex scenes. They were so out of place in this narrative. They were also completely unnecessary. I have no problem with sex in a book, but only when it serves a purpose. The sex scenes were thrown into the storyline for absolutely no reason. They just popped up out of nowhere. This book reads like a young adult novel, until it abruptly becomes erotica. It was jarring.

The one redeeming quality is that the story itself has a lot to offer. There is definitely a future for this series, but only once this story gets the development it deserves. The editing was good; I found errors, but nothing that detracted from the book. As it stands, I can’t see myself recommending this book to anyone. It’s because of this that I come to a rating of 1 out of 4 stars. There is a lot of work to be done. This reads as an outline of a book - the idea before the first draft. It needs depth, and with this storyline, I hope the author achieves it.

Lily's Awakening
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Bianka Walter's review? Post a comment saying so!
You can find magic wherever you look. Sit back and relax, all you need is a book.
- Dr. Seuss
Manang Muyang
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 686
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Manang Muyang »

Based on your review, I have an idea about Lily's awakening.

Usually, a series has a lot of backstory for the characters, especially in the first book. It looks like this author has other ideas that don't seem to work. I hope this review will awaken him/her.

Thanks for your thorough review, Bianka!
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 436
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: No Rushing when Brushing by Humairah Shah

Post by Cecilia_L »

With the rushed timing and unrealistic elements of the plot, it sounds like this was a challenging read. Great job on completing a thorough review despite the flaws.
kfwilson6
Currently Reading: Lord of Chaos
Bookshelf Size: 298
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kfwilson6.html
Latest Review: The Stone Wall Crossing by Alice Schellhorn Magrane
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by kfwilson6 »

I love learning about magical powers in a book. I too would feel compelled to learn more about the Eavald race. Awesome review. The 1 star reviews can be rough to write, but you did great.
Bianka Walter
Currently Reading:

Post by Bianka Walter »

Miriam Molina wrote: 18 Jul 2018, 20:46 Based on your review, I have an idea about Lily's awakening.

Usually, a series has a lot of backstory for the characters, especially in the first book. It looks like this author has other ideas that don't seem to work. I hope this review will awaken him/her.

Thanks for your thorough review, Bianka!
Thanks Miriam :)
Ya, with this story to be developed, it would go from 136 pages to 500 in a heartbeat. But I hope she does it!
You can find magic wherever you look. Sit back and relax, all you need is a book.
- Dr. Seuss
Bianka Walter
Currently Reading:

Post by Bianka Walter »

Cecilia_L wrote: 18 Jul 2018, 21:37 With the rushed timing and unrealistic elements of the plot, it sounds like this was a challenging read. Great job on completing a thorough review despite the flaws.
Thanks so much - it was such a quick book, the challenge was over super fast :)
- Dr. Seuss
Bianka Walter
Currently Reading:

Post by Bianka Walter »

kfwilson6 wrote: 18 Jul 2018, 22:00 I love learning about magical powers in a book. I too would feel compelled to learn more about the Eavald race. Awesome review. The 1 star reviews can be rough to write, but you did great.
I felt so cheated that she didn't tell us more about their cool abilities.
Thanks so much - you are the best :)
- Dr. Seuss
AmySmiles
Favorite Author: Dana Peters
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 149
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amysmiles.html
Latest Review: Sex Education for Adults Secrets to Amazing Sex and Happily Ever After Too by John Wilder
fav_author_id: 154082

Post by AmySmiles »

Sounds like the author has the story in their head instead of in the actual book. Such a short book too, so it could have easily included more details. Hopefully the author takes your advice and expands it. I'd love to read a book like this if it were finished as such. Thanks for the great review!
Anyone who says they have only one life to live must not know how to read a book.
–Author Unknown
Bonnie Shelby
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bonnie-shelby.html
Latest Review: Apollo's Raven by Linnea Tanner
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Bonnie Shelby »

You had me laughing when you said, "It was jolting to have Lily and Rain declare their love for each other without having had a single conversation." How ridiculous! It's too bad the author didn't take the time to develop the characters, add backstories, and explain the unrealistic situations. Thank you for the fantastic review, though :)
Bianka Walter
Currently Reading:

Post by Bianka Walter »

AmySmiles wrote: 19 Jul 2018, 09:25 Sounds like the author has the story in their head instead of in the actual book. Such a short book too, so it could have easily included more details. Hopefully the author takes your advice and expands it. I'd love to read a book like this if it were finished as such. Thanks for the great review!
That's exactly it - she knows where it's heading and how it should be, but isn't explaining it well.
Thanks so much for reading :)
- Dr. Seuss
Bianka Walter
Currently Reading:

Post by Bianka Walter »

Bonnie Shelby wrote: 19 Jul 2018, 10:52 You had me laughing when you said, "It was jolting to have Lily and Rain declare their love for each other without having had a single conversation." How ridiculous! It's too bad the author didn't take the time to develop the characters, add backstories, and explain the unrealistic situations. Thank you for the fantastic review, though :)
You think YOU were laughing? I think my sound was a bit more of a snort but yes - hilarious.
Thanks for the comments :)
- Dr. Seuss
Eryn Bradshaw
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 71
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eryn-bradshaw.html
Latest Review: The Witchstone by Victoria Randall

Post by Eryn Bradshaw »

Ah, it's a real shame about this book! The summary and book cover really interested me. I really hope the author takes this and works on their character development and narrative. And the explicit sex scenes? I'm totally with you, I really don't mind when it adds to the story, but there's definitely a line that some authors just cross over, wander around, and just never quite hit that mark. I'll take a pass on this, thanks for getting through it and writing the review!
“Live, and be happy, and make others so.”
― Mary Wollstonecraft Shelley
Jackie Holycross
Currently Reading: The 7 Experiment
Bookshelf Size: 306
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-teacherjh.html
Latest Review: 20 World Religions and Faith Practices by Robyn Lebron

Post by Jackie Holycross »

I like magic stories, but lack of character depth and explicit sex scenes are a double whammy for me. Thanks for the info.
Kate S
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 4
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kate-s.html
Latest Review: Raven's Peak by Lincoln Cole

Post by Kate S »

I think the thing that grabbed me the most from your review is the small mountain town they live in and Luke's name. I have to ask, what country is this small mountain village in? Did Lily and her family move there? With names like Lily and Rain, the name "Luke" sort of jars me out of the narrative/premise a little. I think it's important for the names to match the geographical region, if that makes sense.

The random and sudden sex scenes you mentioned made me snort. I have this image in my head where these characters are running for their lives, and all of a sudden they stop to yell, "Everyone, drop your pants now!" And then proceed to do the deed. Talk about random! :D I don't mind sex in a novel either; I just usually prefer it to be a fade out scene where it's clear what's going to happen, but doesn't give explicit details. I also don't mind if there are a few lines in the next scene or chapter that describes if it was generally great or awkward. If there's going to be an explicit sex scene, I'd want it to be for a purpose, like you've said.

As always, great review! I'll trust your word on this one and skip it. It's always a pity when the world isn't fleshed out to its fullest. Especially when you realize that book is only the first one in its series, so the author had time to marathon, rather than sprint the story.
Bianka Walter
Currently Reading:

Post by Bianka Walter »

Eryn Bradshaw wrote: 19 Jul 2018, 19:41 Ah, it's a real shame about this book! The summary and book cover really interested me. I really hope the author takes this and works on their character development and narrative. And the explicit sex scenes? I'm totally with you, I really don't mind when it adds to the story, but there's definitely a line that some authors just cross over, wander around, and just never quite hit that mark. I'll take a pass on this, thanks for getting through it and writing the review!
Ya, sex scenes - cool. Explicit, eye widening, where-did-that-come-from sex scenes... not so sure.
Thanks for reading, Eryn!
- Dr. Seuss

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”