Official Review: The Unfortunate Expiration of Mr. David ...

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Re: Official Review: The Unfortunate Expiration of Mr. David ...

Post by kandscreeley »

bookowlie wrote: 13 Mar 2018, 18:35 Very interesting review. The plot seems busy, but I am intrigued enough to want to read the sample. I don't read a lot of dystopian fiction. However, I liked your comment that the book makes you think about your own choices and where the world is heading; it made me want to know about the story.
The plot is a bit busy. It's not your standard dystopian, but then again is any dystopian normal? Thanks for commenting.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
kislany
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 527
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kislany.html
Latest Review: Golden Skies by Juan Zapata

Post by kislany »

Ever since The Hunger Games, I love dystopian novels. Especially considering that the author might have fixed the formatting issues in the meantime, I'd very much like to read this book. From your review, it looks right up my alley.
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

I do believe the author was at least working on the formatting issues, so that would be a good thing. Thanks for commenting kislany!
—Neil Gaiman
Dolor
Favorite Author: Craig R. Key
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12472
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dolor.html
Latest Review: The Center of Gravity by Patricia Brandon
Reading Device: 1400697484
fav_author_id: 115430

Post by Dolor »

Mr. David S. Sparks wakes up in the middle of a field with no memory of how he got there or who he is. He knows his name, but not much more. Luckily, he finds someone nearby known as either the Preservationist or Calvin. Calvin proceeds to tell him about the world as it is, as well as something called "The Cause."

Scientists started developing ways for people to live longer and longer. While this was great, it created a bit of a problem: there were more people than food. Farmers then came out with new pesticides that helped the crops grow more successfully to be able to feed all the extra mouths. There were, however, unfortunate side effects; people started dying. Even after the pesticides were discontinued, the crops had adjusted, and people continued to die. The land was poisoned. The remnants were forced to move to the sea while the land healed.
I hope these scary phenomena will not happen in the future, though it has a high possibility. They're blaming it to the technology which really has a point. I wonder what decision has they come up with and how the story ends. It's a thought-provoking story. I'm sorry to hear about the distraction you encountered in its formatting. Thanks for the detailed review.
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

Dolor wrote: 14 Mar 2018, 14:52
Mr. David S. Sparks wakes up in the middle of a field with no memory of how he got there or who he is. He knows his name, but not much more. Luckily, he finds someone nearby known as either the Preservationist or Calvin. Calvin proceeds to tell him about the world as it is, as well as something called "The Cause."

Scientists started developing ways for people to live longer and longer. While this was great, it created a bit of a problem: there were more people than food. Farmers then came out with new pesticides that helped the crops grow more successfully to be able to feed all the extra mouths. There were, however, unfortunate side effects; people started dying. Even after the pesticides were discontinued, the crops had adjusted, and people continued to die. The land was poisoned. The remnants were forced to move to the sea while the land healed.
I hope these scary phenomena will not happen in the future, though it has a high possibility. They're blaming it to the technology which really has a point. I wonder what decision has they come up with and how the story ends. It's a thought-provoking story. I'm sorry to hear about the distraction you encountered in its formatting. Thanks for the detailed review.
I'm only hoping that we as a human race can realize our mistakes before something like this happens in the future! Thanks for your comments.
—Neil Gaiman
Libs_Books
Favorite Book: The year of the flood
Currently Reading: Mason Dixon
Bookshelf Size: 273
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-libs-books.html
Latest Review: Dont Panic Its Organic by Dr. Andy Lopez

Post by Libs_Books »

A very helpful review, thank you - it sounds as though it touches on some pretty controversial topics. I love books where the main character knows nothing and you share their perspective as gradually they work out what's going on. However, combining that with jumping around the timeline doesn't sound so good. The habit of leaving endings hanging to make way for a sequel is a sign of a less-talented author, I think. The greats always make you feel that the book has properly ended, even though there may be important matters left to be resolved.
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

Libs_Books wrote: 16 Mar 2018, 08:34 A very helpful review, thank you - it sounds as though it touches on some pretty controversial topics. I love books where the main character knows nothing and you share their perspective as gradually they work out what's going on. However, combining that with jumping around the timeline doesn't sound so good. The habit of leaving endings hanging to make way for a sequel is a sign of a less-talented author, I think. The greats always make you feel that the book has properly ended, even though there may be important matters left to be resolved.
You could be right about that. It's definitely an interesting story, though.
—Neil Gaiman
londonmartine
Currently Reading: American River
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-londonmartine.html
Latest Review: Demon Freaks by J.R.R.R. (Jim) Hardison

Post by londonmartine »

Great review! It sounds like a really good concept - I think I'd like it. But I agree that you definitely have to be very clear when describing new or alternative worlds - feeling lost while reading isn't ideal. I also always like concepts that are scarily close to our own - too many people, not enough food? Oof. Anyway, thanks for writing, I enjoyed it :)
Jaime Lync
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jaime-lync.html
Latest Review: You Are A Christian. NOW WHAT? by James Rondinone

Post by Jaime Lync »

Great review. The format would irk me as well but the story seems so fascinating. Thanks for sharing.
Izesicle
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 140
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-izesicle.html
Latest Review: With Malice Aforethought by Thonie Hevron
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Izesicle »

The title alone drew me in. Not sure how apocalyptic the book is, given the synopsis. We're already in a world given to overpopulation, with pesticides polluting the earth. That said, how realistic the premise is makes the dystopian parts more accessible.

Thanks for stopping by my review.
kwame1977
Currently Reading: The Vatican Protocol
Bookshelf Size: 150
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kwame1977.html
Latest Review: Learn to Play Guitar by Gareth Evans

Post by kwame1977 »

So what will happen when everyone decides not to die. Death is then a necessary evil. Thanks for the review.
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

londonmartine wrote: 17 Mar 2018, 05:37 Great review! It sounds like a really good concept - I think I'd like it. But I agree that you definitely have to be very clear when describing new or alternative worlds - feeling lost while reading isn't ideal. I also always like concepts that are scarily close to our own - too many peopole, not enough food? Oof. Anyway, thanks for writing, I enjoyed it :)
Thanks for reading my review. I always try to be entertaining and informative.
—Neil Gaiman
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

kwame1977 wrote: 18 Mar 2018, 06:37 So what will happen when everyone decides not to die. Death is then a necessary evil. Thanks for the review.
There are many books that agree with you. No death leads to too many people with not enough resources.
—Neil Gaiman
Yoli García
Currently Reading: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
Bookshelf Size: 210
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yoli-garc-a.html
Latest Review: A taste of Cuba by Birgitte Røddik

Post by Yoli García »

Sounds like a good post-apocalyptic story that puts the reader to think about the real future of humanity. I think I might enjoy it. Thanks for the review!
"What matters in life is not what happens to you but what you remember and how you remember it."

-Gabriel García Márquez
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

Yolimari wrote: 19 Mar 2018, 04:51 Sounds like a good post-apocalyptic story that puts the reader to think about the real future of humanity. I think I might enjoy it. Thanks for the review!
Thanks for commenting! I enjoy reading other people's thoughts. If you decide to read it, give me a shout out and let me know if you liked it.
—Neil Gaiman

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”