Official Review: The Lone Dragon Knight by D.C. Clemens

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
kislany
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 527
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kislany.html
Latest Review: Golden Skies by Juan Zapata

Official Review: The Lone Dragon Knight by D.C. Clemens

Post by kislany »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Lone Dragon Knight" by D.C. Clemens.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Lone Dragon Knight is a fantasy novel by D.C. Clemens. If features Mercer, a young man who has lost his memory due to a traumatic event in the past. All he knows is that he has been sold to a Garf, a powerful criminal, and was forced to fight other men and beasts in the arena.

The kidnappers corrupted him with a powerful curse. The corruption was embedded in his arm and was slowly spreading. Many other young people who were corrupted lived very short lives as they were slowly going crazy, but, for some reason, Mercer was able to keep the corruption at bay and be lucid at all times.

After several years of doing the owner’s bidding, he managed to escape. Of course, Garf wouldn’t let such a prized possession go free, so he sent others to capture him. But Mercer evaded them and fled from the area. He soon found himself in an underground ruined city within the mountains, where he discovered a very special, ancient sword holding a dragon’s spirit within. With Aranath at his side, Mercer decided to find those who captured and corrupted him and set out to learn about his real past.

The story was fast-paced and there was always something going on. The book was far from boring. Throughout his journey, Mercer met some strange people, including a vampire called Clarissa who would accompany him for the rest of the trip. Mercer managed to forge some powerful alliances along the way, and his quick wit and knowledge of fighting saved his skin more than once.

Mercer also had a trait that slightly bothered me throughout the entire novel. He was just a young boy, less than 20 years old (more like 17-18 if I understood correctly), but he was wise well beyond his years. The way he talked and the things he inferred from his speech were that of an adult many years older than he was. I was hoping the author would solve this discrepancy by gradually giving us insights about his past, but that was not to happen. You’ll need to read the second book to find anything about Mercer’s past or what made him who he is.

That lack of closure was one of my biggest pet peeves in the book, along with the many grammatical errors. The author has problems with identifying object pronouns, which are those that something is being done to them, for them, or with them. For example, he writes “you promise to leave Trevon and I alone” when the proper form would be “Trevor and me.” Or “giving Clarissa and I” instead of “giving Clarissa and me,” and “He then taught Vey and I the spell” instead of “He then taught Vey and me the spell.” He also wrote “lied deeper” instead of “lay deeper,” and “Unware” instead of “Unaware.” Some of these issues could have been fixed by running the pages through a proofreader (or even pasting the text in Microsoft Word, which would have immediately highlighted such inconsistencies).

The Lone Dragon Knight was an interesting read, but I have to give it 3 out of 4 stars. I love books featuring dragons, but the only dragon in this book was hiding inside a sword. Also, Mercer’s past was left unresolved and I’m still finding issues with Mercer's adult qualities which you don’t usually find in a teenage boy. Teenagers just don’t speak and act like he did. And finally, the grammatical and spelling errors were too many to ignore. I can recommend it to fantasy book lovers who enjoy adventure, and worlds full of magic spells and otherworldly creatures, such as vampires and trolls (and hopefully actual dragons in the next book).

The Lone Dragon Knight
View: on Bookshelves

Like kislany's review? Post a comment saying so!
John Paul Lacapag
Currently Reading: End of the Last Great Kingdom
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by John Paul Lacapag »

the book was so nice, but there's more then this?
kislany
Currently Reading:

Post by kislany »

Yes, there are three more books published after this first one.
John Paul Lacapag
Currently Reading: End of the Last Great Kingdom

Post by John Paul Lacapag »

coz i want to read more of this tittle
zainumer

Post by zainumer »

nice one :o want to see more
Rainish Manasiya

Post by Rainish Manasiya »

Nice story, i would definitely like to read and imagine such story because its pleasure in reading such books. Nice?
Ivy Davie
Currently Reading: Primeval Origins
Bookshelf Size: 5

Post by Ivy Davie »

Interesting story. So addictive. I can read and re-read it so many times.
Emmanuel Oppong

Post by Emmanuel Oppong »

Nice book want to see more of it
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I love the cover of this one. From your review, it sounds like a book I would enjoy. Thanks!
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Mercelle
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 10262">The Wisdom and Peace of the Teachings of the Tao Te Ching</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 204
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mercelle.html
Latest Review: The Future of Finance and Money by K. Braeden Anderson

Post by Mercelle »

Thank you for the detailed review. Mercer sounds like a dynamic character. I like how you dissected this story but it's not my cup of tea though.

Congratulations on Member of the month!! :tiphat:
"The minimum requirement for a dream is a safe place to lay your head."
~OluTimehin Adegbeye
kislany
Currently Reading:

Post by kislany »

kandscreeley wrote:I love the cover of this one. From your review, it sounds like a book I would enjoy. Thanks!
Yep, I think you would enjoy it. It was a pleasant read and faster paced than the previous fantasy novel I've reviewed.

-- 19 Nov 2017, 15:21 --
Mercy Bolo wrote:Thank you for the detailed review. Mercer sounds like a dynamic character. I like how you dissected this story but it's not my cup of tea though.

Congratulations on Member of the month!! :tiphat:
It's definitely not everyone's cup of tea (or coffee!!) :)

Thanks for the congrats. Still another few days to go till the fun is over :D
kingslexasoh1000
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 119

Post by kingslexasoh1000 »

Haven't reviewed this book yet.

-- 19 Nov 2017, 17:21 --

Haven't reviewed this book yet.
:tiphat:
Gunnar Ohberg
Currently Reading: The Nix
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gunnar-ohberg.html
Latest Review: Lemoncella Cocktail by Rene Natan

Post by Gunnar Ohberg »

Sounds like a book I would have to pass. I enjoy fantasy with original elements, and this sounds like a very rote, "by the numbers" fantasy adventure. I'm going to take a wild stab and say Carissa and Mercer fall in love at some point (don't worry about confirming). I also would not enjoy the inappropriate verbosity of the character, the lack of an explanation of his past, and the spelling errors. You are a much kinder reviewer than I am. Thank you for your very insightful review!
kislany
Currently Reading:

Post by kislany »

Gunnar Ohberg wrote:I'm going to take a wild stab and say Carissa and Mercer fall in love at some point (don't worry about confirming).
I'll comment on this part above. No, they actually haven't. In fact, Mercer had the hots for another girl, but that's another story. But then again, I haven't read the second book yet, so I don't know how things will turn out in the future.
Mtsweni Nelsy
Currently Reading: Strong Heart
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mtsweni-nelsy.html
Latest Review: Reconfigurement by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by Mtsweni Nelsy »

That's sounds like an amusing book. I like such books with young characters showing wisdom that is way above their ages. Thanks for the review.

-- 21 Nov 2017, 14:12 --

That's sounds like an amusing book. I like such books with young characters showing wisdom that is way above their ages. Thanks for the review.

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”