Official Review: A Twist of Fate by Mark W. Johnson

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
kio
Favorite Author: Janet Evanovich
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... vermore</a>
Bookshelf Size: 532
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kio.html
Latest Review: "A Twist of Fate" by Mark W. Johnson
Reading Device: 1400697484
fav_author_id: 2658

Official Review: A Twist of Fate by Mark W. Johnson

Post by kio »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "A Twist of Fate" by Mark W. Johnson.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Magic, elves, goblins, gods, and adventure are but a few of the themes that occur in Mark W. Johnson’s A Twist of Fate.

Mlaer and his friend, Eromit set out to find a cure for Mlaer’s wife, Tarna. As a result of trying to find a cure for her, however, their destinies begin to intertwine with others for better or for worse.

As Mlaer’s wife grows sicker by the day, he gets spooked by a religious priest who says Tarna is not long for their world. Determined to seek out the help of a healer, he and Eromit soon discover that their only hope of saving her is to find the star sapphires used to imprison a dangerous tiger god many centuries before. Deep in the city of Tardesh, the path to the tiger god is wrought with many allies as well as dangers. Elves, goblins, golems out for revenge, an evil imprisoned within the forest they travel, and many other ancient powers are at play and have their own agendas. Will Mlaer and Eromit manage to save Tarna from Adannac’s, god of death’s, door? Whom can they trust?

The plot is complex, engaging, and well written, but was still easy to follow. The description is descriptive and accurate to the text. The pace keeps moving and does not drag at all throughout the text. The world building in the story was amazingly well developed, and I was able to suspend my disbelief (as is necessary with all fantasy stories). The magic blended well with the story and worked well with the plotline.

The imagery of the scenery is vivid. The action scenes are descriptive and make you want to keep reading. My favorite parts are when Mlaer uses his magic against a giant to defeat him. His sense of humor shines through the most in this scene and makes you like the character more.

Written in the third person, the book is primarily centered around Mlaer and Eromit’s points of view, but some parts told through the bad guys’ points of view, which adds to the suspense of the novel. Mlaer is a determined, easy to like character who is easy to sympathize with. Eromit is a wise, good friend who balances Mlaer out well. The dynamics between them and the other characters only gets better as the book goes on.

Overall, I’d give it 4 out of 4 stars. The characters are entertaining. The plot is well developed, sophisticated, and keeps you wanting to read more. The magical elements blend into the story well and create a believable fantasy world for the reader. Readers who enjoy adventure, magic or fantasy will be most drawn to this book, but there are enough elements within the book to entertain most readers.

A Twist of Fate
View: on Bookshelves

Like kio's review? Post a comment saying so!
"Books are unique portable magic."-Stephen King
Latest Review: "A Twist of Fate" by Mark W. Johnson
Blue-siren
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-blue-siren.html
Latest Review: Puffy and the Formidable Foe by Marie Lepkowski and Ann Marie Hannon

Post by Blue-siren »

This was a well detail review that made me want to read this book. Nice job on this!
Amagine
Favorite Author: James Patterson
Bookshelf Size: 721
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amagine.html
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 3251

Post by Amagine »

The characters sound well developed and the plot sounds interesting indeed! I love the premise of the characters trying to find a cure to save someone's life. The fantasy in the book is an added bonus!

Great Review!?
"Piglet noticed that even though he had a very small heart, it could hold a rather large amount of gratitude." -A.A Milne

"I am grateful for all the books that sparked my imagination." -Unknown
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
Ebe Read
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 3364">Good Omens</a>
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ebe-read.html
Latest Review: "From Drift to SHIFT" by Jody B. Miller
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Ebe Read »

Hi Kio,
You have written a review that puts me to saying, 'Onward, lead me to the book'. This is my type of entertainment and so I am very happy and exited that you enjoyed it as that makes it clear that I shall too. I will definitly be on the lookout for this book down the line.
Latest Review: "From Drift to SHIFT" by Jody B. Miller
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Wow. This sounds like a good one. I love that the plot is complex but easy to follow. Perfect. Thanks for the review.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”