Review of Grit Enough to Chew Your Legs Off

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Nzube Chizoba Okeke
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 445
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nzube-chizoba-okeke.html
Latest Review: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress by Gustavo Kinrys, MD

Review of Grit Enough to Chew Your Legs Off

Post by Nzube Chizoba Okeke »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Grit Enough to Chew Your Legs Off" by C. Scott Brown.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Grit Enough to Chew Your Legs Off by C. Scott Brown is a paranormal science fiction that retells the story of the creation of the world, including the existence and preexistence of spirits and beings, their relationship with God, and a way to save the world from these spirits. The application of grit seems like a solution to the looming paranormal activities.

System Centre Implementer, also known as Al, is from another planet, Merconiun. His planet intends to cleanse worlds of evil spirits that are believed to live amongst them. System Centre Implementer is sent to Earth to look at the landscape and creatures therein. He meets Lee, a retired lawyer, on his first hike, and they become friends. He opens up to Lee about his personality. He tells Lee that the Earth is in danger because of evil spirits, and he intends to save the Earth and not cleanse it. Will he succeed in this mission?

C. Scott Brown applied a writing technique that takes the readers back and forth, which is pretty interesting. The readers get to understand the habit of different characters and the situation surrounding them. Readers are introduced to different situations until all scenes meet where there's a connection to all of them. This is quite crafty!

The central theme of the novel is the paranormal and religious activities embedded in it. These activities are put into the book to bolster essential points. I like how some stories of the Bible are retold and linked to the happenings in the book. There are spooky scenes to explain some of these paranormal activities. As someone who reads the Bible, it is fascinating to see authors creatively retell some of its stories.

I'd have to commend the cover designer for arousing my interest with the picture of a cockroach. Going deeper into the book, I wondered why a cockroach's image was used in the cover design. It made sense in the end. I'd love to tell you how, but there'd be no fun in that.

It is common for chapter titles to be a few-word synopsis of the chapter content. However, the author did something a little different here. Like the cockroach in the cover design, the title of a chapter would make sense when you're done reading. I wouldn't know if this should be a plus or a minus for the book. I guess readers would decide for themselves.

Looking at this book in hindsight, I'd love to see it made into a movie. There's a lot for which my eyes need an explanation. The only fault I saw was the number of grammatical errors; they watered down the creativity in this work. Therefore, I'd give it three out of four stars. If you enjoy paranormal stories and wouldn't mind the religious foundation of this book, I'd recommend this book to you.

Grit Enough to Chew Your Legs Off
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Pearl Thomas
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pearl-thomas.html
Latest Review: There and Back There Again by Andrew Alsup

Post by Pearl Thomas »

What an interesting review! I like such stories that form connections between scenes. This book seems like an amazing read.
Astral Magi
Favorite Book: Name of the Wind
Currently Reading: Crossroads
Bookshelf Size: 523
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-astral-magi.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by Astral Magi »

I am inquisitive to find out what significance the image has. Thank you for a great review.
🕉Be Here Now⌛
Edit_or
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-edit-or.html
Latest Review: Always Strive to Be a Better You by Pete Hall

Post by Edit_or »

Comprehensive review but not my kind of book. Thank you
Samantha Simoneau
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 240
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samantha-simoneau.html
Latest Review: Dancing With Jesus by Allison Broughton
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Samantha Simoneau »

"I'd have to commend the cover designer for arousing my interest with the picture of a cockroach. Going deeper into the book, I wondered why a cockroach's image was used in the cover design. It made sense in the end. I'd love to tell you how, but there'd be no fun in that."
Now you've caught my interest! Normally the editing issues would keep me away, but I'm curious about how stories from the Bible are ultimately repurposed in a book such as this one. Thanks for the recommendation!
Samantha Simoneau

“But upon the stage of life, while conscience claps, let the world hiss! On the contrary if conscience disapproves, the loudest applauses of the world are of little value."
~John Adams :greetings-clapyellow:
Luchris_michael
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-luchris-michael.html
Latest Review: Rulers of the Galaxy by Tayma Tameem

Post by Luchris_michael »

It's good to read a book that speaks of the existence and pre-existence of certain things. Good review.
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Star Maker
Bookshelf Size: 426
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 36%

Post by NetMassimo »

This book seems to tell an original interpretation of the Bible's creation story with some twists considering the bug on the cover. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
Gabriella1997
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gabriella1997.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by Gabriella1997 »

I love to read books about existence, but am still eager to know why the insect was used as the cover, though it captivated my interest, beautiful review.
Edgestar193
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-edgestar193.html
Latest Review: Randy the Irresistible by S M Goodier

Post by Edgestar193 »

I would love to read the book based on your review. It's quite insightful.
Ntokozo Joy Ndlovu
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: The Last Imprint
Bookshelf Size: 211
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ntokozo-joy-ndlovu.html
Latest Review: The MISOGI Method by Jody B. Miller
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Ntokozo Joy Ndlovu »

Sounds like a fascinating book with mind bending theories. Definitely reading this. Well done on the review.

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”