Review of The Party Line

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Eutoc
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eutoc.html
Latest Review: My Ups And Downs by Sam Barder

Review of The Party Line

Post by Eutoc »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Party Line" by Dennis D. Gagnon.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Party Line by Dennis D. Gagnon is an autobiographical science fiction recounting how the party line theory of consciousness shaped the author’s life. The party line theory of consciousness entails the unconscious conversations between sentient beings through extrasensory means in the ethereal world. These conversations didn’t just affect only the ethereal world; they also affected the real world. Serious physical injuries in the ethereal world could amount to injuries or death in the real world.

As the author was routinely finding his way into the ethereal world, he noticed that his best friend, D., was also making frequent visits to the ethereal world. While the author was conscious of his visits there, D. thought that his visits to the occult world, as the author calls it, were mere dreams. The author became tasked with keeping D. away from danger so that he doesn’t get killed in the occult world, which could amount to him getting killed in the real world. Unfortunately, he witnesses D.’s death in the occult world and consequently in the real world. He has to team up with Percy, D.’s girlfriend, and D.’s ghost to kill the avian-reptilian monster that killed his best friend.

The book is written from the perspective of the author. I find the description of how different voices make up a conversation in the ethereal world intriguing. It’s something unique. For a book that delves into the ethereal world, a non-existent place, the author successfully painted a very descriptive picture of what he intends the reader to picture as the ethereal world in this book. For one, I enjoyed the philosophical approach used to discuss the existence of God and the possibility of life after death. There were also other instances where philosophy was used in the book. It was shown that early scientists, like Einstein, used invalid arguments to confirm some of their scientific research works.

I found the beginning part of the book to be a bit confusing. Initially, it was difficult for me to make out what the party line theory of consciousness entailed. As the book progressed, it started becoming clear to me. Another thing I disliked about this piece is the incomplete character development of Percy. The lack of information about the origin of Percy made my knowledge of this character appear deficient.

I would rate The Party Line 3 out of 4 stars. I wouldn’t give it a perfect rating because it lacked some information, which I feel should have made the story complete. There were only a few errors found in the book. I’m permitted to say that the book is professionally edited. I would recommend this piece to readers who enjoy science fiction books.

The Party Line
View: on Bookshelves
What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.

- Ralph Waldo Emerson
Ailakhu Yusau Aizhebiomon
Currently Reading: Purges of the Soul
Bookshelf Size: 84
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ailakhu-yusau-aizhebiomon.html
Latest Review: Advanced Lotto Rotation System by Joseph Z Vlasic

Post by Ailakhu Yusau Aizhebiomon »

Talking about life after death is an interesting topic to discuss even though, not all readers beleived in it. Great review!
Amy Luman
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: 2084
Bookshelf Size: 1015
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-luman.html
Latest Review: Zona II by Fred G. Baker
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Amy Luman »

I don’t know what to say about this except that it sounds really interesting. I think I’ll enjoy it. Thanks for the great review!
Ramra
Currently Reading: Brandy, Ballad of a Pirate Princess
Bookshelf Size: 10

Post by Ramra »

I think this could make the best sci-fi film. It sounds like a lot of research was put into it and I wonder how the author portrayed God
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Star Maker
Bookshelf Size: 426
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 36%

Post by NetMassimo »

This seems quite a unique novel with an adventure that is used to develop various philosophical themes. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
Jasy95
Favorite Book: To Sleep in a Sea of Stars
Currently Reading: Circe
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jasy95.html
Latest Review: The Data Collectors by Danielle Palli

Post by Jasy95 »

This book definitely sounds unique, but I find it a little odd that it's considered autobiographical. Did the author truly have to team up with his friend's ghost to kill an avian-reptilian monster? Sounds a bit more heavy on fiction then an autobiography.
Ntokozo Joy Ndlovu
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: The Last Imprint
Bookshelf Size: 211
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ntokozo-joy-ndlovu.html
Latest Review: The MISOGI Method by Jody B. Miller
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Ntokozo Joy Ndlovu »

The idea of transitioning between different planes of existence sounds interesting. Definitely adding this one to my must reads. Thanks for the great review!

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”