Official Review: Boomerang Will Not Return by David Crane

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
You must limit each topic thread in this section to only one book or only one series. Make the title of the topic the name of the book, and if possible also include the author's name. If you want to allow spoilers, you must include the word spoilers in the title of the topic, otherwise spoilers are prohibited.
Mercy Bolo
2018 Reading Goal: 48
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 116
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 10262">The Wisdom and Peace of the Teachings of the Tao Te Ching</a>
Currently Reading: Burn Zones
Bookshelf Size: 187
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mercy-bolo.html
Latest Review: Fossil Detectives and the Mysterious Skull by Caren Bonds Hanson

Official Review: Boomerang Will Not Return by David Crane

Post by Mercy Bolo » 20 Nov 2018, 04:25

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Boomerang Will Not Return" by David Crane.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

In the book Boomerang Will Not Return: A Novel of Time Travel, David Crane pieces together a sci-fi/fantasy work with hints of historical fiction. The year is 2014, and two pilots are flying from Germany to the United States. Thanks to a Bermuda Triangle-like phenomenon, they become the victims of a space-time anomaly and materialize in the skies of war-torn Germany in 1942.

The book has two plots running concurrently. Captain Deana Crown and her co-pilot, Major Richard Hartman are trying to survive in Nazi Germany, while the CIA investigates the shocking disappearance of the B-3 Boomerang, the plane that Deana and Hartman were flying. Meanwhile, the B-3's presence in Nazi Germany threatens to rewrite history because its onboard nuclear arsenal could help the Germans win the war. The author weaves these plots to create a compelling tale with unfolding secrets and juicy suspense at every turn.

Through the eyes of the German officers, the author narrates the perils of war. Some of them are skeptical of Germany's victory but wouldn't dare voice their concerns. Hitler's dictatorship threatens anyone who's perceived to be a traitor, therefore upholding the status quo is paramount. It's interesting to follow the two protagonists as they interact with the Germans. Amidst the chaos, the characters' family values remain constant. The author beautifully integrates this theme and reveals some rather emotional moments.

The story's structure is what I liked most about the book. The author presents the work in the form of journal entries and alternates between time periods. I marveled at how each section ended in suspense, which made me feel like I was reading two stories at the same time. On that note, I commend the author for a job well done. The characters are also dynamic, with each one enriching the already well-crafted plot. It was a joy to follow them as they dealt with various challenges.

The content is well-researched, and readers who aren't conversant with aircraft will sail through. The author provides sufficient information about plane models, and I learned a lot from the book. Intelligence agencies like the CIA and the FSB feature throughout the story and the mystique that plays out from the agents' interactions will keep readers glued. The author also presents romantic relationships between the characters subtly and decently, without any distracting sex scenes. That makes the book suitable for a wide audience. There are also a few strategy-focused battle scenes with little gore.

I found some of the German names lengthy, but I learned to deal with them. The author also switched between the characters' first names, last names, and even nicknames. One scene left me confused because I thought there were three people when there were two. As soon as I figured out what name belonged to whom, I got more comfortable with the text. Although the author didn't delve into the science of time travel, I couldn't help but wonder about the physics behind it, primarily how the two time periods existed simultaneously, and how stretching the space-time fabric would affect humanity. I, however, see a bright side because readers will use their imagination to answer these questions.

Besides the praise I have for this book, another positive is that I noticed only two errors. It also lacks a table of contents, but that doesn't prevent me from awarding it a rating of 4 out of 4 stars. I will, therefore, recommend this book to lovers of science fiction, fans of time travel stories, and fans of historical fiction.

Boomerang Will Not Return
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on Smashwords

Like Mercy Bolo's review? Post a comment saying so!
"The minimum requirement for a dream is a safe place to lay your head."
~OluTimehin Adegbeye

Book Lover 35
2018 Reading Goal: 25
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 48
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-book-lover-35.html
Latest Review: 360 Living: Practical guidance for a balanced life by Jacquelyn Salvador and Yvon Dalat

Post by Book Lover 35 » 21 Nov 2018, 00:07

This books sounds close to perfect. I like that there is some paranormal in it and also some time travel. I also have an interest in airplanes, so hearing what the author has to say would be fun too. Thank you for the review!
:tiphat:

Edunwa13
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Edunwa13 » 21 Nov 2018, 00:18

I really love this, thanks for your review

kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
2018 Reading Goal: 115
2017 Reading Goal: 100
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 92
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 94
Currently Reading: End of the Last Great Kingdom
Bookshelf Size: 234
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Third Thaw by Karl J. Hanson

Post by kandscreeley » 21 Nov 2018, 08:28

Wow! This one sounds very intriguing. I can't imagine what would happen if Nazis got a hold of modern technology. I do hope that they find a way to get back home! Thanks for the review. I'll put this on my list.
“There is no friend as loyal as a book.”
― Ernest Hemingway

kfwilson6
Previous Member of the Month
2018 Reading Goal: 100
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 101
Currently Reading: Lord of Chaos
Bookshelf Size: 298
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kfwilson6.html
Latest Review: The Shiny Little Pebble by Pauline Pipa
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by kfwilson6 » 21 Nov 2018, 09:08

I'm not typically interested in any type of war history, but this sounds absolutely awesome. I love books with journal entries, and the combination of the time travel, search for the missing people, and concern about changing the past sound so interesting. Wonderful review. Adding this one to my shelf to read :)

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”